Thursday, February 07, 2008

It's almost the Weekend

It’s almost the Weekend
Yes, it is almost the weekend and I am so looking forward to it. The weekend means I am one week closer to the time when I can go to Coldstone Creamery and suck down some really rich ice cream.

The weekend also marks the halfway point of this chemotherapy treatment.

I was dinking around with Sitemeter.com yesterday. I was curious about where the visitors came from; beyond the weekly visitor listing I attempt to create. I think I am pleased that about 30% came from outside of the United States. This seems like a good volume since most of my writing is about my life, a relatively narrow subject, and what is happening where I live in the United States.

Most of you know that I follow Korean soap operas that are broadcast in the evening on a local Korean language channel. I believe the soap operas provide some insight into the Korean culture and people. I know that some aspects are dramatized for theatric reasons; otherwise, the shows would be incredibly dull.

It is Christmas time in the current show. I could also say it is the end of December in the current show. The programs are all broadcast in the native Korean with English language subtitles. I found it fascinating that when the characters were in public settings, the background music was English language Christmas music. Somehow, I find it difficult to imagine Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” or “Hark, The Herald Angels” in the background.

I couldn’t get away from the idea that the songs could have been translated in Korean for the program. I know there are Christian churches in Korea and it strikes me as being highly unusual that they would not have hymnals that feature the classic, traditional Christian songs so someone could sing the songs in Korean for public broadcast.

I suppose in a week or so I will be hearing “Auld Lang Syne” in the background when the timeline moves on to New Year’s Eve.

Fascinating.

Faline Song
I’ll end the blog with some Faline Song images. This is an excellent way to end the blog.






Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home