Sunday, December 11, 2005

Weekend Update

Weekend Update
This was a slow weekend for me. My schedule just did not work out as I had planned. Life is like that sometimes.

Old Office Christmas [Holiday] Party
I went to my old office’s Christmas party on Friday. It was a very nice way to end to end the week except for the almost two hour drive home. Still, you have to set aside these minor inconveniences and remember why you are celebrating in the first place.

The staff had brought in enough food to feed a small army. Well, maybe feeding a small army is a bit of an exaggeration but there was a lot of food and champagne on the table.

We even had some Italian beer. I have never thought of Italy and beer as being in the same sentence. The beer was Peroni and it did taste good. It was a good beer but not what I would call a great beer like Heineken’s, Guinness, and San Miguel.

The office has a gift exchange. They do things differently here. You get to pick your own gift from the wrapped selection or you can pick someone else’s gift. A gift can be taken only three times before it is off limits. If your gift get take, then you can pick a new one or take one from another. It pays to have a high number in the drawing because you have the wider selection to select from.

After the dust settled, I ended up with two DVDs which somehow seems so logical since it is the entertainment finance part of the old bank. I ended up with FOREST GUMP [I have it already] and MISS CONGENIALITY [not in my collection and not a first, second, or third choice for me].

If I get invited back next year, I know what I will give as my gift. Yes, the two DVDs.

The best part about the party was getting to see the staffers. When the bank laid me off, I was gone before they came into work so there was no closure for any of us. The party gave us all a nice closure.

Even the parking lot valets remembered me and let me park for free. I think the cost saving was around $20 and that is always swell, anytime of the year.

Days
It was Day 20 on Friday. I knew there would be plenty of desserts at the Christmas party so I had no desire for ice cream.

For those of you who have been long time readers of the blog, you will no doubt be pleased to know that the long delayed building next door deconstruction had started up again.

I had a chance to observe the work when I was at the Christmas party. I couldn’t see too much progress with the work. Of course, work could have only started a day or so ago.

That filled up my activity card for Friday.

Kindly Dr. Drill N. Fill on Saturday
Saturday was dominated by my semi-annual visit to my dentist. Actually, my dentist is very, very good. I have never had any troubles from any of his procedures over the last twenty years. I came away from the appointment with cleaner teeth and no reported problems.

Big smile.

Why do dentists want to carry on a conversation while they have their fingers and instrument in your mouth? I know I can’t talk very well. I even have trouble hearing what is going on besides.

But, still having a visit to the dentist in the middle of the day, it does block out everything else.

After the dentist visit
I spent the balance of the day running errands and finishing up my Christmas shopping.

I only have one more gift to buy and that will be a certificate. I know I do not have to rush out and buy that one. I know the stores will always have certificates on hand for late shoppers like me. Besides, certificates fit so nicely inside of a humorous Christmas card. Nothing to wrap with a certificate.

I went bye the local computer products company to buy a new Norton Personal Firewall. My subscription is about to run out and it has been two years since I last bought the CD version of the program. I like to have a recent copy of all of the programs on my personal computer is case I have to reload the hard drive after a crash.

It must have been my lucky day because I ended up with $50 worth of rebates for buying two programs that I would have purchased anyway. A $50 rebate is not as good as free. It is still very nice all the same.

After four hours of eating on Friday, I was not in the mood to do any cooking for dinner. I was still on the full side. I ended going to my favorite delicatessen to get a sandwich for my dinner. I am somewhat of a regular there; most of the longer serving employees know me by my name. It is harder to learn the new counter girls’ names; they change regularly as they graduate from high school. Some of the counter girls have asked how long I have been coming to the deli; I tell them that I have been coming off and on since 1978.

One of the counter girls said that was before she was borne. I said it was probably before she was even a gleam in her father’s eye. But, that does sort of make you feel older in a way.

I was looking over the site meter reports on Saturday night because there was not much worth watching on television.

I noticed that one visitor to the blog, gentle readers, was from a law firm. This person must have had a lot of free time on his or her hands because the visitor spent almost 45 minutes reading the blog.

I wonder if I should be concerned or not.

Sunday
I had planned to go to the movies on Sunday. My plans did not turn out as I had thought they would end up.

The theater had its ticket selling computer system crash just before the opening. We were offered a chance to buy a ticket with our ATM or credit cards. I was not in the mood to pay an extra fee to use my ATM card to buy a ticket. I had planned to see either the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA or SYRIANA or both.

As I drove home, I figured out that I could go see the films after work during the week. This would not normally be my fist choice since I wear a suit to work. On the other hand, it is convenient and effective.

Plus, it will give me more time to do things on next Saturday when Doug and I go out for dinner.

Giving up on the theater and its technology, I came home and had my lunch.

After lunch, I worked on my Christmas cards. I managed to finish half of the list. I think I can finish the rest by the middle of the week. The ones that are waiting to be addressed are all local ones so that mailing them on Tuesday or Wednesday is not going to delay the delivery very much.

That was my weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home