Thursday, June 08, 2006

I'm Almost Free of Earthlink

Free, Free at Last; I’m Almost Free of Earthlink
I cancelled my Earthlink.net DSL service today and that made me feel so very good. Tomorrow, I will sign up with Verizon for their DSL service. I figure I should be able to complete the transition to Verizon by the end of First Quarter 2007. I will miss my soon to be old and forgotten Earthlink email address.

But, as the Doug says, it is what it is.

Doug
Typing about the Doug, he called me yesterday to let me know he survived his polling place duties. I don’t think they were overwhelmed with only 175 voters showing up to vote over a twelve hour period. That works out to one voter every four minutes.

75% of the eligible voters stayed home on election day in California. This is what happens when the campaign is one of the dirtiest and nastiest on record. Voters get disgusted and stay home. We feel the candidates are all crooks and untrustworthy.

Now, we are in a rest period until after early September when the campaigning begins again in earnest.

Doug also called to say that he received an "A" in his American Cinema class. This was a class that he was not necessarily expecting an "A" so that news was very welcome.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I sent the second written exercise off to the recruiter today. I was not that excited about this job. I know I could do a great job for the company. But, I could not get as excited as I did about the one where I am working now.

I plan to talk to the recruiter on Friday and see where things stand for me with the two jobs. Maybe she will have some encouraging news for me.

One of the company’s retired managers from where I am working called me today. We had not spoken since her retirement party last year. She called to encourage me to apply for the soon to be vacant President’s job.

I told that I had applied for the job. She said she was very happy for the company because I was the best candidate for the position and she hoped I got it because she knew that I could do great things for the company.

Phone calls like that can sure make a day go by faster. It is nice to know that she thought enough of my ability to call me and encourage me.

Now, all I need to do is land the job.

Weekend Preview
I am going out to see Doug on Saturday to drop off my digital camera so he can take it with him when he visits his sister in Atlanta. We will be going to Albertacos for lunch.

But, you knew we would be going out for lunch didn’t you.

I would like to write between five and ten pages with the dissertation over the weekend.

The weather has been cloudy and overcast all week long so it looks like I will not be out smoking and reading this weekend.

And, finally, I need to go to the post office to mail a package to a friend in Hong Kong and another package to a friend in Johannesburg. I also have to go buy a new version of my Norton System Works and Anti-Virus software.

Maybe I will do some cleaning around the place. That would be it for the weekend. I will have a new Weekend Update posting out for you on Sunday sometime. I will try to upload a new photo or two for you.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home