Sunday, March 11, 2007

Weekend Update - March 11th

Weekend Update
I did some cleaning on Saturday. Mostly, I was tossing stuff out. One of the piles that I tossed out was a collection of emails that I had sent and received when I first started chatting on the old Empire Magazine film bulletin board along with Doug and some cinestas. That episode in my life is a completely different story that would take too long to properly tell here. I don’t know why I have kept these emails since it has probably been five or more years since I sent or received an email from these people. I felt good when I tossed them into the paper recycling bin in the garage at the building.

Lesson plans also sucked up a large part of my weekend. Microeconomics takes a long time to create a lesson plan; especially when they are two or three chapters to cover in each lesson plan.

The Principles of Supervision lesson plans were easier to create. I don’t care too much for the textbook. It seems to be too idealized and relies on too much theory of how things in business should be rather than how things really are. I will be bringing in some outside reading materials to supplement the course. I doubt the students will appreciate the extra effort I will be putting in to gather and then photocopy the material.

I do not believe there is a copyright issue here since all of the material is readily available, at no cost, from the creator’s web site. I am only saving the students’ time by providing them with a copy instead of relying on them to go the website and then download the article and then read it. I am also insuring the students will read the articles.

I spoke to Doug on Saturday about films to see this weekend with Amber. He said that he and his friend enjoyed 300 on Friday night. Doug said he would be willing to see the film again because it was that good. That is a mighty bold statement for Doug to make about a film. His friend is also a film student and thought it was a good film.

Doug also suggested that I might want to go see THE HOST. This film is a Korean monster movie with subtitles. The monster was created when the American army dumped some caustic and toxic chemicals in a river; this created the monster. This sounds a little like a Korean version of GODZILLA who was created from radioactive wastes from nuclear tests.

I don’t know if Amber likes monster movies are not. I will probably go see it during the week next week if she is not interested in THE HOST. If I don’t see 300 this weekend, I may talk to Doug about seeing it on an IMAX screen next weekend.

My Friend Amber or The Amber Alert
Doug called me Friday morning; he was stuck in traffic on the 5 Freeway in North Orange County. He wanted to warn me to stay off of the 5. I was at home and not going anywhere at the moment.

We talked about the weekend plans. Doug will go to San Diego on Saturday and then head back up to Orange County on Sunday. I told that I was planning to take Amber to the cinema on Sunday afternoon and then have a casual dinner after the film. I said that we hadn’t picked a film to go see yet and that we had the luxury of time on our side.

We were both thinking about the Amber feature in the blog and came up with the idea of calling it The Amber Alert. I’m not certain if Amber will like me calling her section of the blog The Amber Alert or not.

Since we will be going to the cinema and having dinner afterwards, it is unlikely that I will be able to post a film commentary until Monday.

Amber and I talked this morning and we decided to go see 300. It seemed like the logical decision to make.

Visitors
Visitors for this week are largely problematical. Site Meter is having some problems with their servers. Their latest update blog report, from March 9th, indicated that the traffic information is not being lost. Eventually, it will be almost completely recovered.

We had 27 visitors on March 6th. This is a very good day’s traffic count. The counter seemed to stop working on March 7th shortly after midnight. The tracking stopped around 12:40AM on the 7th.

Hopefully, this will occur sooner rather than later.

For the record, we had what looked like a good week for visitors. We had visitors from Japan [3], Italy, China [2], South Africa, India, United Kingdom [3], Korea, Australia, Canada [2], Philippines, and France [3].

We had two looking visitors who viewed eight pages in two minutes and seven pages in three minutes.

Woman of the Moment
Vivian Hsu will be with us for another week and a couple of days. This is something to look forward to I guess.





Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home