Saturday, August 19, 2006

Weekend Update

Weekend Update
This Weekend Update is mostly a collection of short comments and such since I did not do much this weekend. It is hard to write a lot about revising my dissertation. There was not much excitement when I revised the order of some paragraph citations.

Maybe next weekend I will be doing something and I will have something to say for a change.

Visitors
This was an off week for foreign visitors. We have visitors from Slovenia, Canada [3], United Kingdom, Italy, Turkey, Abidjan, and Texas [6]. I must have resonated with the Texas readers this past week. We even had one visitor spend 33 minutes reading several blog posting this past week; another reader was here for 17 minutes and a third was here for 12 minutes.

So far, for the month, we have had a total of 208 visitors. Of course, some of these are repeat visitors and you know who you are. If the visitor count trend remains somewhat constant, then we may surpass 300 visitors for the month. That would be nice.

Were you aware that you can post a comment to any blog and that you can make your posting anonymously?

If you do post comment, I will probably post a comment or explanation

Woman of the Moment
The new Woman of the Moment is Aiko Tanaka. She is Japanese and measures 64 inches / 162 centimeters tall and 32 – 23 – 33 inches or 81 – 58 – 84 centimeters according to the Speed Options website [http://www.speedoptions.com/features ] when she was a featured model in July 2001. The Internet Movie Database lists her age as 27.


I have no idea when this photo was taken. It certainly looks like a very uncomfortable dress to me.

Aiko Tanaka has appeared, briefly I believe, in MISS CASTAWAY [2004] as Miss Japan, fairly far down the cast credits; THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS: TOKYO DRIFT #2 [2006] as a cowgirl at the starting line, also far down in the cast credits list; and WHITE AIR [2006 just completed] as Snow Bunny, again fairly far down in the list of cast credits.

I will be among the first to admit that I have not seen any of her films. I think they would have to be viewed the remote control in hand so the showing could be paused. This would give me a better opportunity to see her on screen.

Some of the photos that I will be tossing up here date from the July 2001 Speed Options online feature and the rest are in between then and now. I will make a reasonable effort to identify the 2001 circa photos. The other photos are open to speculation

For those of you that have a greater interest in learning more about Aiko Tanaka, you can visit her website [http://www.aikotanaka.com ].

Watchless
My white tan stripe on my wrist is about faded away now. I think that I can go without a wearing a watch and still feel comfortable. I have found there are enough alternative time pieces in my life to keep me on track with what I have planned to do.

This computer’s clock in the corner is one of those devices.

Rational Thoughts
Gun control means using two hands. Georgia bumper sticker.

Carbon Dating Myself
I can remember playing and listening to 78RPM records. Then, I thought 45RPM records with their fat hole in the middle were the greatest step forward in recordng technology.

Building Fire Drill
The building where I work had its annual fire drill on Wednesday after noon. I missed the drill because I only worked a half day then. I do not need any drills to know how to evacuate a first floor office.

If worst comes to worst, the tower personal computer and then the desk chair go through the window. Then, I will follow them out of the building to the courtyard.

In my misspent youth, I served in the United States Navy on the USS Lucid, an oceangoing minesweeper. Minesweepers are wooden ships. One of my jobs was to be the Officer of the Deck on all complicated maneuvers like leaving port for example. The Officer of the Deck is the officer who tells the helmsman where to steer the ship.

This is not necessaarily an honor. Usually, it is the Officer of the Deck who is second guessed at his court martial and punished, assuming he survives the disaster.

The Lucid had just finished some time in a shipyard for repairs. I was taking the ship down the main channel in the harbor. There was a large tanker, loaded to maximum with North Slope Alaskan crude oil for a refinery, coming up the channel. This complicated matters because the channel is not terribly wide and it was also being used as a seaplane landing space. In fact, a seaplane was landing behind the Lucid.

So far everything was fine.

Then, a fire broke out in the engine room. A fire at sea is a bad thing, a fire at sea when the ship can not maneuver is very bad; a fire at sea on a wooden ship that can not maneuver and the other ship in the channel is a fully loaded oil tanker is probably the worst possible situation.

My potential Navy career flashed before me and all I could see was a bunch of admirals sitting at my court martial. Fortunately for me, the fire was a very minor one that produced more smoke than anything else.

