Wednesday, April 12, 2006

early Weekend Preview and Programming Note

Early Weekend Preview and Programming Note
I know that I am early with the Weekend Preview edition of the blog. I think it is better to be early than to be late. Besides, as I mentioned earlier I am going out to dinner on Thursday night. I am thinking I will not be home early enough to toss out of blog posting. It would be really foolish of me to rush home from dinner to post a blog when I will be dining with the younger woman who will go to the Count Basie Orchestra performance at the end of the month. This posting will have to make do for today and tomorrow.

Furthermore, if we have a good time at dinner, she may end up with an invitation to the Chuckay Dinner at Morton’s in May. No need to create conflict or ill will with the young lady.

Chuckay
Typing about Chuckay and food got me to thinking that Doug and I ought to visit our usual fast food haunts during Chuckay as well. There is always room for a trip to Albertacos, Fatburger, and the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers at Rampart and Beverly in downtown Los Angeles.

If we visit for Chuckay, then our next likely time to visit these places will be towards the end of Summer and that is a long, long way away.

Job Searching and Interviewing
The company that emailed me phoned me today. They want to set up a telephone interview first. That makes sense although I was a little disappointed with the long lead time of scheduling the phone interview for the afternoon of May 2nd.

Nothing like planning ahead I guess.

I suppose that they would call me in for a live interview if I do well on the phone interview.

The company where I am working had their CEO announce his retirement yesterday evening – early this morning. He had been talking about retirement recently but he has always been talking about retirement. This retirement will obviously have a potential adverse affect on my consulting work for the company since he was the one who brought me into the company.

Some of the employees asked me if I was going to apply for the job. I was surprised that they considered me a candidate for the job. I said that I had not thought about it all that much.

After some reflection, the job is something to consider. It is only seven miles / eleven kilometers from my home. The close location would certainly result in some substantial gasoline cost savings to say nothing of the wear and tear on the car or my physical adn mental conditions. Plus, if you are the CEO, you don’t have normal work hours that everyone else has so I would not have to show up precisely at 8:00 AM nor leave after 5:00 PM every day.

I do have an advantage over many potential candidates since I know the organization and the staff better than they would know it. I know most all of the directors and they are acquainted with me and my ability. There would be a very short learning curve for both the company and its board of directors and me.

I will talk with the CEO first before I make my mind up about this job opening.

Dissertation
My phone call to my Committee Chair went better than I had hoped for. I was able to get my confusion clarified quickly so that I will be able to pound out the first chapter this weekend.

I now understand what I need to put into the section. This section should add another page or two to the chapter and that is better than being short.

Weekend Preview
My weekend has about four or five activities set up so far. On top of the list is finishing Chapter 1 of my dissertation. That is the most important event for me.

I plan to go to the theater and see As U Lik It, an updated, set in Southern California, version of Shakespeare’s As You Like It. I am looking forward to the performance. Since I will be going by myself, I do not have to get as dressed up as I normally would do.

Besides, there is rain in the forecast for Saturday so why get dressed up only to get rained on.

I have to do some laundry and that will be Saturday morning while I read the newspaper and do the sudoko puzzle.

I had not planned to go to Barnes & Noble but they sent me a fat email discount coupon that expires on Sunday. I hate to pass up on a fat discount. I am currently wading, almost literally, through a reprint of a biography of Thomas J. Jackson who is better known by his Civil War nickname of Stonewall. The book was written after the Civil War by a retired British army colonel. His grammar style is on the ponderous and complicated side. I had made a mental promise not too buy another book until I finish this one.

It is not a very filling or exciting weekend by any measure. But, it is my weekend.


Be well and stay happy and I will see on Sunday with the usual Weekend Update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home