Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Vacation Update

Vacation Update
Well, here it is March 5th already. Where did Winter go?

For once, the weather here in Southern California has been Spring like. Doug has been making a regular long walk along the beach in the afternoon. I would probably join him except he walks too fast for me and the chemotherapy does take away some of my energy.

I was supposed to have lunch with my friend Sharon this week. We were originally going to go today but she had to make a major presentation at work. Next, I suggested Tuesday, yesterday. Sharon never got back to me until late in the afternoon. She was on her way home from work early because she was still suffering from a cold. Sharon said it would not be good for me to meet her because of my weakened immune system. I am going to call Sharon on Monday when she is at her desk and with her schedule so we can reschedule our lunch.

I have been enjoying my vacation from the blog this week. I have been indulging myself by sleeping in past my usual 5:21 AM alarm clock ring. It goes off then because one tap on the snooze feature gives me eight more minutes and then I think seriously about getting up sometime between 5:30 and 5:45 AM.

Friday is my day to visit with the oncologists to discuss my progress and see what they have in mind for me. I am optimistic that they will be able to tell me when I will have my MRI examination. Thursday is my usual dressing change day; hopefully Glenda or Jennifer will be able to change my dressing. I do like them.

I am prepared to wait to see the oncologists on Friday. I have a new book about how the United States tried to use economic power against Japan in the years leading up to the Pearl Harbor attack. This is anything but a fast read so I am in good shape to kill time. In addition, I will also have the Friday Sudoku puzzle that is rated as diabolical to help me kill some more time.

I went to the market today; I had to run some errands and the market was one of the stops. It is not my main market but one of the alternative markets that have really interesting food. I wanted to pick up some frozen salmon steaks stuffed with feta cheese for Doug’s and my dinner tonight. There were all out so I bought some swordfish steaks instead; we were both happy with the second choice.

I also treated myself to some dark chocolate covered dehydrated blueberries. Dark chocolate and blueberries are supposed to have some health benefits. Health benefits plus chocolate, what’s not to like about that food combination.

School and Grades and Next Term’s Classes
I got my grades in on time for the last term. I only had one student who failed one of my three classes. He failed the writing class because he didn’t do the weekly writing assignments. It is difficult to pass a writing course without writing.

After turning in my grades, I stopped by the Associate Dean’s office to see how many students were scheduled for my classes. I have seventeen schedule for Wednesday afternoon Microeconomics; thirty two in my Written Analysis on Wednesday evening; and ten in my Saturday Professional Presentations class. The nice thing about school is that not everyone shows up for the courses so I am hopeful that my Written Analysis course will not be as large as the schedule program is forecasting.

I think Saturday will be the most fun and easiest course for me to teach. It is mostly public speaking and how to make PowerPoint presentations or as I like to call it, Magic Lantern Shows and Smoke and Mirrors. I have taught Microeconomics twice so I don’t have any preparation work to do beyond inserting the lecture notes in a new syllabus and putting it in the course notebook. I do have to create lesson plans for the other classes but that should not be a major challenge when one text book has just over 300 pages with lots of pictures and graphs. The other new course has one text book that is about 250 pages in one book and around 350 pages in another text book.

Anti-virus Programs
I subscribe to an email based, weekly newsletter on Windows Vista. I subscribed to the earlier Windows XP newsletter. I read it and have, over the last three years, downloaded some useful applets and programs. I also read it because it lets me know of problems that I ought to avoid.

I was reading it last week. I was really interested in an article that talked about program that were incompatible or had other issues and troubles Windows Vista. I am really glad that I read the article because I learned that the Trend Micro Anti-Virus program would not work on the program and I was just about to renew my Trend Micro Anti-Virus program. I ordered McAfee instead.

Pathfinder
I took the Pathfinder into the Nissan dealership because it was making an abnormal noise that indicated a problem with the fan belts or one of the devices that are attached to them. I did not want to have the water pump or alternator go out when I am forty miles from home.

I spent two hours at the dealership while they figured out what the problem was. It turns out the idler bearing assembly is failing. I can accept this; the Pathfinder is thirteen years old now and this is original equipment. The bearing is a sealed bearing so there was no oil or grease to add to it over the years. The new bearing will cost about USD$40.00 plus labor to install. I may have to replace the belts but that is not unreasonable to me.

I am going back to the dealership on Monday to have the new idler bearing assembly put in. hopefully, I can get out with only a couple of hours waiting time.

Speed Options web site
The Speed Options web site is no more.

I will miss it; it was the source of most of the images that I had used for the Woman of the Moment feature over the years. I think it had images of over 200 models. I only used the ones that were featured as the Model of the Month.

Doug introduced me to the web site when he wrote about Mercedes Terrell in his old blog on Blogger.com.

Ironic Commercials
I was watching one of the news programs on television yesterday when I saw a parody of the Jack Nicholson commercial for Hillary Clinton’s Presidential Campaign. I was struck by the ironic choice of background music for the commercial. The background music was the Battle hymn of the republic, a song that most of my generation [we older people tend to vote a lot] and a lot of other Americans associates almost exclusively with the 16th President of the United States of America, Abraham Lincoln, the first Republic Party President.

Woman of the Moment Encore
Here are some images of the Hankook Tire Girls. I think I will re-start the Woman of the Moment Encore program with the Weekend Update posting on Sunday.




Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home