Sunday, February 17, 2008

Recovery - Part 15 & Weekend Update February 17th

Recovery – Part 15
I am in the middle of my first chemotherapy cycle. I get a dose of the medicine every three weeks. My next infusion, as the medical profession calls the treatment, is this coming Friday. Infusion sounds like an odd term for an injection of a cancer fighting drug. It sounds more like something you get done to your hair when you go to the salon.

Speaking or writing of hair, I still have it. It is gray of course. It doesn't seem to grow as fast as it did before I started my treatments. The stylist who cuts my hair is not all that thrilled about slow growing hair. Personally, I think slow growing hair is much better than no hair at all. I did tell her that if my hair starts to fall out, I will let her shave my head.

I saw the oncologist resident last Friday. I see the doctors every three weeks. The oncology clinic is at a teaching hospital so I get to see a new resident with each visit. All of the residents to see me have been females and three were Asian American.

How about that for a coincidence?

Friday's resident was the first one of the four. I have seen who didn't ask to see my scar. That was a very pleasant surprise for Doug and me.

I also made her day or at least made her happy because I had gained a kilogram or about two pounds since my prior visit. Doug said it was because we had been making a concerted effort to visit the local ice cream stores.

The doctor gave me a sort of overview of the CT scan that was done a couple of weeks ago and the regular blood tests. The hospital computer network was acting up so she had some difficulty pulling the information off of the servers. My blood test results were all within the expected ranges and that is very good. It means that I am tolerating the medicine and it is not causing me any trouble.

I think I told you that my first CT scan when I had the operation showed a two centimeter [about the size of a postage stamp] spot on my liver. It is still there but it is not any larger. I think this is a good result. Doug thinks that with only one infusion that it is too early to expect any results. The current thinking is that, at the end of the first chemotherapy treatment, my condition will be evaluated. It is likely that the doctors will opt for a surgical solution for the liver and remove the part with the lesion on it. Fortunately, the liver will grow back. The surgery is likely to be less complicated than the one in October.

About the only thing I don’t like about my recovery so far is the need to use an electric razor. I have shaved with a blade for almost all of my life. I am used to it. The problem with a razor blade is the chance of a cut that could lead to an infection because of my reduced immune system strength. It just takes forever to get the shaving job done in the morning. Oh well, I will endure this very minor burden.

I feel good and I am happy. I like to joke with the nurses when I am in the clinic. I am enjoying my life and I expect to be doing this for a long time to come. Life is good.

Glacier Gelato
Doug and I went to Glacier Gelato on Thursday. We were both looking forward to the trip and we were not disappointed at all.



I had three scoops of coffee flavored gelato. I do love coffee and ice cream and gelato. Doug had some Oreo Mint ice cream. We plan to go back to Glacier Gelato in a couple of weeks after the next cold sensitivity from the chemotherapy wears off a bit.

Faline Song
Normally, I would post the Woman of the Moment Encore feature towards the bottom of the blog. Since this is a holiday weekend, I see no reason why Faline can’t be moved to the top of the blog.




It is nice to see that Faline is an Angels fan.

The Princess
I phoned the Princess on St. Valentine’s Day. She is the middle of boxing stuff up for her move to Seattle. I am glad that I don’t have to face that task anytime soon.

The Princess was disappointed with her Dad because he was spending the Day by himself. She felt that I should be out and about. The Princess said I should consider online dating sites like Match.com.

I don’t know about online dating. It seems that people are not who they present themselves to be. I don’t want to go out with a woman who claims to be well educated only to find out she is one of the dimmer blubs in the house or duller tools in the shed.

Maybe I will give online dating a try after things settle out with the treatment program.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me on Friday to thank me for a news story I sent to her. The story was about her former employer reporting a loss for 2007. I think the loss is related to the overall decline in housing industry in California; the company was big in mortgage lending.

Then, Sharon nagged me about not having a girl friend. She thought I should be out dating if only to have someone sitting in the theater seat next to me. By way of explanation, I have some season seats at two theaters so I can attend around ten or twelve performances a year.

Being nagged by your ex-girl friend about not having a girl friend and not dating is not much fun.

Sharon went on to tell me how things are at her current job. She is overworked and under too much pressure. She needs to take a break or rest. We are supposed to have lunch in March when school is out of session.

Weekend Update
Let’s see. What did I do that was note worthy over the weekend?

Nothing really. I went to school and had a good class. I spent most of the class period tossing out jewels to help the students complete their major project which is the bulk of their grade.

I was bummed out when I picked up a Butterfinger candy bar from the vending machine. The price had gone up from USD$0.75 to USD$1.00; that’s a 33% increase. It looks like I will be consuming fewer Butterfingers in the future.

I went to the market this morning because I was almost out of food.

Visitors
We had another good week and we are on our way to the third best month ever for the blog. I do appreciate all of you who come to the blog on a regular or irregular basis.

We had visitors from Canada [13], Switzerland [3], Iran [3], Norway [2], Belgium, Germany [7], Philippines [2], Japan [7], France [10], Mexico, United Kingdom, New Zealand [2], United Arab Emirates [2], Australia [4], Singapore [3], Georgia, Finland, Argentina, Peru [2], Brazil [4], Spain [5], Turkey [5], Romania, Sweden, Indonesia [3], Netherlands, Italy [6], Hungary [2], Venezuela, Bulgaria [2], Israel, Poland [2], Vietnam, Malaysia, Korea [4], Macau, Texas [3], Ireland, and Chile.

This was the first time that we have had a visitor from the Republic of Georgia.

We also had some visitors who stayed to admire my ability to selection interesting photo images. We had visitor each stop by for 24 minutes, 16 minutes, 15 minutes, 12 minutes, and 11 minutes.

Programming Note
I won’t be posting an entry to the blog on Monday. I will, instead, observe the Presidents’ Day holiday. Tuesday is problematical for a post since I will be in school all day; in the morning to teach a class and in the afternoon to participate in instructor training.


That was my weekend. I hope you had a great weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home