Thursday, December 08, 2005

Weekend Preview

Weekend Preview
The weekend is upon us gentle readers. I plan to be very busy this weekend, what with the holidays and all. I still have some last minute shopping left to do but I know where to go and I don’t think it will be hard for me to finish up on Saturday.

Days
It was Day 19 and it was cold in Southern California [cool for the rest of you out there] so the thought of ice cream did not seem very appetizing to me. It was easy to pass on the ice cream.

Ice cream parlay
As you regular readers know, the Princess is coming home for Christmas. She is flying of Delta because they have the most flights between Atlanta and Los Angeles. The Delta terminal at Los Angeles International Airport has a Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream stand in it.

I’m thinking the Princess could swing past the ice cream place and pick up a big cone for Daddy on her way to meet me at baggage claim. I can suck the ice cream cone down while I wait for her bag to appear.

That seems like a reasonable reward since I am meeting her flight that comes in at 9:30 PM, if it is on time. I have to go to work in the morning and she has to drive out to her mother’s house and crash until it is time to go clubbing with the girls for 2005’s last event on the Take No Prisoners Tour.

The Princess
The Princess called me today to talk about her job interview. It seems to have gone well and she does have the qualifications for the job. I do hope she gets the job because she will give her boss two weeks notice and miss out on the busiest time of the year for her old job.

I figure she can sleep late and crash the post Christmas sales in the malls before she starts her new job. As I recall, she has always maintained that she has never met a sale that she didn’t like.

I also told the Princess to pick a weekend out for me to come visit her in March for her birthday. I plan to cash in some of my Delta Airlines frequent flyer miles for the ticket, assuming they are still in business and sleep at a Marriott with my frequent sleeper points.

Courtyard Observations
As I said earlier, it was cold in Southern California today. That meant a return to the long coats, sweaters, and scarves on the ladies in the courtyard during their smoke breaks. I suppose that this is a seasonal challenge to gazing in the courtyard.

I did happen to notice one young Asian woman today. She stood out for two reasons. First, she was dressed sort of trashy. She looked like she just got out of bed and grabbed whatever was clean from the floor and wore those clothes to work. She did not seem to make any effort over her appearance unlike many of her contemporaries.

Maybe she doesn’t like men. Oh well.

The other reason why I noticed her is that she kept tossing her cigarettes on the ground even though she was either standing or sitting next to a cigarette urn. It would take no effort to toss the cigarettes into the proper container instead of tossing them on the ground.

I guess Ms Trashy has no manners or no respect for the environment or for the fact the building management tries to maintain an attractive and clean building. I wonder how she would feel if we came to her home and tossed our trash on the floor of her room.

Doug
The Big Guy called today to check in after his Film Production class. He said he got his dailies for his final film project and had already half finished the editing work.

I had thought he was working with a group to create the film. It turned out that he did it on his own and used his best friend The R as the actor. Doug said the film was all properly exposed and in focus; those are the two major requirements for the project.

Doug said he needed to cut the film down so that it matches the playing time of a song he wants to use in the background. Obviously, it is a song that I have never heard of. But, then, most of the songs that he listens to are like that.

Earnin’ the Paycheck
I earned my paycheck today. We had a conference call with a proposed new vendor. I had a bunch of questions, five pages worth actually, about the company and their program. In the interest of ending the meeting today, I cut my questions down to about five keys ones.

The sales people from the proposed new vendor went through their song and dance and smoke and mirrors act trying to present a rosy view of their company and their product.

I had read the contract and it just didn’t seem all that rosy. So I asked some pointed questions about the costs of the proposed service, something the sales people glossed over. It turned out that the company had screwed up badly with their initial presentation to my employer. I felt very good about catching them with their facts down.

I also caught my employer’s other consultant falling down on the job. It was like the other consultants were gun decking their report. Gun decking is an old Navy phrase; ask me about it and I’ll tell you what it means and where the phrase came from.

Be well and stay happy and remember that life is too short for warm beer and cheap cigars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home