Sunday, June 18, 2006

Weekend Update and Train Wrecks

Weekend Update and Train Wrecks
My evening with Nurse Beth was not what I had in mind. Doug called it a train wreck. Lisa the Matchmaker said maybe it was not such a good idea. Lisa was much kinder than Doug.

Nurse Beth and I are two different types of people. I have three cell phones, four email accounts, a very, very low ICQ number, and a love of the Internet. Nurse Beth has no cell phone, no email, and no Internet access.

We agreed to meet at a Starbucks a couple of blocks from the hospital where she works. I got there a head of the scheduled meeting time; traffic on the freeway was lighter than I thought it would be for a Tuesday evening. That’s when I discovered it was closed for repairs.

I had no way to contact Nurse Beth so I just sat and waited for her to arrive.

When she arrived, she was very surprised that it was closed. We talked for a few minutes and she suggested that we go to a local Mexican restaurant instead. Nurse Beth gave me some directions and said it was only a couple of blocks away.

I was driving in what I thought was the proper direction based on her instructions. Nurse Beth pulled along side of my car at a traffic light and said that she might have the directions wrong.

Great.

I found another place and we ended up there. It turned out she had not eaten dinner so I got to pay for an unplanned dinner. The replacement restaurant was nice. I wouldn’t go there again because it is really out of my way. If I lived closer, then, I might go there.

We talked for most of the hour while we played with our meals. It seems that we do have some things in common but I am not certain that one could build a relationship on them.

We also have more differences. I tend to know where things and locations are; Doug calls me the Navigator. I like things very orderly. I am very organized. I plan ahead and I have multiple options thought through before I leave my house.

Nurse Beth is not like this at all.

As we leaving the restaurant, Nurse Beth asked me if I was going to call her. I said that I would.

I am uncertain if I want to give Nurse Beth another chance and see if things could be better on a second meeting. Part of me says that I should give her another chance and another part of me says it is time to cast loose the mooring lines and head out to sea, in search of a new female companion.

Maybe Lisa the Matchmaker was right when she said that it sounded like we would not work well together.

Father’s Day
I celebrated Father’s Day yesterday with Doug. He is flying to Atlanta today to spend the week with his sister.

Doug gave me a DVD, FORT APACHE, that I needed to complete by John Wayne – John Ford 1870s United States Army cavalry trilogy. Doug drove to my house and then I drove us to the original location of the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers in downtown Los Angeles for a lunch of Mega Combos.

His sister, the Princess, also gave me some DVDs that I did not have. I now own the Cecil B. DeMille Collection and RONIN. Doug said RONIN is great film with Robert DeNiro and Jean Reno. We had both seen it on the big screen and really liked it.

The Princess called me today to wish me a Happy Father’s Day. She was on her way to pick up her mother and brother at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta. I kept the conversation short because I do not approve of driving while talking on a cell phone.

Tonight, I will grill myself a steak and have it with a baked potato and a sliced tomato for dinner. Nothing very fancy for me; just simple food.

All in all, it was a good Father’s Day for me

Eye Examination
I got lucky with my eye examination on Saturday. I did not need a new prescription this time around; I will in a year for sure. I just hope my glass frames will last another year. It looks like I will have to go regularly now for eye examinations because of my diabetes.

It could be worse for me so I can live with an annual vision check.

I don’t look forward to dealing with the clerical staff though. They have less of a personality of than most of the robots in METROPOLIS. One of them got indignant when I asked to read their privacy policy before I signed a waiver. I have a right to read about my rights before I waive them.

Foreign Visitors
We had seven foreign visitors this past week. They were from, in alphabetical order, Australia, Canada, France, Israel, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.

I think overall viewer traffic this month will be down compared to last month. This is probably a reflection of my obsession over getting rid of Earthlink DSL service and switching to Verizon. If all goes well, I should be back online with DSL service by this time next week.


That was my weekend. Nothing much to shout about; just a quiet weekend for me.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home