Monday, May 28, 2007

Weekend Update - May 28th

Weekend Update
Today is Memorial Day, a day that we honor all of our fallen service men and women. If you enjoyed your freedom today, be sure to thank a veteran.

Freedom is never free.

Veterans are the one who purchased it for you.

For the most part, I had a relaxing weekend where I did not do a great many things. I enjoyed myself.

My oldest Internet friend Lara and her brother sent me a gift certificate for cigars for my birthday. I ordered myself a sampler gift pack and I am looking forward to smoking in the coming week.

I figure that Doug’s graduation from university is a big enough, special occasion to enjoy one of those fine cigars.

It has been over a year since I had a cigar. I consider myself as having stopped smoking. There will always be events that call for a cigar and, since I do not inhale the smoke, I feel I am not harming myself.

Besides, when I was growing up, my mother smoked a pack to a pack and a half of Lucky Strike cigarettes a day. There was plenty of unfiltered second hand smoke in my early life.

Of course, I did go to school on Saturday for my last class. It was group project presentations. I got to sit back and relax. The presentations were on the rocky side because the students have had very little opportunity to practice with them before my class.

I also talked with another teacher about the issue of failing students. He asked me why the students did not succeed. I told him it was because they did not complete the written assignments.

He thought for a moment and said the students failed themselves. He pointed out that they knew what the assignments were and when they were due in class. He also pointed out that I nagged them about turning in the assignments. I had done all that I could do to have the students pass the class.

I felt better after the talk.

I was watching one of my Korean or Japanese drama serials over the weekend. There was an advertisement for tofu. I usually ignore these ads. This one caught my attention when I displayed a suggested use for tofu as the main part of a hamburger or, to be correct, a tofu burger.

That was just so wrong.

There is no way that any one could consider using tofu in place of ground beef in a hamburger.

Tofu burgers should never ever be.

I was watching the early [before 7:00 AM] morning local news program this morning. It was a holiday show with some of the regulars taking a day off.

Sharon Tay was filling in as one of the co-hosts. This was a real surprise since she had only been doing infrequent free-lance news reporter spots. At 41, she was probably the oldest on-air person on the set. The other two women are probably in their late 20s or early 30s. Sharon was also dressed much more conservatively than she is in this photo. The photo came from her under construction web site http://www.sharontay.com.

It was very nice to see her back on television as an early morning news show co-host.

Parking will be tricky for Doug when he comes over to my house tonight. There are more cars out in front of the building because of the holiday. Tomorrow, everything will be back to normal.

My building has an elevator. It is not a very fast elevator. Glacial is too kind of an adjective to describe its speed or lack thereof. I normally do not use the elevator unless I have a guest with me. I like to walk up the stairs. When I do take the elevator, I always ask the person in the lobby if they want me to hold the elevator for them.

Holding the elevator is inconsequential in the grander scheme of things. I do it because it is the right thing to do; it is called being courteous. It requires no additional work on my part.

This week, I was down in the building lobby picking up my mail. Nothing unusual about
it; I do that several times a week. I was really irritated when two new tenants did not even bother to ask if I was interested in using the elevator. They just hopped in as soon as the door opened and pushed the close button as soon as they could find it.

I hope they receive the same treatment some day very soon. I wonder how they will like being treated so poorly.

They deserve it.

Visitors
We had another good week for visitors to the blog.

We had visitors from Canada [6], South Africa, Latvia, Korea [3], Texas, Mexico, Brazil [2], Singapore [4], United Kingdom [4], Malaysia [4], Japan [5], Australia [2], Greece [5], Spain, Germany [2], Thailand, Portugal, France [2], Poland, Netherlands, Taiwan, China [2], Argentina, and Ireland.

For some reason, I seem to have picked up a modest following in the Middle East. We had visitors from the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and Kuwait.

We only had one, long stay visitor who was here for almost nineteen minutes.

I do appreciate each of you who time from your schedules to stop by and visit the blog.

Cinema
I plan to visit the cinema this coming week. I could have gone over the weekend but the crowds were a bit much and who wants to sit next to someone who can’t stop talking or sending text messages on a cell phone. If I go in the middle of the week, I can avoid many of those people who make watching a movie on the big screen a pain.

Right now, I am planning to see PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, SPIDERMAN 3, and HOT FUZZ. I will go see HOT FUZZ first because I know the other two films will still be showing in another week to three while HOT FUZZ will be gone.

Food
Doug and I went to Albertacos after my class on Saturday for a late lunch or early dinner, depending on your point of view. I viewed the meal as an early dinner. We had our usual order of a Number 8 Combination with a medium drink to eat in. The Number 8 Combination consists of two carne asada soft tacos, rice, and refried beans.


It is a tasty meal indeed.

We also talked about meals at my house for the coming week. I mentioned that we could have some fish one night and maybe go out to Giuliano’s for a pizza on another. Doug thought that made sense. I told Doug that I was scheduled to teach on three nights in the coming term. I said that I might grill up a platter of chicken and have that available along with some bar-be-que baked beans and potato salad. It would be an easy meal for Doug to reheat when he got home from his internship. Doug thought so too.

I had time to think about that idea on the way home. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to have it now and not wait for a couple of weeks. The frozen fish will keep in the freezer for another two weeks without any significant change.

I will be cooking the chicken today for dinner during the week.

Then, on Sunday, I went to El Gringo because Albertacos is too far away to drive to just for a meal. Jess the Server was working on Sunday. We had a chance to talk for the first time in a couple of weeks. Like most of the servers, Jess is a student. She is majoring in nursing and will graduate with her Registered Nurse degree in about a year.

Good for you Jess.

I said that I would not be coming to El Gringo for the next two weeks because of the trip to Atlanta this coming weekend. The following weekend I am supposed to have a latte lunch at L. A. Food Show with Vivian and Lisa from where I used to work.

I had a Number 2 Combination which is two, shredded beef soft tacos with rice and refried beans. I had a root beer to drink.



All things considered, I prefer the Albertacos Number 8 Combination to any similar combination from El Gringo.

Woman of the Moment
This is a good way to end the blog with Ryoko Shinohara. Tonight is another black and white photo session. This type of image is sometimes more effective than a color image.





I hope you had a great weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home