Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Rainy Day Bright

Rainy Day Bright
The local weather forecast was calling for a chance of rain today. I decided that I was feeling lucky today so I left my raincoat at home. I was lucky and it was sunny but breezy and cool at times today.

Sharon
Sharon called again last night after I posted the blog for the day. Sharon calling two days in a row is way out of character for her, especially since I did not initiate any calls to her.

She called to thank me for sending her another job idea from Monster.com. She said that she wasn’t that comfortable with the job duties so she passed it on to a friend who has experience in the field.

Sharon also said that she still has not applied for the really good job idea I sent her a week and a half ago. I nagged her some more about getting her resume in because if she waits any longer she may miss out because the company may stop accepting and processing resumes for the job. Sharon promised me that she would get the resume out today.

Knowing Sharon, she will complain that she didn’t even get a phone call from the company after sending her resume in and then it is my fault.

Life happens.

Nesting Update
The birds seem to have settled into their nest very nicely. I am guessing that they have eggs in the nest by now. I did notice that the level of bird droppings in the courtyard was up. Either the birds have been eating some bad insects or the maintenance workers are slacking off. I would put my money on slacking maintenance workers.

Blog Visitors
The blog had three more visitors that came from kolabora.com yesterday. I have no idea why or how the site is sending me traffic.

The Skeet Shooters are considered like next door neighbors since those sites are run by my favorite and only son Doug. The Skeet Shooters, and you know who you are, are the largest single group of visitors.

Dissertation
I asked my Committee Chair if there were any specific protocols for submitting a chapter for the Committee to review.

He wrote back and said that to make certain it was completely edited and in perfect style according to the style manual. If there were any errors, it would be returned to me. I had asked another post doctoral student to read and edit the work. I think I have corrected all of the style errors. I will go back over the chapter this evening just to make certain I have not forgotten anything.

In spite of all of my work and my friend's work, I am highly confident that he will find something wrong with what I have written. It is the nature of things in the academic world.

Japanese Managers
I think I have mentioned before that there is a Japanese airline that has offices in the same building where I work currently. If I haven’t mentioned that before, I work in the same building as a Japanese airline company.

Today, during the mid-morning smoke break, there were a half dozen male managers, all in a circle, smoking away, happy as could be. They were bowing so often to each other that it looked like a bunch of chickens pecking for corn in the barnyard.

I thought it was fascinating to watch.

EASY RIDER
Doug asked me to proof read his paper on EASY RIDER. I had the second draft to look at last night. It was not his best work. I did what I could with what I had to work with and that was not very much.

I called him today and we talked about the paper. He agreed with me that it did need some work, especially in the beginning. I suggested that he move a paragraph from the last part of the paper to be the introductory paragraph since it contained two really good quotes that would help set up the entire paper, especially considering where he wanted to go with the paper.

I also suggested that he could toss in two moderate sized paragraphs about the use of music in the film. I felt that this could help distinguish his paper. He will probably ignore my suggestion.

Doug
When I was talking to him this morning, he said he had to go to an alumni luncheon at school. He got invited because he made the Dean’s List. The luncheon was not his idea of fun. I pointed out that this could be an excellent opportunity to build network contacts in the film industry because he was being showcased as a top student in his program. Doug did allow that this was true and that he would make an effort to be personable and search out useful contacts.

Administrative Professionals Day
I brought in the box of Fairy Tale Brownies today since it was Administrative Professionals Day. The women loved the brownies as I knew they would and thought I was extremely considerate for doing so.

I think I could have heard more nice comments but it was difficult for them to talk with their mouths full of brownies.


All in all, today was a much better day for me.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home