Sunday, January 14, 2007

Weekend Update - January 14th

The Princess
The Princess phoned me at about 5:20 PM local time on Saturday to tell me that she was now engaged to the Boy Friend. They were in Key West; celebrating I guess. She was very happy.

I thought she was calling to thank me for the M&Ms candy that I sent her. Dads are often wrong it seems.

Naturally, I was happy and congratulated both of them. It was noisy from the restaurant they were at, waiting for their table to open, so we did not have a great conversation.

The Princess said the Boy Friend wanted to ask me for my permission about marrying her when they were out here for Christmas. I took all of the surprise element out of the engagement announcement when I drove them to the airport at the end of their stay in Southern California at Christmas. I said that it was fine with me if they wanted to get married. Living in Southern California tends to give you a relaxed view of the world and life.

The wedding will be in Atlanta in October.

I will have a busy Fall this year for sure.

Weekend Update
It was a clear but cold weekend for me here in Southern California. The temperature got down to around 40 to 42F or 4 or 5C at nights and rose to around 58F or 14C. We also had some steady winds so the temperature seemed colder than it really was.

The Saturday night – Sunday morning low was 32F or 0C; in some areas, below freezing. Really, really cold for Southern California. It will get down to 38F or 3C at the beach tonight.

Not your typical Southern California weather.

I was out running some errands Saturday morning when I drove past a high school drill team car wash. For a moment, I thought about having the Prelude washed but then changed my mind. The thought of the students washing cars in the chill winds and cold didn’t set well with me so I drove on home.

I was also supposed to see my dentist this morning for the periodic scrape and clean. The appointment had to be rescheduled for next Saturday afternoon

I have been looking for a new bookcase for the second bedroom / office at my house now for a couple of weeks. I want to get a solid wood bookcase in the Mission or Craftsman style. The Mission and Craftsman styles were developed in Southern California. One of the things that Doug and I talked about was my inability to find an advertisement for solid wood furniture.

I finally found the ad I have been looking for on Saturday. I had planned to visit the store on Sunday and see what my options are for the bookcase and a bed. I changed my mind because I did not get all of my lesson plan work completed on Saturday plus I also had some unfinished stuff around the place. I will visit the store next weekend when I have some more time.

Woman of the Moment
The new Woman of the Moment is Jamie Frontz. Most of this information came from her article in the Speed Options Featured Model segment that was published in December 2004. For those of you who are fascinated with statistics, Jamie is 67 inches / 170 centimeters tall and her body measures 34C – 26 – 34 inches or 86 – 66 – 86 centimeters.




At the time of the Speed Options publication, Jamie was attending the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. She has a career as a model and actress. Jamie has a functioning web site of http://www.jamie.ws.

Almost all of the photos came from the Speed Options edition or her web site. There was some photo overlap between Speed Options and the web site. Since Speed Options photo layout was from 2004, some of these images are obviously dated. There are 33 images that will be part of the Woman of the Moment feature with three images a day so she will be around for almost two weeks.

Doug
I went out to see Doug on Friday so he could get a new Apple Mac Powerbook laptop computer and a Canon digital camera. He spent his own money; that was nice.

We went to two camera dealers first and they were both out of the model Doug wanted. We stopped at a Best Buy on our way to Albertacos for lunch on a lark more than anything else to see if they had the camera. Best Buy had the model he wanted and they also had a very nice female salesperson to help us pick out what to get to go with the camera.

The Mac Powerbook was an easy purchase because we went to the Apple Store at the Irvine Spectrum. Irvine Spectrum is a very nice regional mall in South O.C.

Our lunch was so predictable at Albertacos. We both had a Number 8 with a medium drink; you can have unlimited refills of your drink so size doesn’t matter much. I took a refill for the drive back to the beach.

