Thursday, April 03, 2008

Weekend Awaits Me

Weekend Awaits Me
Yes, it is almost time for the weekend and I am looking forward to the weekend. For one reason, the weather promises to be better. We had some rain, heavy at times and usually when I was sound asleep, on Wednesday. The weekend is supposed to be clear and cool; not the best weather for me after an infusion.

Baby Blues and the Clinic
I do get to see the Baby Blues on Friday when I go to the clinic for another infusion. This will be my fifth infusion. Seeing the Baby Blues is always an excellent way to start out my weekend. I am very hopeful that Jennifer will be around when it comes time to change my dressing. I haven’t seen Jennifer in a month or so.

I had my regular before the infusion blood test this morning. I got in and out of the clinic in under an hour. This is good timing for me. in fact, I was home before Doug got up today.

I have a new book to read while I am waiting for the chemical to run through the IV machine. It usually takes a little over two hours to complete the process. This book is One Hundred Unorthodox Strategies. It is a Chinese military treatise on strategy. Most of the articles were written over a thousand or more years ago but they still seem very valid today. I started reading it and I have around 200 pages to go. I don’t think I will finish it tomorrow at the clinic.

Merit and El Gringo
I went to El Gringo for what I call my “Dinner with Merit.” Actually, as most you know, Merit is the Server. Merit waved to me as I pulled up and parked in front of El Gringo.

Merit was working tonight; last week, I went to my fraternity dinner. Merit said she missed me last week and kept thinking I would be in late until Alana the Busser told her that I was having dinner somewhere else.

On a side note, Alana left El Gringo. She was one of the best bussers. A busser is the person who cleans up a table and then resets it after the guests leave. A busser will also fill your water glasses and non-alcoholic drink glasses.

While it was so wonderful to see Merit, we didn’t have much time to talk. El Gringo was busy with several large groups. Couple that with training two new bussers meant no real conversation time for us.

Hopefully, next week will be better.

On a very positive note, Merit was wearing shorty shorts tonight. That was another sure and certain sign that Summer is coming. Maybe I can give up wearing my jacket soon.

Glacier Gelato
Our, that would Doug and me, planned trip to Glacier Gelato this afternoon did not come to pass. One of Doug’s best friends was in the area and he and Doug hung up for most of the afternoon to the point that a trip to Glacier would not make senses.

There will be plenty of other opportunities to go Glacier Gelato. Summer is right around the corner.

Woman of the Moment Encore
Time for more Aiko Tanaka images. I am running out of images so I will probably wrap up the Aiko Tanaka session over the weekend. Next week, I will feature Sunisa Kim as the Woman of the Moment Encore.


School
School on Wednesday was a long day for me. I had two three hours courses and a one hour meeting in between the classes.

Both of my classes went well for me. I think I got the lessons across. But, I am troubled by the school’s near obsession with maintaining a specific completion rate [students who start the course and student who complete the course] and an unrealistic assumption for the course passing rate [students who pass the course]. Instructors are judged and retained on a basis of not necessarily be a good instructor but more on the completion and passing rates.

I find this to be very troubling as an instructor.

I did garner a small measure of pleasure at seeing how some of my advanced writing students improved from week to week. This is one of the few nonmonetary rewards that teaching brings. Hopefully, I will be able to bring more of my students along as the term progresses.

My Saturday class should be a relaxing one for me because I am going to have the students get caught up on their presentations. I can sit while they present to the class.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home