Sunday, August 24, 2008

Weekend Update - August 24th

Important Programming Notice
This is a modestly significantly notice for you gentle readers.

Today begins my two week quarter break from teaching. This is a time when I take a break from blogging and posting. I need time to relax and reflect on life.

I live at the beach so I may take some walks along the beach and encourage the young women who may be playing beach volleyball. Misty May-Trainor and Kerri Walsh are not going to be playing beach volleyball and winning gold medals forever. We need to develop our future Olympians.

Then, there is the always present cinema. I need to go see THE CLONE WARS and TROPIC THUNDER. Maybe there is another film to add to my very short list; I will ask Doug what he thinks when I see him on Wednesday.

I plan to have my haircut while I am out of break. I will be seeing the recommended stylist for the first time so the results ought to be interesting.

I have a couple of lunches to go to; two this coming week. My friend Sharon is supposed to call me soon so she can take me out to lunch or dinner. I am not counting on her call very much. Of course, there will be the usual Dinner with Merit on Tuesday.

My acquaintance from school will be opening her frozen yogurt and ice cream store. Obviously, I will be there to support her efforts and wish her a lot of luck. I may also sample the ice cream; she said that she would have chocolate ice cream

I am teaching two new courses this coming term. That means I have two sets of lecture notes and exercises to prepare.

As you can read, I do have some activities planned for the time away from the classroom.

Keller Graduate School of Management
I received my MBA from Keller several years ago. Keller had a program where alumni could take post degree courses at a steep discount. The courses were on your transcript but they could not count towards another course of study and degree at Keller.

That was fine with me; I already had three master’s degrees with my MBA so one more master’s degree was not really necessary. I did like the idea of having the courses on the transcript. I really used the program and probably took fifteen or twenty courses. Some would say that I abused the program.

Maybe I did abuse the system.

Anyway and moving forward.

My teaching schedule and the course offerings from Keller coincided for their September term and there was a class that I was interested in. I went to the Long Beach facility to register for an International Business course on Saturday morning. That’s when I found out the program had changed. The discount now was only 15% of off the regular tuition rate. I lost all interest in the course and rediscovered how nice it can be to sleep in on a Saturday morning.

I thanked the young clerk who was helping me and drove home. I went by the Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and picked up an ice blended.

No sense letting the trip become a complete lost; the ice blended helped make the afternoon better.

Me and the Cancer

I went to the hospital for my scheduled appointment. This was the appointment where the oncologists would lay out the long term treatment plans for me. The oncologists and the surgeons would also have made a decision about the lesions on my liver after their Tumor Board meeting.

That was the plan.

The plan did not develop as nicely as Dr. Dhouri had thought it would. The surgeons did not have time to review my case so the Board meeting will take place this coming week and I will go back for the results on September 5th.

Less likelihood of plan failures.

Maybe I can work this example into my project management course for the coming term.

Dr. Dhouri looked much different on Friday than she had the week before. Last Friday, she wore non-medical clothes; a blouse, skirt, and low heeled shoes. Dr. Dhouri wore a grey tee shirt, one of those ill-fitting hospital pants, and running shoes. She wore a knee length laboratory coat on both occasions.

The Dentist
I visited my dentist on Saturday afternoon. It was my six month checkup, cleaning, and scraping session. The short story is my teeth are all there and are in good shape. I need to brush and floss more frequently; I knew that.

Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
I went to the Bean, as Doug calls the store, when I took a break from reading and grading papers. I’ll talk more about the grading later on this week. I decided I needed an ice blended to help me get through the task.

I order a half mocha and half white chocolate ice blended with whipped cream and caramel sauce in the cup. I learned that the drink, as ordered, comes with chocolate sauce. I have been over charged, for the caramel, and short changed, for no chocolate sauce, for months now.
I was not a very happy person.

The take away from all of this has been a recognition that the staff is poorly trained and lead; I knew that. Knowing this still did not make me feel any better.


I hope you all had a great weekend.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home