Monday, May 29, 2006

Weekend Update

Car Wash
I had my car washed at the office on Thursday. It needed to be washed and having it done while I was at work was convenient for me. I was very pleased with how well the Prelude looked when the crew was finished with it.

The Prelude looked shiny and very nice. I had the crew hand wash, all washing is by hand, and wax the car. I also had them shampoo the carpets in the front seats. With the Prelude coming up on eighteen years of fun driving, the carpets needed the shampoo.

The cost was a very reasonable $40.

If I had taken the Prelude to the regular car wash, it would have received a mechanical wash and hand wax for $40 and no shampoo.

Visitors, Foreign and Domestic
We had significantly fewer foreign visitors this past week. As you know, I do not think of Canada as being a foreign country, eh. The big surprise this week in the foreign visitors was that we had two different visitors from Malaysia and that was unusual for the blog. We also had one visitor each from Japan and the United Kingdom.

Babe of the Moment



I thought I would toss out another photo of the current Babe of the Moment, Sharon Tay. Eye candy is never fattening and always enjoyable.

I think I will put up a new Babe of the Moment during the week. This will give you a reason to visit the blog won’t it?

Xue’s Project
I finished up Xue’s Project and sent it back to her early on Saturday morning. I think I spent about ten or twelve hours revising and editing her paper. Xue has to go through the changes that I made to make certain I did not change any of the theme or ideas of the paper.

I also told Xue that I would be willing to do this editing work for her when she is her American graduate school in Michigan in the Fall. My guess is that she will accept the offer.

I did learn a fair amount about China’s urban poor problem and what is being done to correct the problem. I do not know how successful China will be in its drive to eliminate urban poverty.

Xue sent me an email late on Sunday night. She loved what I did with her paper, especially since I was able to keep all of her ideas and thoughts and only made grammatical changes. It’s nice to be appreciated for your work.

Carbon Dating Myself
I have a television set where you have to turn a knob on the set box to change the channels.

Books
I went to the local Barnes & Noble bookstore on Saturday morning to pick up a book that my good friend Ling had recommended to me.

I was out of books to read since I had finished off the last book that the Princess had given me for birthday. The three books from her were an easy and relaxing read for me.

I needed to get a book or two since the weather has turned summery and I like to read while I smoke a cigar on the balcony. I had thought Ling’s book recommendation, The Alchemist, would be a fairly long book. It is on the short side at only 167 pages. Since it is in a larger size font and with the smaller pages of a paperback book, I knew I would need another book to read.

The other book is called The Island of the Seven Cities. The second book presents a very recent theory that the ancient Chinese had sailed from China in wooden junks, rounded the Cape of Good Hope, and established a thriving colony on Cape Breton Island in Canada long before Columbus sailed for the New World.

I thought that was just an absolutely fascinating premise and one that should prove interesting reading.

And, on a related note, time really flies.

The bookstore was selling 2007 planners and 2006 is not even half over. I guess time really does fly.

But, if time does fly, does time fly first class? Does time ever have lost bags? Does time get stuck next to an unpleasant person in the row?

Maybe, time is different from you and me.

University of Utah
I got a call, voice messages actually, from one of my friends at the University of Utah. In the interest of full and fair disclosure, our relationship is more like that of donor and donee and I am the donor.

I believe in making charitable contributions and I have supported the College of Humanities over the years. I know I am not anywhere close to a major big time donor. The College doesn’t usually get much in the way of specific donations because many graduates end up with emotionally and intellectually rewarding but low paying jobs.

I think I have given the College enough where they could name a door after me. That would be neat, the Charles F. Reinhardt, Jr. Door. The Door would probably lead into a closet.

Anyway and back to story, my friend Tim called to say he was going to be in town in early June and wondered if I was available for a lunch. I returned his call and left him a message that said I would look forward to having lunch with him. I expect that we will connect sometime next week and firm our plans up.

The other reason Tim called was to have me pass on some information to the Princess about some upcoming job openings at the U. The Princess worked for Tim at the Children’s Miracle Network in Salt Lake City after she graduated from the U. Tim felt the jobs would be perfect for the Princess if she wanted to move back to Salt Lake City.

Being the good father, I dutifully phoned the Princess on Thursday night and left her a message. I don’t usually get a hold of the Princess on Thursday nights; she works a 4 day / 40 hour week and has Fridays off.

I did catch up with the Princess on Friday. It turns out that she and her roommate had gotten an early start on the long Memorial Day Weekend by hitting a few of their favorite clubs the night before.

We talked about Tim’s job call and why it might make sense to call him and at least explore the opportunities. I pointed out that if she was in Salt Lake City that it would be easy to come home to Southern California on long weekends like Memorial Day and Thanksgiving. The Princess did agree that this was true. She did agree to call Tim next week and talk to him about what the jobs were about.

