Sunday, January 22, 2006

Weekend Update

Things I didn’t do this weekend
Let’s see; there were a lot of things that I did not do this weekend. First, and this is not nay sort of a numerical ranking by any means, I did not see the new Woody Allen film. MATCH POINT. I had planned to see but worked on my dissertation instead. That seems like a better use of my time. I can always go by the DVD in a couple of months.

I was going to exercise. I had planned to start by walking a mile or so and then lifting weights.

I had given some serious thought to writing emails to old friends.

I was going to learn how to transfer images from the new digital camera to the laptop so they could be stored and sent to friends.

I was going to fix my scanner so I don’t have a scanned in .jpg file that is 11.8 MB in size. The original image was a 5 inch by 7 inch / 13 centimeters by 18 centimeters.

Doctor Visit
I went to see my doctor on Friday to get a prescription refilled. The refill was sort of automatic; it is one of the prescriptions that you stay on until you want to die The doctor was pleased with my blood pressure; I think it was 130/78 so if he is happy then I am happy with the blood pressure.

He said I had put on a little weight. I blamed the holidays; we ate well in the office, plus vendors kept bringing in candy and other sweets.

I get to go back to him in two months for my annual physical examination. I wonder which one of my pleasures he will want to cut out then.

Courtyard Views
It wasn’t windy on Friday so that was nice. Instead, it was just really cool so that kept the short skirts away and the long pants and coats out in plain view.

I saw one young lady who really caught my eye. She was wearing a white knit sweater with a bright green bra underneath. The bra did show through the sweater and it made an unusual image. I am pretty certain she is not Irish and planning to get a head start on St. Patrick’s Day. She is Asian American and works for Japan Air Lines.

It certainly was an unusual courtyard view.

Gas Pump Lines
I go to my local gas station for gas regularly. We all do that it in Southern California. This is not a news flash.

Filling your gas tank is rocket surgery by any measure. It is very simple. You drive into the station so that your car’s gas intake pipe will be next to the pump. And, you pull up to the forward pump so someone can pull in behind you and fill up at the same time.

Right, of course, we all know this.

All of which brings me to my observational humor of the night.

Why is that when someone is waiting to fill their vehicle; and, you can see from their facial expressions that they are not happy about the wait, stop their car or truck at the first pump instead of pulling forward?

I mean, there is no additional work involved. The car or truck provides for the movement. The driver’s effort is the same regardless of the pump.

For some strange and unexplored and unknown reason, these drivers act like the jerks that upset them when they had to wait. I could have used a blunter term than jerks but we never know when young children might read the blog so I try to use less harsh terms.

Where are Scully and Mulder when you need them to investigate something this strange?

Visitors
I want to thank the visitors from foreign countries for visiting Balancing Checkbooks. We have had visits from, in alphabetic order, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom. We used to have a couple of regular visitors from South Korea but they stopped visiting when THE IMMORTAL YI SOON SHIN series ended.

The blog had around 270 visitors in December and 2,378 for 2005 that the blog was online.

We also had a visitor from an Arab country in the Middle East. I thought that was absolutely fascinating.

Then, last week, we had two visitors that hung around for almost twenty minutes each on a single visit.

Thank you all for stopping by Balancing Checkbooks.

Movies I Did See
I did make it to the local cinema and saw Terrence Malick’s THE NEW WORLD. I really liked this film; it has an almost surreal nature to some of the cinematography. Like Malick’s last film, THE THIN RED LINE, this film tells much of without the use of dialogue. Malick is visual storyteller and I think this may create a negative audience reaction by the main stream American audience.

The cinematography is the best I have seen in a very long time. The bulk of the film appears to have been shot on location and recreation of North American of 400 years ago in very compelling.

I saw the film at a Saturday matinee because I like saving a couple of dollars here and there. It does add up over time. My particular screening room in the multiplex was less than perhaps a quarter filled.

Changing the subject and venue, I watched three Pinky Violence DVDs that I borrowed from Doug. These films are a unique sub-genre about girl gangs in Japan. This is an acquired taste and I doubt that many of you would enjoy them.

I liked ZERO WOMAN RED HANDCUFFS staring the legendary Miki Sugimoto over FEMALE YAKUZA TALE and SEX & FURY that starred Reiko Ike, another legend in this genre. I think I have developed a taste for the genre and Doug gets the credit for pointing me in this direction.

One of the unfortunate outcomes was this style of film had a very brief window of popularity from about 1972 to 1976 or so and then it vanished. I am not certain why the films lost fans but I suspect that changing habits and society’s views towards violence had an impact. Also, the end of the period of the Pinky Violence films coincided with the rise of video games. Video games are played primarily by young men, the same market as the films. Video games could be played for a fraction of the cost of a cinema ticket.

Doug and I were talking about this genre when we had lunch at the Original Tommy’s Burgers on the last time. We came to the conclusion that an ultimate, no costs be considered road trip would be to go to Japan and see if we could meet the actresses that played in these films.

Then, I did some quick math with going through the Mega Combo triple chili cheese burger. I figured out that the actresses would probably be in their 50s by now or very close to that age. Maybe we should just remember them as they were in the films.

Second choice for the road trip was a Cannes Film Festival instead.

Douguary and Chuckay Event Missed
We missed a potential Douguary and Chuckay Event last weekend. It seems there was an import car tuner event last Saturday. The weather would have been on the cool side and slightly rainy but we still could have made the event.

The event venue location would have been ideal for us. It was out by Sharon’s house so we could have gone to the event and then gone by Sharon’s for lunch or dinner, depending on schedules.

It would have been interesting to see if the import car tuner models wore their bikinis or dressed more appropriately for the weather.

I will, of course, keep you posted on this potentially important event.


That was my weekend. I hope you had fun and rested on your weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home