Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Me and the Cancer

Me and the Cancer
I was reading an Associated Press story yesterday on how senior often receive poor operative colon cancer care. The article reported on a study that seemed to indicate the senior’s doctors were not following the recommended treatment schedule of two visits annually, two blood tests, and a colonoscopy within the first year following the surgery.

After reading the article, I felt much better.

I will be seeing the oncologist every three and getting a blood test every three weeks for the next two years. I’ve already had the colonoscopy. This visitation program will work out well for me since colon cancer normally reoccurs in the first few years following the surgery.

The fact that I will get to see the nurse who like to hug is only an incidental benefit for me. Seeing me maybe a bigger benefit for them for me; it is possible, you know.

Microsoft XP
I got an email from Amazon.com yesterday. Amazon said they were still selling Windows XP and that Microsoft would continue to support XP through 2014. 2014 would take me to the next version of Windows which will replace the dreaded Vista product.

I purchased a Vista machine in early 2008 because my old laptop’s hard drive crashed badly. Died is a much better description for what happened to the old laptop. Had I know that XP would have support until 2014; I would have looked harder for an XP machine.

The Amazon email got me to thinking. Why not replace Vista with XP in the new laptop? The new laptop ought to make life great for me since all of the programs I am currently using will run on XP. XP will have 3 GB of RAM to work with and a duo core processor.

Sweet.

I was talking to Doug about other things when this subject came up. Doug suggested that I take the laptop to the Apple Store and buy a Mac laptop and have everything transferred from the laptop to the new Mac. That was not what I wanted to hear. Doug did later suggest that I think about going to Best Buy and having their Geek Squad do all of the work.

Good solution son.

I got to school early to make copies for class yesterday. I ran into the employee who manages the campus network. I asked him if it was difficult to swap out the Vista for XP. He said it could be done but it would depend on the availability of XP program drivers from my laptop manufacturer since the laptop came with Vista installed at the factory. The network manager suggested that I bring my laptop into school and let him check about driver availability.

Something to think about and possibly do.

My Moustache
Monday was the first day of school. It was also the first day of my moustache being out in public.

Generally, I received favorable to very favorable comments. Some students didn’t recognize me with the moustache. More than one young female student thought I looked cute or handsome with the moustache.

Based on the early poll results, I think I will keep the moustache for a while longer. I think the big tests are yet to come; what will Molly the Stylist say, how will the Princess react, and what will the oncologist and the nurses say about it.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home