Monday, May 21, 2007

Weekend Update - May 21st

Weekend Update
Well, I finally got the Weekend Update out for you.

I was busy with Doug’s graduation and grading papers. Those activities sucked almost all of my time on Sunday. The graduation ceremony lasted something over four hours. Then, there was the drive back to his mother’s house in Angel baseball game traffic and the post graduation glow of it all.

I think most of you know that I watch local Korean and Japanese language television broadcasts. The shows are subtitled with fairly good English. I have had a chuckle with one commercial for a food company. I think it is a food company but I could be wrong.

I think it is very funny that the background music for the commercial is either Scott Joplin or W. C. Handy. Somehow, early New Orleans style jazz does not connect with me for Japanese food.

I did enjoy the music and spend most of my time listening to it. I might as well since I do not understand Japanese.

Visitors
We had another good week for visitors. We had visitors from Canada [6], Australia [4], Japan [3], United Kingdom [4], Korea [2], Hungary, Italy [2], Germany, Texas [3], Israel [2], Ireland, Venezuela, China, Bulgaria, Costa Rica, United Arab Emirates [2], Poland, Singapore [2], and Russia.

We also had a great week for visitors who decided to stay around for a few minutes. One visitor each stayed for 26 minutes, 23 minutes, 17 minutes, and 12 minutes. Two visitors stayed for 13 minutes each.

I do appreciate each of you who took time from your schedules to stop and read my simple musings and observations.

Weekend Bonus Feature
I decided that I didn’t want to have Denise Richards as the Weekend Bonus Feature woman. There was something that did not sit well with me in having her as the WBF Woman.

I went back into the archives and pulled out one of my favorite set of Weekend Bonus Features, the Hankook Tire Girls. When you are in doubt, go with your strength. I went to my bench and pulled a power hitter with Hankook Tire Girls.

I hope you approve of my decision.

Woman of the Moment
Ryoko Shinohara is a product of my viewing a Japanese language broadcast and getting hooked on her limited series dramadey. A dramadey is a combination comedy and drama. It is a word that I picked up from Doug.

I was pleased with finding her and her show.




Graduation
Doug is finally a college graduate now and the family is very proud of his accomplishments.




The main ceremony took place at 8:00 AM on Sunday morning. The university had to schedule a two part ceremony because there were over 9,600 students receiving their degrees this month. It took the 5,000 or so students close to forty minutes to walk in.

The other reason for the early start was the weather. May can be very hot and it would have been unbearable if the sun had been out.

As it was, the sky was heavily overcast and there were intermittent mistings. It was cool but not uncomfortably cool. I wore a Tommy Bahama shirt the Princess gave me for Christmas.

The ceremony was overly long with too much time spent on announcing awards to the faculty. No one there cared a tinker’s damn about the faculty awards. They were concerned with the students naturally.

The commencement speaker, Dr. Lucy Jones of the US Geologic Survey Earthquake Center, was sort of an odd and poor choice. I didn’t want to hear her talk about earthquake preparedness. That is very old news in Southern California by now.

Doug felt the same way.

After this waste of time, we had to walk about a half mile to his school’s commencement proceedings. This part was really poorly organized. There were not enough chairs for the students and there was a woeful shortage of chairs for guests with tickets. We ended up standing for over an hour while we had to suffer through more faculty honors.

I took some photos as you can see. Doug told me that he took around 100 photos.

In case you are wondering why Doug is wearing the white sunglasses, he said he wanted to be different and not wear black like everyone else. He picked the white sunglasses up on his trip to New York City.

When all of the dust had settled for the day, we were a very happy and tired family.


I think I will finish off the rest of the Weekend Update tomorrow. Tuesday will be a slow day I think.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home