Sunday, August 13, 2006

Weekend Update

Visitors
It was another good week for foreign visitors. We had eight locations represented; Canada [4], Ireland, Croatia, United Kingdom, Poland, Texas [5], Germany, Brazil, Czech Republic, Australia, and Peoples Republic of China. I think this is the first time the blog has had a visitor from the PRC and Croatia. I do try to correct if a foreign visitors makes multiple visits to the blog; I would not want to distort the record.

AZUMI
I put up some photos of Ueto Aya, the star of AZUMI last week. They were both small and not very interesting. I went to Google Images and found three photos that offer much better images of Ueto Aya. If I find some more and better photos, I may bring Aya back as a Woman of the Moment.







I can see why she has more commercial endorsements in Japan than any other celebrity. Not too bad for a 21 year old young woman.

Woman of the Moment
This image reminded of the great film AMERICAN BEAUTY. It deserves to be featured by itself.



Microsoft
I phoned the Microsoft California Class Action claims administrator this morning. I found out that I can use the award up until September 16, 2010. This means I just picked up an additional 10% or more discount to my next laptop.

I was checking out new laptops this afternoon only because Dell sent me an email about a sale they were holding now. I played around with the specifications and discovered I could pick up a Dell laptop with 2GB of RAM with a 1.8 MHz clock speed from an Intel Centrino Dual Core processor chip, a 60GB combination CD – DVD player burner, 17 inch / 43 centimeter high definition screen, and very nice graphics card for around USD$1,500.

This machine has no software other than Windows XP Professional and that is fine with me because I can load my copies of Office XP and they will run just fine until I get around to buying the new VISTA operating system and maybe the Office VISTA or whatever it will be called. VISTA will probably be in the fourth quarter of next year.

Microsoft and Geography
I use the Office Suite that includes Word. I think most of you use it as well.

Have you ever noticed how selective Microsoft is about auto-spell checking country names in a Word document? I will be the first to admit that I am a sloppy typer and I often miss the Shift key. I noticed that if you type Canada in all lower case letters, Word will automatically correct the spelling and capitalize the leading “C.” But, if you type a word like japan, it will only highlight the misspelling.

It would seem to me that the people in Redmond could figure out that Japan might be typed more frequently than Canada and provide for an auto correct function in Word. Do the folks in Redmond not like Japan but like the Japanese. Japanese will be automatically corrected in Word.

My Bad Typing Skills
I never really learned how to type when I was in high school.

Learning how to type in high school was an ordeal for me. First of all, we had to use big, office grade, manual typewriters. You really had to hit the keys to make it work.

Second, I took typing during Summer School when it was a gazillion degrees outside and there was no air conditioning in the class room except for when the door was open. My seat was about as far away from the door as anyone could be so I sort of sat there and soaked in my own sweat.

But the real reason that I did poorly in typing was Maureen Strong. Maureen sat next to me in the class. She would wear shorts to class because it was hot. Doug would say she was hot. Having to spend a couple of hours a day for a couple of weeks in one Summer sitting next to an incredibly attractive young woman will distract any young man. I think I spent more time looking at Maureen that I did at the teacher.

I am pretty sure I got a “D” in typing but I did not care. I spend the Summer or part of it next to Maureen Strong. That made it all worthwhile for me.

I wonder what ever became of her after we graduated from high school.

Verizon.net and SPAM
I will give Verzion.net full credit for cutting back on the level of spam that is floating across my email inbox on a daily basis. I think the volume is less than a dozen pieces of spam in a day, if that much.

If I got my personal act together and dropped some newsletters that I no longer read or have any interest in, I could cut the clutter down even more. Maybe I will work on that this weekend if I have some slack and spare time.

After about a month with Verizon, I am pleased with the overall performance. It is stable and reliable. The promised connection speeds are there and I am happy for now.

Lunch with Doug
We went to Fatburger for lunch and then we went to Peet’s Tea and Coffee for a discounted iced coffee drink. The drive to South Orange County was much better today; no major crashes and no burning bridges to deal.

I drove at the full freeway speed of 70 miles per hour / 115 kilometers per hour. I could have driven faster if I wanted to but why risk the chance of meeting the California Highway Patrol and getting a citation for speeding. It was not worth the risk.

I had a Kingburger with cheese and chili and chili cheese fries today. I wanted to see how Fatburger compared with the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers; the Original Tommy’s Hamburgers wins hand down and going away. No contest at all. Still, it was a fine burger and tasty.

This is what my meal looked like at the start and towards the end.







I was having a bad hair day since I had been wearing a baseball hat for a couple of hours



I think there are three or four levels of hamburgers in the United States or at least in my little corner of it. I will admit that I have not tried a Whataburger from Houston although I am told that it is an epic meal.

First is the original Tommy’s Hamburgers
Second is Fatburger
Third is In n Out
Fourth is everything else

Fatburger Food Runner and Doug
I think the young woman who brought our food to the table was interested in Doug. She came bye our table twice trying to push a vanilla milk shake off on us. The first time she came bye, Doug showed her the receipt that had no shake of any kind on it.

The facts did not discourage her at all because she came back shortly with the same question. I think she has a career in politics waiting for her considering her splendid ability to ignore obvious and plain facts.

Pamela, the food runner, was attractive in a young sort of way I think. Personally, the pierced lower lip and the stud in her tongue were ways to increase my interest in her.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea
The iced coffee drinks were ok. I don’t think I would make the trip to Peet’s in Laguna Niguel again with Doug for a free coffee drink. I will stick with Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf for my coffee drinks; I think Doug will do the same.


That was my weekend gentle readers. I hope you had a fun weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home