Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Boxing Day

Boxing Day
Boxing Day for me was putting the place back together after Christmas.

I started in the kitchen. That was an obvious choice. It was also an easy task for me. I had to put the dishes and pans away. I spent more time than I wanted too cleaning off the aluminum pot marks on my porcelain sink. But, it had to be done sooner or later.

Yesterday, after we had finished on Christmas dinner, I invited Doug to stop bye and help me take the Christmas tree and the decorations. I tossed in a trip to Giuliano’s for lunch. I think that was what convinced him to come help me.

Doug was surprised when he received a baker’s dozen semi-sweet chocolate chips cookies from Giuliano’s and a large ice blended gingerbread drink from the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. He had mentioned that they were all he wanted for Christmas in his blog. I also gave him a few more things to make the season merry and bright.

That just goes to show you that some people read the blogs.

My brother called me this morning to ask how my Christmas was and what I did. I said that I spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking and that Doug and his mother came over for part of the day. He said he had a quiet Christmas in San Francisco.

Post Christmas Cleaning
Post Christmas cleaning sounds like a misstatement.

Not for me.

Every Boxing Day which is the day after Christmas, I make it a point to go through my desk and clean out all of the accumulate junk and debris that have found refuge there in the past year. It is a good way to start the new year.

This year’s haul included two old cell phones that will be recycled. I also found some unused checks from an account that I closed two years ago. No sense in keeping them around. I still have some more junk and odd bits of my life to toss out. I ought to finish this project today or tomorrow.

Recovery – Part 9B
I received an appointment notice from the clinic that I was scheduled for a CT scan on January 11th at 8:00 AM on Saturday. This is an important scan because it will show how I am reacting to the chemotherapy. Unfortunately for me, I was scheduled for my first infusion as they call the chemotherapy drug I will be taking.

I couldn’t call to reschedule my appointment on Saturday because I didn’t pick my mail up until Sunday morning. I had thought about calling on Monday but gave that idea quickly because of the holiday.

I called this morning. I was shocked when the phone was answered by a human on the first ring. I was expecting a long trip through an automated call directory followed by an interminable time listening to music while I was on hold.

My luck on was a giant roll today. I was able to reschedule the CT scan for only a week later. That will give Doug another opportunity to hang out with day and score a free lunch at Giuliano’s.

Perfectomundo.

Doug talked to me yesterday about the idea of starting a pool to see how long it takes the oncologist to ask to see my scar. Every doctor so far has asked to see the scar. I think this is just professional voyeurism on their part. The scar has been looked, checked, and examined by half a dozen doctors including the surgeon who pronounced it a very pretty scar that healed nicely. She is entitled to admire her cutting and staple gun [to close the incision] handiwork.

I am looking forward to the next oncologist visit and the “May I see the incision?” pool.

Who says going to see the doctor is no fun?

Cleaning Out the Mental Inbox
I am going to clean out my mental inbox of thoughts and comments before the year runs out on me.

My Bluetooth cell phone accessory seems to be working fine, once I figured out how to make it work. It is handy because I can keep both of my hands on the steering wheel of the vehicle instead of talking on a hand held cell phone while motoring down the freeway at 70 miles an hour / 112 kilometers an hour.

I like to avoid and minimize personal risk whenever I can. This is one way.

My e-wife gave me a ginormous University of Utah coffee cup – small soup bowl. I think it is twice the size of one of my normal coffee mugs. I tried it this morning and it worked perfectly. I did have to reheat the remaining coffee in the cup once. That was understandable.

The new iPod Nano is a rely joy to take along when I go for my walks. I enjoy the music and it helps the walk go bye faster. I think I could get better results if I had some John Philip Souza or Pipes and Drums of the 48th Highlanders on the iPod. March music is easier to walk with and it is probably at a faster pace then some of the songs I have loaded so far on the iPod.

My turkey turned out perfectly yesterday. Everyone who was here ate in silence; that was my signal that the meal was being enjoyed by all. I had a leftover turkey sandwich for lunch today.

I think that will clean out the mental inbox. But, I know better than that. I will think of something to say almost as soon as I post the blog entry.

I did. I should also point out that there was a qualified booth of replay officials at the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl when Utah defeated Navy. You have to read the Weekend Update for December 23rd and the comments to understand this thought.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home