Friday, August 15, 2008

Remission

Remission
Remission is certainly a very nice word to hear from your oncologist.

I went to see the oncologist with Doug this morning. The oncologist reviewed where we are in the cancer treatment with us. I asked her to give me a one or two word descriptor for my condition. She used the word remission.

Perfectomundo.

I had sort of expected this result since the scans in May could not find any trace of cancer in my body. The colonoscopy came up with no polyps when the procedure was finished two weeks ago. My most recent MRI scan showed the liver lesions had not grown from the time they were discovered last October.

Even with all of this good and very positive news, I am still not out of the woods. Colon cancer is one type of cancer that tends to have a higher reoccurrence rate. I am likely to have stay under observation for years to come. I expect to have to wait for another year or more before I can have my colon reconnected and properly functioning again.

Still, this is not all that bad for me to endure.

My case goes before the hospital’s Tumor Board next Wednesday where the oncologists and surgeons decide what to do next. The big question for now is what to do with the liver lesions. The lesions are relatively small so they could be removed I think fairly easily.

Doug and I will go back for a conference visit with the oncologists next Friday and find out what the Tumor Board decided to do next.

I hope you have a great weekend. I know that I will.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home