Sunday, September 23, 2007

Weekend Update - September 23rd

Weekend Update
I ordered my tuxedo for the wedding on Friday. I never realized how expensive rentals are these days. It is going to cost me about USD$170 to look nice in the wedding photos.

One nice outcome of the rain storm on Saturday was clean skies on Sunday.

I had an email from one of my high school classmates, always nice. Wendy was checking to make certain she had my address. She did. It looks like my Class is planning on having a 45th Reunion in 2008. That made me feel very old.

The Reunion should be fun for me. Who knows, I might meet one of the unmarried women from my class and that could lead to something.

I checked the Sharon Tay website and it is still under construction. I wonder when or if it will ever be functional. I also checked the Speed Option web site. It is functioning after a fashion. It is available but it has not been updated since early August as far as I can tell. That is not a very good sign.

Visitors
We had another good visitor week. We had visitors from Texas [3], United Kingdom [5], Philippines, Taiwan [3], France [2], Canada [4], Korea [5], Japan, Macao, Peru, Hungary, Portugal, Sweden, Malaysia [2], Spain, India, Finland [2], Germany [3], Hong Kong, and Australia.

To the best of my knowledge, last week was the first time the blog has had a visitor from Macao.

We only had one visitor who stopped by for more than a few minutes. This visitor stopped by for a sixty one minute visit.

I do appreciate all of you who took time out of your busy schedules to visit the blog.

Weather – It Really Rained in Southern California
If you had listened to the local television weather news readers – clowns on Friday, you would have thought Southern California was facing a rain storm of near Biblical proportions. They were so excited that it seemed like they pooped in their pants.

Oh, the humanity of it all.

They were all on alert. They were on storm watch.

They had storm tracker radar following the storm.

The rain storm was the lead story on the local evening television news.

Well, it did rain on Friday night and Saturday morning. But, it was not Day 40 of the Forty Days and Nights of Rain. I heard one thunderclap as I went to bed and slept soundly for six hours.

There was some rain on Saturday morning. There was no thunder or lightening that I could see or hear. It was a modestly decent rainfall. I think the total storm will probably be around an inch or a couple of centimeters at the beach. The rainfall will be higher in the mountains.

I was so very happy that my cars were inside the car park and did not get rained on over night.

I suppose this weather is reasonable since it is now actually Fall. We observed the Autumnal Equinox this weekend. Fall is supposed to be a wet and cooler season. I had to put on long pants on Saturday because it was too damp and cool to sit in shorts and grade papers while I watched some college football on television.

I wonder if the weather will affect the Utah football game on Saturday night. Our Utes are playing the University of Nevada Las Vegas in Las Vegas. The storm passed through the area in the late morning. If the rain reaches Las Vegas, it should not have that much of an impact. I think the rain will quickly evaporate in the desert and the field will be fast and dry at game time. Besides, our Utes are used to playing in snow so a little rain should not be a concern.

The post rain storm weather television news readers were bounced over the screens Saturday night. The storm was the feature story since it was a slow news day in Southern California. The rainfall for the area near where I live was less than an inch.

There was a mudslide in Los Angeles and that was almost a non-event. The area below a hillside that had burned and the rains created a mudslide.

Gasp!

All of twenty cars were stuck in the mud. The mud was only up the bottoms of the car doors so it was not very deep. One apartment building had mud in a hall. One reporter had to watch where she was walking so she could keep her nice leather boots out of the mud. This reporter made the mudslide sound so dreadfully serious and possibly life threatening.

Oh wow.

We need a whole lot less drama in our lives.

Teaching
Grading papers was not how I wanted to spend Saturday afternoon. This is one of the ugly parts of teaching.

I had to grade papers from my students who are about to graduate. I had higher hopes and expectations when I sat down to read the assignment. It was a good thing the class is not a writing or English class because almost all of the students would have failed.

I had to work through incomplete sentences, fragments, run on sentences. Then, there were all of the wrong words that were spelled correctly. Some of the sentences were written as if the student had been told that complex sentences are the best ones to express knowledge and demonstrate mastery of the English language. The student was badly misinformed.

It looks like I will have to give the students a brief writing session in my class next week.

Utah Football
What happened in Las Vegas? I don't think we will ever know because what happened in Las Vegas, stayed in Las Vegas.

Last week, our Utes humiliated a nationally ranked UCLA in Salt Lake City and then they lose 27 to 0 to UNLV. Losing is bad but losing in Las Vegas for the first time since 1979 is much worse.

I think I know what happened. The other Utah team showed up and played horribly. They were able to bottle up UCLA but gave up 190 rushing yards to one UNLV player. The Utes could not convert on third down and managed to cough up the ball four times. Penalties did not help very much either.

The Utah head coach, Kyle Willingham, needs to learn how to motivate his players. Either that or take away their newspapers so they don’t believe everything they read in them.

This is going to be such a long season for me.

Woman of the Moment
Well, the Woman of the Moment can always improve my outlook on life. Seeing Mary Castro in her bikinis will always be a mood improving event for me. I hope you will feel the same way.






Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home