Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Finals Week

Finals Week
Finals Week is here. How I used to dread this part of teaching. Now, I don’t anymore.

So far, in my final grading, three students have failed in two of my courses. There will be more regrettably. Since none of my classes have a final examination, I view this as the students failed themselves. All of the courses require a final written project of some sort and weekly assignments. The students failed themselves because they did not complete the project and assignments.

I nagged and reminded them all quarter long about completing the assignments and project. Some of the students actually lied to me when I asked how their project was coming along. They said everything was fine and then there was nothing to turn in on the last day of class.

One of my failing students was supposed to graduate next month. Now, because he failed, my class, major area of study requirement, he will not graduate and will have to repeat the course. I wonder how he will explain that to his parents.

Oh well, it is not my worry anymore.

Programming Note
I may not have a posting tomorrow night because I have a late meeting at school to attend. The meeting ends at 6:00 PM and the traffic will man that I have an hour more to drive home. I just may call off posting since I doubt that I will have too much to add to today’s posting.

My Friend Sharon
My friend Sharon called me this morning.

Sharon was driving to her office and I guess she wanted or needed to talk to someone about the drama in her life lately while she was driving. Sharon said that one of her former bosses had just died from cancer and that hardly anyone went to the service.

Not the best possible topic for a cancer patient whose cancer just went into remission. But, why dwell on me?

It seems that she is busy because her current boss is on vacation. He went away and left a new branch office opening in her hands. Of course, it is not ready to open and there are construction related problems to deal with.

Sharon arrived at her office and that was the end of the phone conversation.

Dinner with Merit
I went to El Gringo for my regular Tuesday dinner with Merit.

I did not have much time to talk with Merit because she was by herself and there were two large family groups that came in with me. We did have a brief conversation. Merit congratulated me on my cancer going into remission.

I found out that I will have to change my dining location for the weekly dinner with Merit from Redondo Beach to Hermosa Beach. That is not the best of all worlds; but, it is highly manageable for me.

My Friend Sharon – Part II
My friend Sharon called me on her way home from work.

We talked for about 90 minutes about a potential problem her employer might get involved with. It is nice to be wanted, if only, for my knowledge. Sharon had a sound idea for a solution; she likes to bounce her ideas off of someone else. I reaffirmed her concept of the problem and then offered a solution of my own for her.

Sharon did say she wanted to get together with me for lunch or dinner real soon. Long term readers will recall that Sharon said that back in May when it was my birthday.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home