I think it has been a couple of months since we went to Albertacos and it was good to be back there. We talked about the relative merits of the Albertacos and the El Gringo soft beef tacos. I liked the El Gringo tacos better because they tend to stay together. Doug liked Albertacos because the beef tends to fall into the rice and beans and that makes the rice and beans better. I can accept Doug’s reasoning. The extra meat mixed in with the rice and beans certainly is a pleasing taste.

Visitors
We had visitors from France [2], Korea [2], Germany [4], Poland [2], Netherlands, Finland, Canada [4], Italy, United Kingdom [2], China, Israel, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Philippines.

This week, we had more curious visitors than page lookers. We had several visitors spend some time with the blog. One visitor was here for forty minutes; another for twenty nine minutes; two for 25 minutes; and one for thirteen minutes.

There were only three lookers who managed to view fourteen pages in four minutes; eleven pages in four minutes; and ten pages in three minutes.

I do appreciate all of you who took time to visit the blog.

Theater
I went to see CAMELOT at a local theater on Saturday. This was the opening weekend of a national production tour.


The play featured Michael York as Arthur. I think the producers picked him for name recognition for more than anything else. He is not a singer and looked weak compared to all of the other singers who were in the cast. York is excellent as an older and sometimes confused Arthur.

The rest of the large cast is largely unknown youngear singers who have never been in a national touring production. There are twenty five in the cast. The younger cast members brought a higher energy level and excitement to the production. I think the production will do well on the tour.

I could see the producers put some money into the sets. They were very well done and they were very effective. The sets did not have the previously used look that many of the sets at the theater have had.

Moving on to the actual performance, I did not care for the first scene because Guenevere’s microphone was not working so I don’t think anyone could have heard her singing. Rachel York played Guenevere and she has a great voice once you have a chance to hear her sing. James Barbour played Lancelot and had a marvelous voice.

I would have not expected a trouble like this. This weekend was the opening weekend and the critics were in the audience. A microphone adjustment is not something that should have been a problem at this point.

As usual with a musical at the La Mirada Theater, the orchestra played too loudly again. They did an excellent job of drowning out most of the songs by female cast members.

I will let you know what the professional critics thought of the play performance when they are published Monday or Tuesday.

Going to the theater in La Mirada on the opening weekend is like going to the theater in Mayberry. You tend to get all of the “civic leaders and shakers” out for the performance. Women will think nothing of walking down an aisle and blocking it to speak to friend while others are trying to reach their seats in that row. Of course, the gentle burghers have their own opinion of when the play should start. The curtain time printed on the ticket is sometimes a suggestion or, like last night, an after thought. The play started almost fifteen minutes late last night.

Komyo Ga Tsuji and Jae Do Young
I was at the theater on Saturday night so I missed both of these shows. Doug would say that missing the shows was a perfect reason to get a DVR set.

JAE DO YOUNG was only the second episode so I don’t think I missed very much. It has been my experience with Korean historical dramas that these shows tend to have a very long series.

KOMYO GA TSUJI was a different situation. This series is reaching its conclusion. Saturday would have been Episode 49 so that makes it likely the show will end soon. All of the story arcs tend to point that in direction. I checked with the weekly television listing and it showed the program as being broadcast next Saturday night. I guess I will have to wait and see what develops.

My Brother
My brother went to Colorado during the week between Christmas and New Year’s for a family Christmas. When we talked about the trip before he left, I said that he would have a White Christmas. He was less optimistic about a White Christmas. As it turned out, Colorado was hit by a severe blizzard during the week before Christmas so there was plenty of snow on the ground.

When we finally talked, we only talked about the Princess’s upcoming wedding. My brother and sister in law had met the Boy Friend and liked him. My brother was disappointed the wedding was going to be in Atlanta; he had hoped for a California wedding. I explained that since the Princess has clusters of friends across the country, two thirds of the friends will have to travel somewhere. Atlanta is as good a place as any since the Boy Friend is from Atlanta.

The discussion of his White Christmas will have to wait for a while longer.


That was my weekend gentle readers.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home