Monday, May 07, 2007

Weekend Update - May 7th and Happy Chuckay Day

Weekend Update and Happy Chuckay Day
I got the Pathfinder washed on Saturday so I could look nice when I pulled into Morton’s valet parking on Sunday for the traditional Chuckay Dinner with Doug. No sense pulling up in a dirty vehicle for your birthday dinner.

ICQ asks for your birthday. You don’t have to include the year but at my age I don’t see why not include mine. When you add someone to your contact list and the other person asks you to their contact list, ICQ sends you a reminder when someone on your contact list has a birthday.

I have eighteen on my contact list. I wonder how many will send me an electronic birthday card or birthday greeting. I have received two birthday greetings from people who are not on my contact list. Maybe I should add those two my contact list.

I got a total of five ICQ birthday greetings but only one was from someone in my contact list. Maybe I need a new group of contacts.

I did get home from taking Amy home after the dinner to see part of the Japanese drama serial that has been on my local television. This was Episode 11, a semi-climatic one. Next week is the last episode. All of this has nothing to do with this topic, during one of the commercial breaks; the station broadcast a preview of the next drama serial. I was not that interested until I guess the young female lead actress was dressed as a high school student with the sailor blouse and short plaid skirt. I thought that offered some promise to me and gave me a reason to tune in to see the first episode.

What really got my attention was the closing few seconds when she is operating a Schmeiser machine pistol. For those of you that are unfamiliar with the Schmeiser machine pistol, it was the standard German army submachine gun in World War II. The Schmeiser was a simple, effective, easy to maintain assault weapon that was given to the Waffen SS and the elite units of the regular German army. The Schmeiser fired a 9mm projectile at a rate of 400 per minute with an effective range of 400 yards / 365 meters.


What is a Japanese female high school student doing with a World War II German army assault rifle?

I guess that I will have to watch the first episode and see.

I was watching the local television early morning news program today. I have wondered what the news readers wore under the tables they sit behind. I got a small glimpse today. The traffic news reader, a very important segment in Southern California, was in front of a large display panel. She was wearing a nice sweater and complimentary pants.

Nice look.

Then, the next shot was of her walking back to her chair. She was wearing tan or white running shoes. It looked liked the shoes were from New Balance. This visual sort of destroyed the overall professional image or approach the network probably desired.

Life happens.

Visitors
Balancing Checkbooks had its 5,000th visitor on Friday morning. Actually, the blog has had much more than 5,000 visitors since we started in January 2005. A year or so ago, I had a problem with the blogger.com server and Site Meter that caused me to restart the visitor counter. I think the actual number is closer to 8,000 or so, maybe a few more visitors.

We also had some visitors who managed to stay attracted to the blog. We had two visitors who stayed for thirteen minutes each and one who stayed for almost sixteen minutes. We also had one visitor who stopped at an amazing 35 pages in less than five minutes. I think this visitor must have been a fan of one of the Women of the Moment.

Our visitors this past week came from Korea [4], Australia [3], Thailand, United Kingdom [4], Canada [7], Texas [3], Netherlands, Japan [4], Philippines, Malaysia, Germany [2], Turkey, Hong Kong, Bahrain, Indonesia, Romania [2], Poland [2], Ireland, Israel, France, Finland [2], Singapore, Taiwan, Ukraine, Chile, and Argentina.

I do appreciate each visitor who took time out of his or her schedule to stop and read what I have written or view the photos.

I know that some visitors come for the photos. I am a realist at the end of the day.

Coachella Music and Arts Festival
Based on reading Doug’s post festival blog postings, it looks like he hag a good time except for one minor medical emergency at the start of the event. You can find his comments at http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com.

Oompa Loompas of Beverly Hills High School.

I am going to have to ask Doug to explain this I detail when he stops by during the week.

My Friend Amber
I ran into Amber on Saturday when I got the Pathfinder washed. This was an unexpected event.

I’m not sure who saw the other first. I think it was Amber who saw me first. She was talking on her cell phone, not unusual. She motioned me to come over to her. She said she would call the other person back and snapped her phone shut.

This was one of those awkward meetings. What should I say? Should I be upset with her or mad with her or what? I decided to go with a neutral position and then what developed. We exchanged the usual greetings; how have you been, how is the family, and how is work for you. Amber is happy and doing well and her family is fine.

Since it was Saturday, I did not have a lot of time because I had to class to teach. I reminded Amber that she still “owed me big time” for the dinner that she cancelled out on. Amber smiled; she grinned.

That was good.

Amber said that she really liked the silk Tommy Bahama aloha or Hawaiian shirt I was wearing. I smiled and thanked her. I didn’t tell her that an old girl friend bought that shirt and three more Tommy Bahama shirts for me. The old girl friend was trying to change me and my appearance.

