Sunday, June 11, 2006

Singleness or Single-hoodedness

Weekend Update
I did not do very much this weekend in terms of major events. I did do a lot of little things here and there. Saturday was an organized errand day for me.

On my way out to see Doug to drop off my digital camera, I stopped at the ATM for cash for lunch. Then Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, I picked up some tea leaves for the Princess and had some coffee ground for her roommate. Doug will be able to fit the containers into his large duffle bag when he goes to Atlanta in a week.

I stopped at Office Depot to buy some Cross pen refills. I have one two Cross pen and pencil sets; both given to me by former girl friends. Just because they were from former girlfriends doesn’t mean that I should toss them out.

I was ten minutes ahead of my schedule when I was checking out of Compu USA where I picked up a new copy of the Norton Anti-Virus software. I should have stayed longer at Coffee Bean and enjoyed the free cup of coffee that I was entitled to for buying a pound of coffee.

The drive out to South Orange County was relatively easy. Traffic was moving freely and there were no incidents to delay traffic. There was the usual quote of drivers who were not as attentive as they should have been.

Doug and I had lunch at Albertacos. It was a fine filling meal. My dinner was a small salad and a small sandwich. I did not have any room for a full meal. We talked about the upcoming trip and a little bit about school.

On my way home, I stopped by the drug store and picked up a prescription and I also went to the post office to mail a package to a friend in China. My friend in China works for a consulting firm so I sent her a special report on doing business in China and a CD full of copies of articles from two major American management consulting companies. They had a number of articles on doing business in China and Asia. I think she will find them interesting.

I watched my Saturday Japanese historical serial. Talk about time jumps; I missed last week when I went to see the musical. The samurai’s wife had just told him that she was pregnant in the episode from two weeks ago. Last night, their daughter was now about a year old.

That was my Saturday.

Doug
Doug called to tell me that he received four “As” on his report card for the Spring Semester. I told him that I was very proud of him and his work. I also told him that I had never been able to get four “As” when I took History as my major in college.

Epic performance Doug.

Foreign Visitors
We had visitors from the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada this past week. It looks like it was Commonwealth visitors’ week. I decided to include Canada as a visiting group so they won’t feel badly.

Verizon
Verizon is my local phone company. I tired to sign up for their DSL service over the phone on Friday.

The sign up process was nothing that would inspire confidence with their ability to handle and manage technology smoothly. Since I have been their customer for only twenty eight years, I thought that they should be able to locate my within their data base by my phone number. It is, after all, unique.

Can’t do that.

I had to give the sales person my name and address at each stage of the process. That took too much time; in all, I spent about forty minutes on the phone and accomplished nothing.

I wanted to add my cell phone line to my home phone bill so I would have one less bill to pay each month. I gave the sales person my cell phone number; she told me their system did not recognize my number. I know they have me in their system. I read the phone number off of the most recent bill. I have had that phone number since 1989. Personally, I think the sales person entered it wrong and did not want to admit to making a simple error like that.

After telling the sales person three times to move the microphone from her headset closer to her mouth and being ignored, I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor was like a wind up doll; all he could do was to apologize for my problems.

The supervisor was unable to help me because the computer system was not functioning properly. He said that if the address wasn’t entered just so; the computer would reject it. That got me to thinking that data enter is simply a matter of filling specific information in specific boxes.

I caught another tech worker lying to me. They really need to work on their lame excuses; people will catch on soon enough.

I tried to sign up for Verizon online when I got home. This process was much smoother and efficient. I did not have to deal with any human for the most part. I did learn that the bulk of Verizon’s tech support was located in the United States so that means the workers will speak American English after a fashion; this is a much better solution than the help desk in India.

If all goes well with Verizon and that remains to be seen if it will, I should have DSL service back by June 19th. Not as soon as I would like but it is much better than dial up.

Singleness or Single-hoodedness
I thought I would bring you all up to date with Nurse Beth.

I spoke to my friend Lisa on Friday. I wanted to see how she was doing; getting better day by day and seeing the doctor every other day for last week and next week.

Then, we moved on to the heart of the call, Nurse Beth. Lisa seems determined to find me a female companion. I wanted to know more about Nurse Beth. I knew that she did not have email and that was a surprise.

Based on what Lisa had previously shared with me, I am guessing that Nurse Beth is in her late 40s or early 50s. Lisa told me that Beth has been widow for two or three year. Lisa went on to say that Beth was about her height but that she had a fuller figure and that Beth had blondish brownish hair.

Lisa told me that Nurse Beth was interested in me. When she gave Lisa her phone number after Lisa told Beth all about me, Beth added a parenthetical that said “Possible date for Chuck.” That would seem to be an indication of interest to me.

I wonder how many lies or how much truth stretching Lisa told to get Beth interested in me

I told Lisa that I would call Beth over the weekend and see what happens. I think I mentioned that I would probably call on Sunday. I suspect that Lisa has called Beth and told her to expect a phone call from me today.

During my afternoon writing break, I phoned Nurse Beth and left her a message that I called and left her my phone numbers.

Nurse Beth called me back this afternoon. She had gone to the air show at the Van Nuys Airport this afternoon. It sounded like she had a good time.

We talked for about an hour or so with no one special topic coming up. Nurse Beth likes to work on weekends because it is easier to get to work at her hospital then. That obviously creates a potential time conflict since I work the normal business hours. It remains to be seen how we will work this out.

Beth talked me into meeting her after work on Tuesday at the local Starbucks. She said that she doesn’t drink Starbucks coffee. It is a convenient meeting location. Beth seemed sort of eager to meet me.

I should point out that the former Ms Flaky also was very eager to go out with me and then proceeded to cancel out on two successive events with weak excuses.

This brings up a minor programming note. I don’t think there will be a blog posting on Tuesday since I have to go meet Nurse Beth after work. I do not think I will be home until sometime between 10:00 and 11:00 PM. That is too late to start to write a blog posting. However, if I drink too much coffee, I may be up with a blog posting if I can not get to sleep.

That was my weekend. I hope your weekend was good for you.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home