Monday, September 01, 2008

Labor Day

Labor Day
I didn’t get up early this morning. There was no reason to get out of bed. I knew the only news stories of the day would be Hurricane Gustav and the Republican National Convention; I saw those stories last night.

The holiday started out overcast and cool. Not a good sign for a holiday. Things turned around in the afternoon following the burn off of the late night and early morning low clouds and fog along the coast.

Teaching – Part III
I phoned the Associate Dean on Thursday to see if there had been any resolution for my teaching schedule. I was not surprised when he said that the two department chairs were still working on the trouble.

I think I will end up teaching three courses that are ones that I would not choose first. That really makes me sad.

Women of the Moment Encore – Eiko Koike
My favorite or second favorite Woman of the Moment, Eiko Koike, got married last year. Fortunately for me, I still have about sixty images of her saved on two different CDs.




American College Football
The Princess should be happy with the start of the American college football season this past Thursday night. Her graduate school’s football team, the University of South Carolina Gamecocks, won its home opener by a score of 37 to 0. They took advantage of North Carolina State University in a game in Columbus.

While some might decry the lopsided score, the Princess would probably say something like, “Isn’t that ever so special that my boys won a glorious victory?” The Princess has always loved a winner and she hates to lose; I think she is like the vast majority of the rest of us in liking winners and hating to lose.

Our underdog University of Utah Utes will have a much more difficult time with their opening game. They are playing the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor before 105,000 screaming Michigan fans. This is probably the biggest crowd the Utes have ever played in front of.

Surprise, surprise; our Utes shocked Michigan, winning 25 to 23. It was much closer than the score appeared to be. The Ute defense almost self destructed by making some really unnecessary penalties. This allowed Michigan to get back in the game. The flight back to Salt Lake City will be very nice for the Utes, carrying home victory and a big paycheck from Michigan. Schools like Utah are invited to play at Michigan because they are good schools and Michigan will play nicely to give their fans another home game.

My Brother must be very happy because his University of Southern California Trojans won their opening game at Virginia 53 to 7. The score sounds like it was a dull game unless you happen to be a Southern California fan. Doug thought the game was interesting. I watched the Utah game since it was on television at the same time as the Southern California game.

Doug
Doug phoned me on Friday morning after John McCain announced that he had selected Sarah Palin, the Governor of Alaska to be his Vice Presidential running mate. Doug supports the other candidate and he wanted to know what my reaction was to the selection.

I said that I really didn’t know too much about Governor Palin except what I had heard on the early morning news programs. I knew that she was pro-life, a hunter and outdoorswoman, and that she had five children, one of whom was currently serving with the Forces in Iraq.

I also thought the selection might appeal to a number of the disaffected female Hillary Clinton supporters. Doug wasn’t so sure that I was right on this idea. I guess we will have to wait and see what develops between now and November.

Lunch with My Friend Gary
I had lunch with my friend Gary on Friday. We went to a newly opened Corner Bakery. I think it had been open for about a week now. The staff was a little rocky but they were eager to please. I had a sandwich and a bowl of soup and my friend had a really large salad.

We talked about how credit unions were doing. We came to the conclusion that most credit unions are overpaying for poor performance from their CEOs and probably just accepting the poor performance because everyone else is not doing well.

I did point out several credit unions that were making money. No one wants to hear that story.

We kept wondering how our old credit union board continued to accept ongoing losses. In the past, this was unacceptable performance and we probably would have been asked to step down if we turned in similar sad performance.

After lunch, I checked my old credit union that I was CEO. The new CEO doesn’t seem to be setting the world on fire. So far, the old credit union is shrinking and losing money. It will probably end up losing money for the year and probably will do poorly next year as well.

Cinema
I saw TROPIC THUNDER on Monday. This was a film that one of Doug’s friends worked on. I stayed after the film ended to see if I could see her name. I think I missed seeing her name.

Overall, I really liked the film. It was a good comedy that made fun of war movies and Hollywood in general. I thought Tom Cruise’s portrayal of the over the top studio head was near perfect. I also like Ben Stiller’s performance as the Colonel Kurtz like character at the end of the film. This is a film that you can see more than once. I believe that Doug has seen the film more than once.

I was going to watch STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS on Monday. Then, I got to the box office and did some math. My ticket would be much higher than if I saw the film during the week. I will catch the film during the week since I have time on my hands except for Friday when I see the oncologists.

Weekend Update
I decided to grow a moustache while I was on the quarter break. It is about a week old now and it is taking shape. I didn’t get any comments from Molly the Stylist about the moustache when I went for my hair cutting. Had I saw Natalie the Receptionist, I am fairly confident that Natalie would have tossed one or more comments about the moustache and its appearance.

Maybe Molly was just being nice to the new client.

I went out to look at high definition wide screen televisions. I will probably buy one this month. My current television is only 21 inches wide; the televisions I looked at were in the 40 to 50 inch range. Doug wants me to buy a Blu-Ray DVD player and get a home theater sound system as well. I can see getting the Blu-Ray.

I have my doubts about the home theater sound system. I lost part of my hearing when I served in the United States Navy. I am unable to hear the high end of the audible spectrum. I don’t think that I need to pay for something I can’t use.

Doug will disagree with me regardless of my logic.

Visitors
We had a good week for visitors again. We had 624 visitors to the blog this week. This will be the best month ever for the blog in terms of visitors. The final results for the month will be out sometime this week.

We had 2,850 visitors to the blog during August. This was our best traffic count; it beat the next best month, July 2008, by 900 visitors. Wowie. That was a major improvement.

This week, we swung back to the foreign visitor dominance. 54% of the visitors came from overseas. The largest sources of foreign visitors were Canada and Singapore.

I do appreciate all of you who took time from your lives to visit the blog.


This was my weekend. It was a god one for me and I hope it was good for you.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home