The Princess said that they do celebrate that Yankee holiday, Memorial Day, in the South. She said that they, the Southerners, remember all of the gallant young men who died in defense of The Cause. The Princess said she and her roommate would be celebrating all weekend long. I expect that Tuesday, when she has to go back to work, will be a very long day for her and her roomate.

The Memorial Day Holiday was originally established after our Civil War by the Union Army survivors [Northern or Yankee] to remember and commemorate the dead from the war. This was a relatively easy task since the majority of the country’s national government leaders were Union army veterans. Since our country has fought in a number of other wars since then, now, we celebrate the sacrifices of all service members from all of the wars. In time, the older veterans die off and those who are left do not often understand the sacrifices that the veterans made.

I served in the United States Navy during the Viet Nam War. Sailors did not usually come home with long term injuries. I came home with a partial hearing loss that will probably become worse in the coming years so that I will have to wear a hearing aid.

Like some veterans, I have periodic flashbacks. I have been dealing with the flashbacks since I came home in 1969. The flashbacks are not going to cause me to go off and do something incredibly stupid or dangerous; they are just part of my life and always will be.

Work and the Building
The building where I am working now has been having one of the elevators repaired for about two weeks. If I worked on an upper floor, I would have some concern about the other elevators. It must be upsetting for those who work on an upper floor of the building to come to work everyday and see the same repair crew crawling in and out of the elevator shaft all day long.

I know I would be concerned and might start using the building stairs to reach my floor. Taking the stairs would be good exercise and I would not have to wait for an elevator car to arrive on my floor.

The building management company put up a notice on Friday that said they were upgrading the elevators and that this would take several weeks. It seemed to me that they should have put the notices up sooner.

We had our spur of the moment pot luck on Friday. My Greek Caesar Salad went over very well. There was only one serving of salad left at the end of the day and I let one of the staffers who just raved about it take it home with her. I probably ate more than I should have eaten at lunch. I was still semi-full at dinner time that I ended up only having a snack.

Lunch was filling. We had fried chicken, my salad, my gringo rice [cooked by someone else], enchiladas, chips and salsa, and soft drinks. There was no dessert but then I didn’t have much room for dessert serving. I guess the donuts that we had in the morning were our early dessert.

Cosmetics Class
There were more coz classes on Friday.

I wonder why anyone would schedule a class on a Friday before a three day long weekend. Surely, none of the students have their minds on what is being taught in the class. I expect the instructor was not thinking about the lesson plan either.

Some of the students dress choices seemed to amaze me. There was one rather large student who sat down outside of my office during a smoke break. It was hard not to notice her since she was very loud. I noticed that her choice of clothing seemed rather odd to me. She was wearing very tight tee shirt, the idea of a sausage casing did come to my mind. This tended to accentuate her weight problem. To make matters visually worse, her tee shirt did not cover all of her; her stomach sort of peeked out from under the bottom of the tee shirt in a pinkish roll.

Far be it from me to be a fashion critic; dress choices like that just make me wonder why?

Since it is the start of Summer for us, the coz class girls were wearing less clothing and showing off more skin including some good and some not so good body art [tattoos].

I did notice one coz girl who had some attractive and not too garish tats. She had a small heart on the Achilles tendon of each leg. I thought that was not excessive and generally attractive to me. Of course, she could have had more tats in places where I could not see them in the glaring light of day. This student had short hair that she had pushed together to create what is called a Faux Hawk hair style. Doug had to explain the style to me.

Overall, I thought she looked very attractive in an untanned sort of way.

Dissertation
I didn’t get as much writing done as I wanted to do this weekend. I managed to get in a good fifteen pages. My goal was twenty to thirty pages so I am satisfied.

I did manage to organize my reference material better; actually, I made a good start on organizing the material. If I am lucky, I will be able to finish the organization work by the end of the week. That was a significant event since I have about 175 pieces of reference material. This will make it easier for me to write on the coming weekends.

Weather
The weather at the beach was great this weekend. It was sunny and warm after the early morning clouds burned off. I did go out on the balcony to smoke and read on all three days this weekend.

Bar-Be-Que
My old standby, the bar-be-que, is not looking too swell right now. I have a Weber brand kettle bar-be-que and it is almost thirty years old. Being outside and exposed to the damp, salty, beach air has not been kind to its metal body. Rust is showing through in several spots.

I was scooping the ashes out of the fire box section on Saturday in preparation for cooking. I was using a trowel and I managed to puncture a hole in the pan that catches the ashes. That came as a surprise to me.

I suppose that I can find replacement parts and that would be fine except for the fact the overall condition is deteriorating and will continue to do so. I am inclined to wait and make a decision next year. I am fairly confident that it will last through this year at least.

My cooking was just excellent; I cooked steaks and chicken so I have steaks and chicken to eat into next week.


That was by weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home