Of course, I have no idea what will happen next with Amber and me. I think the ball is bouncing around in her court.

I plan to sort of watch and wait for Amber to act. Perhaps, she will do something and then she may not. I will move on regardless. If she decides that she wants to see me, then I will see her.

Naturally, I will keep you all close to the spinning loop of Amber and me.

Weekend Bonus Feature
I am down to my last set of images of Eiko Keiko now. I need to get my act together so I can find a Weekend Bonus Feature woman. I have started looking at Japanese model photos; maybe I will find one there. I could go with Denise Richards who lost out to Carmen Electra for the current Woman of the Moment feature.

My Flat
I was checking the real estate agent key boxes on the front of the building the other day. There were seven boxes out there. That means that there are seven flats for sale; almost 25% of the flats. That is a lot for the building.

Denise the Hot Chick Cop sold her flat and has moved out. I will miss her. Denise was asking USD$478,000 for her flat that is slightly smaller than mine but is on the floor above mine. I have much better ventilation than her flat. I saw the new owner when she was moving in. the new tenant looks like she is a runner; obviously, a poor match for me and she is probably a vegetarian on top of that.

Oompa Loompas of Beverly Hills High School
I caught up with Doug at dinner on Sunday and asked him about the Oompa Loompas of Beverly Hills High School.

Doug said the Oompas Loompas were a group of rather short, young women who looked like their parents had over indulged them. He said he always saw them with designer sunglasses and water bottles. They seemed to dress a like so that was why he came up with the Oompa Loompa reference.

It helps if you have seen CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY.

Chuckay Dinner at Morton’s The Steakhouse
It was interesting and unusual to be at Morton’s and not have Amy the Server as our server. Amy isn’t working at Morton’s anymore.

We did the next best thing; we took Amy to dinner with us.





Actually, this was a much, much better idea because Amy was with us, at our table, all night long.

We went to the new Morton’s in Anaheim. It is almost across the street from Disneyland. The Anaheim Morton’s seemed like it was half the size of the Costa Mesa Morton’s that Doug and I have been going to for maybe ten years or longer. Amy said the Costa Mesa Morton’s was the third largest in the chain of over one hundred locations.

I did not know that.

Our server, Matt, was good but he was no Amy. He tried hard and even made a tolerable joke about my age.

I misordered and ended up with more food that I had planned to eat. I thought I was ordering a small Chicago style rib eye steak and I ended up with the larger one. I knew that I could not finish it and the small lobster tail that I ordered. I wanted to have steak and lobster for my dinner. I ended up taking about half of the rib eye steak home. That will be tonight’s dinner for me.

Doug and I will not be having any beef for dinner at my flat this week either.

I was going to take some photos of our dinners but I decided against it. I have taken enough photos of slabs of beef at Morton’s that skipping the photos on Sunday was o great loss for anyone. I will say that we did manage to stuff ourselves with really well cooked steak and some vegetables.

Being good patrons of Morton’s, we did save room for the Morton’s Hot Chocolate Cake with vanilla ice cream and raspberries. This was an extremely wise move on our parts.



We left happy and full.

Woman of the Moment
We are back to Carmen Electra for the Woman of the Moment. Today is the only set of related images of Carmen. I think the set is interesting. For being 35, Carmen is in very fine physical shape.




Teaching
I was a substitute teacher again on Friday. It was a test of frustration for me. I had prepared a full class session lecture. Two students did not show up at all. Then, three more students left at the break in the night’s lecture. I did have a nice small seminar with the remaining four students.

I reminded one of the students that I was expecting to see her in the Saturday afternoon class. She smiled and said she would be in class for sure.

She didn’t show up on Saturday. I knew that she would be absent.

I knew my Saturday class was somewhat problematical. It was May 5th or Cinco de Mayo and that is a big party day in Southern California. It was also warm and sunny; that didn’t help attendance very much.

Only five of the eleven students showed up for school. One of those arrived late and left early. I will admit that some of my students did call in and explain that they had family conflicts or they had to go pick up a relative for a family gathering.

It is disappointing and frustrating for me. I prepare for the class and the students think it is fine to miss the class. I am becoming jaded now; I don’t care if they show up for class or not. I do my best. I will have no qualms about failing some of them and I will end doing that because they have not come to class and they have not done any homework.

The Saturday class is a foundation for three more accounting class in the business program. If the students fail to learn basic accounting, they will be floundering in the next classes.

My only concern is that I will have them again in one of my classes. That would be no fun at all.


Oh well, it is my birthday and I will be happy. I hope you all had a great weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home