Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Waiting for Xue

Waiting for Xue
I am waiting for Xue to respond to an email I sent her last night. I am about half way through her paper and I have been busy with suggestions for changes so it is more like an American English school paper. I wanted to be certain that what I was doing was what Xue had in mind before I sunk any more time into the project.

As you know, I have had a good deal of experience in reviewing and suggesting improvements to school papers; I did three papers and a PowerPoint presentation this semester for Doug. I expect that Xue may ask me to look at her papers when she comes to the States. I will be happy to help her over the next two years of graduate school studying in the States.

Haruku 17
My Japanese serial ended on Sunday at episode ten. I was expecting that there were more episodes and that I was going to miss them. As it turned out, there were only ten episodes so I was fine. The show could have gone on for more episodes and developed some of the characters more.

Oh well, I was not the producer so I will just move on to the next series that starts on Sunday. The new series is called Dragon Zakura and it looks like it takes place in a Japanese high school or middle school. Since I have no other plans for Sunday night, I will give it a look and see what develops.

Weather
We had rain in Southern California on Monday. It was a fairly good storm by our standards for this late in the year. The rainfall where I live was about a half inch /one centimeter. That was more than enough to make a mess of the car’s paint. I have water spots all over my car and mud on the sides.

Programming Note
This weekend is our Memorial Day Weekend and Monday is a holiday. That means the Weekend Update will appear on Monday instead of the usual Sunday posting. I will try to put a better blog posting together on Monday so that you don’t feel cheated on your daily reading quotas.

Cosmetics Class
There were coz classes again today and this got me thinking.

What will the coz class girls wear when the weather turns really warm in the Summer?

I know that they love to wear black; but, black is not the best color to wear for Summer. It will be very warm and probably uncomfortable for them. Long black pants seem like a poor choice for the Summer also.

A couple of the coz girls were sitting on the bench outside of my office during their smoke break this morning while I was on the telephone with a vendor. One of them had tattoos on her shoulders and I am guessing on her arms as well. I had gone for a couple of weeks without seeing any really bad tats. Today seemed to bring them out. Another woman had tats on both of her calves and maybe there were more that I could not see, thankfully.

Does this mean that in the Summer, tats will become more visible because the young women are wearing less clothing? That was a sobering thought for me.

Vendor Reference Checks
I am doing vendor reference checks today on a new program that my client credit union is thinking of offering. A reference check is designed to validate the vendor's claims and to determine the level and quality of their service to their customers. Usually, it is a waste of time because the vendor picks only those companies that will say the vendor is doing a wonderful job. Even though the answers are almost always positive, you have to go through the motions.

Today, I hit the reference call jackpot.

I picked four clients from a list of twelve that the vendor supplied to me. I was only able to contact three of the four clients. One client said they were no longer doing business with the company. Another client said the fees the vendor charged were too high and were planning to make a change soon.

Another vendor’s reference list contact person at another credit union died last year.

You have no idea how embarrassed I felt when the operator told me the man died last year. I blamed the bad information on the vendor.

This lack of attention to detail made two of the three vendors look particularly bad in my eyes. Tomorrow, I will review some of the preliminary findings with the senior management. They will enjoy the laugh at the vendors’ expense. Then, we will wonder about the vendors’ ability to deliver on their promises.


Not a great day for me but better than some other days.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home