Thursday, June 15, 2006

Blown Hard Drive

Blown Hard Drive
The hard drive on the personal computer I have been using at work blew up today. Normally, this would not be much of a problem. The work product should have been saved on the servers so it should be there when I was given a replacement computer. Unfortunately, the computer was not mapped properly and the work product was stored on the computer’s internal hard drive, the one that crashed badly, instead.

Hopefully, the IT guys will be able to recover the data on the drive. Otherwise, I am looking at recreating an eleven page document that had all of the contract changes that needed to get made. That is no way to start a weekend.

Obviously, I did not get very much done at work today.

In retrospect, this was not unforeseeable. The company likes to do everything as cheaply as it can. It buys cheap equipment that does not last. Instead of buying a new computer, the company will probably buy a new hard drive because that is cheaper. The company is penny wise and pound foolish and the employees are the ones who have to suffer the most for it.

Sharon
My friend Sharon called me today to see how things were progressing in my job search. She is anxious for me to get a president’s job so I can hire her for a marketing position. Sharon has a couple of promising jobs that seem to be falling into her lap. They would probably pay more and are closer to her home than anything I might be able to offer her.

I would be deluding myself if I thought she was interested in the jobs because I was such a great person to work for. My big attraction is our long personal relationship that she could use to slack off work and keep her own hours instead of contributing to the overall goals of the organization and being a part of the team.

Weekend Preview
Doug is coming over for Father’s Day on Saturday and we will have lunch at the main location of the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers in downtown Los Angeles. I will have a Mega Combo again; I think Doug will as well.

My dentist appointment for early Saturday morning got cancelled by my dentist. I still have an eye checkup where I expect to have to get some new lens.

Saturday is shot with those two events so I will do some laundry and some cleaning on Saturday. If the weather is good after lunch, I will hit the balcony with my biography of Thomas J. Jackson and a cigar to smoke and read and relax.

I plan to write on Sunday in the dissertation and that will finish off the weekend for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home