Sunday, August 03, 2008

Weekend Update - August 3rd

Colonoscopy
I had my colonoscopy on Friday.

This is not my favorite medical procedure. It is necessary because the discomfort from the procedure is nothing compared to having your abdomen cut open and part of your colon cut out.

The hospital has everyone show up at 6:00 AM so they can make certain all of the paperwork is correct. This is a fancy way of saying we need time to cover up and correct mistakes that were made by other employees.

I may be intelligent but I have no idea what forms are required for the procedure.

I waited around for about ninety minutes until a resident took my vital signs and asked a bunch of questions. Some of the questions were repetitious. I put up with the questioning because the resident needs to learn. That, plus the fact that she looked like she was barely out of high school, let alone medical school.

The doctor would performed my procedure didn’t come to work until 8:30 AM.

It is a very good thing for me that I learned how to hurry up and wait while serving in the United States Navy.

My turn for the procedure started around 9:45. The nurse asked me the same questions as the resident asked me. It seems no one shares information.

Oh well, life happens.

The procedure went well. I didn’t watch Dr. Kim insert the tube into my colon. I dozed off and on while she stuffed the tube down my colon.

After Dr. Kim finished the examination, I noticed that she was wearing make-up. Most of the female residents and doctors do not wear make-up. She had on glitter on her eyes and that looked very nice. I think the only other female resident or doctor who wore make-up was Dr. Donna Varella. Dr. Varella has been the favorite doctor for Doug and me.

The good news from the colonoscopy was there were no polyps in my colon at all. This means there is a much lower likelihood of colon cancer reoccurrence. It also means that the oncologists and surgeons will be more inclined to reconnect my colon in a year or so. That is good for me.

I was taken back to the staging area so I could change my clothes and go home. I was changing my clothes when several large drops or blobs of blood came out of my rectum. This was probably caused by me giving myself an enema on Thursday night and again on Friday morning plus the colonoscopy tube being inserted.

The nurses seemed to panic at the sight of blood. They pushed me back into bed and called Dr. Kim back to deal with the emergency. I smiled at her and said, “We can’t go on meeting like this.”

Dr. Kim smiled and laughed. We talked about what might have happened to cause the bleeding. It was all sort of matter of fact and calm. Dr. Kim said the rectum was very irritated so she was not surprised that it bleed. She stuck a plug, more like a thick gauze pad to help stop the bleeding. Dr. Kim gave me some instructions on what to do if the bleeding continued or got worse.

As it turned out, everything cleared up by the later afternoon.

I have a follow up appointment to see Dr. Kim again in September.

Since there were no polyps to cut out, I wasn’t on any eating restrictions except no solid food until dinner. I could live with that. I went to Giuliano’s for a sandwich and to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for an ice blended to go with the sandwich for my dinner. I also scored a piece of chocolate truffle cake for dessert.

Perfectomundo.

Haircutting and Me
I received an angry email from Amber the Stylist on Friday. She was upset because I hadn’t called or emailed her about changing my next haircut appointment and that she learned about the change from Natalie the Receptionist.

I felt like sending her a similar blast and saying that I was sorry that she received the notice in the manner that she did but I was more concerned with my health and what was happening on Friday. I decided against doing that because it would be so childish.

Instead, I just may give up on going to salons and go back to the discount hair cutting places because my hair style is not that complicated. The discount hair cutting solution is so much less distasteful for me. It is also much less expensive.

School and Teaching
I stopped the Associate Dean’s office on Thursday. I had a couple of questions for him. I was concerned that my quarterly evaluation was on the lower than it should be side. The dean said that my department chair grades harder than most other department chairs. That made me feel better.

I also wanted to know what my teaching schedule might look like. Of course the schedule is still very tentative; but he is looking at me to teach four or five classes. Three classes would be night classes and two would be day classes but I won’t have a Saturday class. I think three classes would be new classes for me so that means more lecture note preparation than I would prefer.

I told the dean that I was tentatively pleased and happy with the tentative courses.

I was talking to my Thursday morning Composition II students about the need for them to complete the course evaluations. I may or may not get a bonus at the end of the term depending on the student evaluations.

We got to talking about teaching styles and teaching philosophies. One of the students said I was like a “quiet version of Mr. Freed,” one of my friends and fellow teacher. Mr. Freed and I teach some of the same courses. I shared this comment with Mr. Freed and the Dean; they both roared in laughter.

University of Utah Football – Go Utes
It is almost time for college football again. I am so happy that I may not have a Saturday class so I can enjoy watching college football on television.

I got the monthly alumni newsletter from the school on Friday. I clicked on the Ute Football icon so I could see what has happened to the team. The future is looking good for the team. It plays Michigan in Ann Arbor this year and Notre Dame in South Bend in 2010. This will provide the team with national television exposure that will only help with recruiting.

The Utes are picked to finish second in the Mountain West Conference behind BYU. A second place finish should be good enough to gain an invitation to a mid-level post season bowl game.

It looks like the Princess and I will be having a good football season.

Cinema
I went to see THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR this morning.

I had high hopes for the film because I really enjoyed the first two films in the franchise.
Unfortunately for me, the film let me down. It has some nice CGI but CGI cannot carry a film like this. You need clever dialogue that will build some chemistry between the actors. The dialogue was woefully inadequate.

Brendan Fraser looked like he was phoning in his performance. Maria Bello appeared to try to fill the vacant shoes Rachael Weisz who starred opposite Fraser in the first two films. Bello is a good actress who deserved a much better script. Perhaps, Bello can help save the franchise with a motivated Fraser.

Luke Ford plays their son. He reminded me of Hayden Christensen in STAR WARS EPISODES TWO and THREE. He was stiffer than a plank of southern live oak.

The only good thing about the film is the performances of Michelle Yeoh and Isabella Leong, who plays Yeoh’s daughter in the film. Their performances were near perfect, given a less than a suitable script for them to work with.



If there is a fourth film, I hope the writers can leave the Luke Ford character out of the film.

Weekend Update
Having a .large ice blended for dinner was not the best of all possible decisions for me. I ended up tossing and turning all night long. I should know better by now.

I tune into the read the BBC Online news summaries because I want a better international coverage than I can get from the domestic news providers. I just love the British understatements when they report on London weather; they use the phrase “sunny intervals” to describe what we in the States would call “partly cloudy.”

Visitors
We had another good week for visitors this week. While we didn’t have any new national visitors, we did move back into a foreign visitor position with 54% coming from outside of the United States.

We had visitors from Texas [18], Canada [19], Mexico [5], Singapore [13], Italy [6], Argentina, Germany [25], Malaysia [4], Belgium, Thailand [6], Switzerland, United Kingdom [12], Iran, Netherlands [3], Croatia, France [8], Vietnam [4], Australia [8], Japan [6], Brazil [7], Finland, Honduras, Korea [6], China [2], Sweden [2], Austria [4], Slovakia, India, Guam, Hungary, Indonesia [3], New Zealand, Poland [3], Norway, Colombia, Peru, Saudi Arabia [2], United Arab Emirates [5], Hong Kong, Portugal, Spain [2], Bahrain, Luxembourg, Denmark, Philippines [3], Venezuela, Morocco, Palestine, Turkey, and Ireland.

I do appreciate all of you who took time from your days to visit the blog.


That was my weekend. All in all, I consider this to be a close to excellent weekend for me.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home