Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Really Must Have Been Tired

I really must have been tired
As I drove us to the hospital on Friday morning, I commented to Doug that we must have had a heavy dew overnight.

Doug said that it rained overnight. There was thunder and lightning from around 11:00 PM until midnight or so. All I could say was really?

I went to bed after I got home from school and ate a quick dinner. That must have been a little before 11:00 PM. I slept very soundly as I usually wake up when there is any thunder.

Later on, after we finished at the hospital, I watched the noon local news. The weather news reader said the National Weather Service recorded over 400 cloud to ground lightning strikes between midnight and 3:00 AM on Friday morning. The rather large storm cell touched land at Redondo Beach and then drifted north into Malibu before starting to fall apart over the coastal mountain range.

Remission [Reprinted from August 15th]
Remission is certainly a very nice word to hear from your oncologist.

I went to see the oncologist with Doug this morning. The oncologist reviewed where we are in the cancer treatment with us. I asked her to give me a one or two word descriptor for my condition. She used the word remission.

Perfectomundo.

I had sort of expected this result since the scans in May could not find any trace of cancer in my body. The colonoscopy came up with no polyps when the procedure was finished two weeks ago. My most recent MRI scan showed the liver lesions had not grown from the time they were discovered last October.

Even with all of this good and very positive news, I am still not out of the woods. Colon cancer is one type of cancer that tends to have a higher reoccurrence rate. I am likely to have stay under observation for years to come. I expect to have to wait for another year or more before I can have my colon reconnected and properly functioning again.

Still, this is not all that bad for me to endure.

My case goes before the hospital’s Tumor Board next Wednesday where the oncologists and surgeons decide what to do next. The big question for now is what to do with the liver lesions. The lesions are relatively small so they could be removed I think fairly easily.

Doug and I will go back for a conference visit with the oncologists next Friday and find out what the Tumor Board decided to do next.

Weekend Update
I watched my Oakland Raiders play American football on Friday night. The team played well and should have won the game. The players were undone by inept play calling by the coaches and lost by a score of 17 to 16.

In the closing minutes of the game, the Raiders were driving for a score following a 72 yard run that left the football on the nine yard line. In a series of brilliant play calls that reminded me of the purser who was rearranging the deck chairs on the RMS Titanic, the Raiders, using an exhausted running back, managed to drive to the one yard line on the next play only to give th4e game away.

Now, they had three chances to score some points. Easy enough you say. The next play called for a running play that went nowhere. The ball carrier fumbled the ball. The other team recovered and went on to score and win the game in the final seconds of regular playing time.

That was so discouraging.

On the plus side of life, I did find some new Faline Song images. I may post these new images either this week or next week. For those of who have become recent visitors to the blog, Faline is one of my favorite Women of the Moment.

Visitors
The blog had another good week for visitors. The blog is now averaging just over 100 visits per day. This effectively has put an end to my tracking where visitors because sitemeter.com only tracks the most recent 100 visitors. Looking ahead, there will be days next term that I will not be able to track visitor activity because of my teaching schedule, a late night class followed by an early morning class the next day.


Not very much of a weekend for me it seems. I hope you had a good weekend.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home