My only concern after the fire was out was how I was going to write all of this up in the Ship’s Log as required by Navy Regulations.

The Captain had the solution; he always did and that was why he was the Captain.

The Captain suggested that I write up the fire as a fire drill in the engine room while leaving port. That was brilliant. It meant that all I had to do was to record the start and end of the drill. The engine room fire was reduced to two, half line entries in the Ship’s Log.

The Chief Engineer and I had several beers in the Long Beach Naval Station Officers’ Club after work that day.

I see I did digress somewhat away from the building fire drill.

Anyway and back to the building fire drill.

The city fire marshal had said they would cite anyone who did not evacuate the building. They sounded very serious; I definitely would have been one of the first ones out if I had been there.

Apparently five coz class girls, dressed in black as usual, chose to blow off the fire drill and evacuation. They would have had to walk down three flights of stairs. The fire marshal caught them and issued citations to each of them for USD$1,500 each. That is a real penalty and real money. I wonder how they will be able to pay the fines.

Sometimes, it pays to follow the rules of the drill.

United States Navy
Since I have mentioned the ships I served on when I was on active duty in the Navy, I decided to post a couple of photos of the USS Leonard F Mason and the USS Lucid. Both ships have been decommissioned and stricken from the Navy List.



This photo is from 1966, just before I joined the ship. The photo was taken in Hong Kong.

The Mason was transferred to Taiwan in the early 1990s after her active duty ended. She was disposed of by Taiwan and became an artificial fish reef in 2000. I suppose that is a better fate than becoming so many razors blades.



This is a mid-1960s view of the ship.

The Lucid was sold off to a private owner. The ship is in process of restoration as a memorial for the wooden hulled minesweepers.

Hemlines
As you all know, I do look out into the building courtyard from time to time. Most of the time that I look out is when I am on the telephone with a vendor. Sales people can talk for an eternity and I prefer to have something to occupy my mind while I listen as they drone on and on.

I have noticed a recent trend with skirt hemlines lately. It seems that the new or current fashion trend is to have what looks like unfinished hemlines or hemlines that were not sewn together uniformly. I suppose there is a valid reason for this but I have not seen any logic to the style yet. This style seems to expose more of a woman’s leg than would otherwise be the case.

I do want to be perfectly clear that I favor short skirts but only as long as the woman cane properly wear the short skirt.

I also want to categorically state that I also oppose women who wear short skirts without any thought how they may look. I saw one woman the other day in the building; she was wearing one of those ragged hemline skirts. I do not know and I absolutely do not care if it was riding up or that was the way the skirt was made. Her legs, when viewed from behind, looked like hideously overstuffed sausage casings. It was a most unpleasant image; I can assure you of that.

Lisa the Matchmaker Part 2
I had sent off my biography and a couple of recent photos to Lisa the Matchmaker so she could forward them on to her next match for me, Liz.

I was thinking about this decision of mine to participate in the matchmaking as I was driving out to my Dissertation Committee Chair meeting. I often think about other things when I am driving and the traffic is stopped for some reason.

Maybe I should have listened closer to what Lisa was saying to me about Liz. Lisa said that Liz told her that it had been a long time since she had been out with a man. I think the time period was around ten years. Lisa said that Liz was not particular about what we might do when we went out. The event could be as simple as a cup of iced coffee at Starbucks.

Ten years!

Ten years is a long time between evenings out with a man. Is this some cryptic warning to me that I ought to pay a whole lot more attention to? Should I have decided to run like hell for the hills and hide out until this matchmaking episode passed me bye?

These are interesting ideas to consider and mull over in one’s mind.

I guess I am committed to at least one meeting with Liz. Iced coffee at Starbucks can not be too terribly bad for me. I always have the Woman of the Moment photos to reassure me that all is right with the world somewhere; just not where I was for a brief period of time.

Lisa also mentioned that Liz is from New York City. That means she will talk different from me and a lot faster than me. I tend to speak slowly because I want to choose my words precisely and accurately. Sometimes I will pause in the middle of a sentence while I think of the most appropriate word to complete my thoughts. I wonder if this will pose a problem for me and for Liz.


This looks like a good place to stop. I hope you all had a great weekend. I may come back and some more material to the blog on Sunday and then again I may not.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home