Friday, May 25, 2007

Weekend Preview - May 25th

Weekend Preview
I knew there was something I forgot to do yesterday.

I remembered that I had forgotten to post the Weekend Preview blog edition for this weekend a little after 11:00 PM last night. I had trouble sleeping; this was probably because I had another sugar low and took a nap in the afternoon for about two hours. The nap disrupted my sleep and took the time that I would have used to write this blog edition.

I suppose that I could have gotten out of bed last night or very early this morning and pounded out the Weekend Preview. If I had done that, my sleeping patterns would have been a mess. I would probably spend all weekend getting back on schedule.

This coming weekend will play havoc with my sleep schedules when I take the red-eye [midnight flight and very little sleep] to Atlanta to see the Princess. Fortunately, I do not have any classes in the week after the Atlanta trip so I will have time to recover and get back on track.

Today, I have to finish grading homework assignments for my Accounting I class. Hopefully, I can be finished in an hour or so.

I plan to visit the cinema this weekend since I will have the time and I do not have any lesson plans to prepare or homework to grade. I am not going to go see PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN AT WORLD’S END this weekend. I will go sometime during the week when the crowds will be smaller and I can find a good seat in a large screened theater to enjoy the film more.

I would also like to see HOT FUZZ if it is still in the local cinema and maybe SPIDERMAN 3. There are a number of other films that look interesting but I am not all that excited to thirty miles to see them.

Doug says that there are only one or two films that really interest him. One of them is William Friedkin’s BUG.

I also have my Journey to the West novel to read and the balcony in the sunny afternoon is a great place to read.

Programming Note
The Weekend Update will be posted sometime on Monday, May 28th because of the Memorial Holiday weekend in the States.

For those of you who are not in the United States, Memorial Day originally was organized to honor the Union forces during our Civil War. The Southern states adopted the holiday also. The four year long Civil War was the bloodiest war in our Nation’s history.

I once asked the Princess, partly in jest, if the South celebrated what was originally a Yankee holiday. She said, “Of course Daddy, we always remember the men who died in defense of the Cause.” The Cause was the right of the Southern states to secede from the Union.

Teaching
I had my Thursday morning class yesterday. The class took their finals and made presentations on a group project.

I learned they will all be in my Business Law and Regulation class next term. I said, “Good, I won’t come to class with any expectations of everyone showing up at 8:00 AM then.” Everyone laughed at my comment.

It looks like I will be teaching a fifth class next term. I guess the Dean approved me to teach Strategies for the Technology Professional. This is a first year course on how to use the personal computer and the Microsoft Office programs. It does not sound too difficult to teach.

It seems that I am teaching new courses each term. I have five new courses this term. Two of the courses, Consumer Behavior and Business Law, will be easy and a lot of fun for me. I think Introduction to Project Management will be a bit of a challenge for me. The last two courses, Accounting II and Strategies for the Technology Professional, ought to be time consuming when it comes to lecture presentation preparation.

My schedule is not what I would like. That happens and I am over it now. I have classes on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights and I have classes on Wednesday and Friday mornings. Obviously, Wednesdays will be long days for me.

I failed my first student yesterday. It was an easy decision since he did not take the final examination and he did not turn in any of the written assignments. Those areas amounted to 85% of the total course grade. I will fail another student on Saturday. She has missed six out of ten classes and only turned in one written assignment. This will be another easy decision for me.

I was talking with one of the department chairs on Thursday about failing students. He said I was making much ado about nothing. The school expects to see failures in the 5 to 10% range. He said that not taking the final and not completing the assignments were pretty easy reasons to fail a student. He said it was not like I had a student who was struggling and trying hard to pass the course and one I wanted to see pass the course. He said these students just gave up.

Besides, there would be more room in the parking lot for the students who want to learn now.

Road Rage
Road Rage happens for a number of reasons. It is a way of life in Southern California.

I try to drive responsibly when I am out on the freeways [high speed highways with no tolls]. This means I do not use my cell phone unless I am stopped in traffic because of an accident. I think it is safe to use cell phone when you are stopped.

The highways have posted speed limits, usually 65 miles an hour / 105 kilometers an hour. Most of the time, I drive a bit faster than the speed limit because the traffic around me is moving at a higher speed. The Prelude is a small car and I do not want a much larger vehicle to hit me.

That seems very logical to me to say nothing of self preservation on my part.

I have noticed that there is a class or group of drivers that must feel they are invincible and the greatest drivers that ever lived.

I had one clown on Thursday who tried to follow me as close as he could. Traffic was moderately heavy and the idiot, driving an SUV, behind me could clearly see that there was a large truck in front of me. I was leaving some room between the Prelude and the truck. That seemed like a safe thing to do. I guess he thought that by driving as close to me as he could that I would increase my speed. The laws of physics say it is impossible for me to pass through another object, like the truck in front of me, so speeding up was out of the question for me.

If I had suddenly slowed or touched my brakes, the idiot behind me would have either crashed into the Prelude or lost control of his vehicle and crashed.

Sometimes, I think people like that deserve to be removed from the gene pool permanently for the overall betterment of society.

I am convinced that cell phone usage while you are driving is inherently dangerous unless you are stopped for some reason or are driving at a very low speed, something at a rate barely above a brisk walking pace.

I was watching a driver who was talking on her cell phone yesterday. I had to watch her because she was moving all over the road. If I watched out for her, I could avoid having her hit me.

I thought her actions were rude, selfish and highly dangerous. She also deserves to be removed from the gene pool permanently as well. Society will be better off for it.

It is people like these two that bring about road rage. Their actions are so callously self centered that they will push otherwise seemingly rational people to violence that can take the form of car rammings or car to car shootings.

People need to think first before they engage the transmission.

Woman of the Moment
I think ending the blog with Ryoko Shinohara is a good way for me to start my weekend.





I hope you all have great weekends and I will be back on Monday.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home