Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I got busy

I got busy
I was going to post all of this yesterday but I got busy. I book that I had ordered from Amazon.com arrived yesterday and I got totally absorbed into it. I finished it off today. It was a paperback book with only 235 pages long. The novel read very fast.

Utah Football
Our Utes, that would be the Princess and me, won on the road in Las Vegas on Saturday, beating UNLV 35 to 15. On Sunday, our Utes moved up in the polls and were placed at Number 19 in the BCS poll.

Perfectomundo.

The story is by Lya Wodraska of the Salt Lake Tribune on October 18, 2009.

Las Vegas. Revenge, payback, retribution. None of those words were spoken publicly by any Utah players this week as they prepared to play UNLV.

But the embarrassment that the Rebels handed the Utes here two years ago sure seemed to be in the minds of the Utes on Saturday as they routed the Rebels 35-15 in front of 26,315 in Sam Boyd Stadium.

The win nor the margin of victory was much of a surprise coming against the Rebels (2-5, 0-3, who have to rank as one of the worst teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Nevertheless, the victory was a particularly satisfying one for the No. 24 Utes (5-1, 2-0) not so much for the way they played but for avenging the 27-0 loss they suffered here two years ago.

That year, Utah's defense gave up 340 yards to the Rebels and were mocked in the days following the result by UNLV coach Mike Sanford for being afraid to tackle running back Frank Summers, who rushed for 190 yards.

The Utes handled Summers better last season, holding him to 87 yards on 23 carries in their 42-21 win, but the revenge just didn't seem quite complete until the Utes beat the Rebels on their own field Saturday.

Fitting that the Utes' defense led the way with the offense struggling most of the night.

"It was a win, which was much better than the last time we were down here as far as the result," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said. "But it was not a clean game. We didn't play very disciplined at times, very smart at times but we did enough to come away with a victory."

Safety Robert Johnson, who had three interceptions a week ago against Colorado State, came up big for the Utes again Saturday. He returned an interception 31 yards in the second quarter to set up one scoring drive, then on the next UNLV possession he returned a fumble by teammate Christian Cox 70 yards to give the Utes a 28-6 lead with less than two minutes to play in the first half.

Cox picked off UNLV quarterback Omar Clayton then fumbled the ball into Johnson's hands as he turned to avoid a hit.

"I was going down field to make a block and the ball just popped into my hands," Johnson said. "I did what I could do."

Johnson's dramatic plays gave the Utes some spice the offense couldn't provide. The Utes finished with just 327 yards against the Rebels, who have been yielding 476 yards to their opponents.

The Utes had only 166 yards through the first three quarters, then added another 161 in the fourth quarter when the running game finally got going.

Running back Eddie Wide finished with 111 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries for his third straight 100-yard plus game.

He scored the Utes' only touchdown in the second half when he broke a tackle and scored on a 37-yard touchdown run in the opening minutes of the final quarter.

Quarterback Terrance Cain finished 17-of-24 for 174 yards and two touchdowns and rushed eight times for 22 yards and a touchdown.

The Utes did show some variety offensively, with quarterback Cain throwing a 6-yard touchdown pass to tight end Ben Hendy for the only the second completion to a tight end this season.

"We work on that play call every week," Cain said. "It just happened to come up and he made the play for us."

Utah also debuted receiver Luke Matthews in the ever-evolving "Asiata package" with receiver Shaky Smithson sidelined with an ankle injury.

But for all the new looks, the Utes had familiar woes of struggling to put together drives.

"It was a weird game offensively," Whittingham said. "We weren't in synch. We never got into a rhythm."

In addition, the Utes had five fumbles, losing two, and were penalized 10 times for 110 yards.

Clayton finished 23-of-44 for 223 yards and showed the Utes remain vulnerable against the deep ball.

While beating the Rebels gave the Utes another conference win and put more distance between themselves and the bad memory of 2007, Saturday's performance still revealed the Utes have plenty of areas in which they must improve, particularly with their toughest games ahead of them.

"We are playing aggressive, but we have to be smart," Whittingham said.
lwodraska@sltrib.com


My high school football
I have been following my old high school football’s season so far by noting the scores in the Los Angeles Times. It looks like my school lost its first game of the season on Saturday. I played a year on the varsity team until I had a seasons ending knee injury and my brother played on the varsity team for two years. I think their record is now 4 and 1.

Sweet.

Visitors and
We had another slow week last week for visitors. We had 138 visitors who viewed 198 unique pages. I sometimes look at who or where the visitors to the blog come from. It is curiosity more than anything else.

a Memory from my Past
Last week, I had a visitor from Greenbrae, California. For those of you who may not know Greenbrae or even where it is, Greenbrae is a small community in Marin County. It is on the north side of San Francisco Bay. I have no idea who the visitor was and I doubt that I could find out since the visitor records only show the most recent 100 visitors.

My Greenbrae visitor reminded me of Julie Ann Jeremy. She was a year behind me at Utah and a member of a sorority that was cross the street from my fraternity house. We got to know each other fairly well; I’m not sure why since we weren’t all that compatible.

Anyway and more to the point, we had agreed to go out over Christmas Vacation, that’s what it was called in 1966. I drove Julie to the airport to fly home for the break and then I followed her by car a couple of days later.

Julie’s mother answered the door. She knew I was coming and told me that Julie couldn’t go out because she was contagious with mumps. That seemed to be a stretch since Julie was fine when I drove to the airport in Salt Lake City.

Just as I was about to leave, Julie came to the top of the stairs in her flannel nightgown and fuzzy slippers. Her cheeks were swollen like a chipmunk with a mouthful of nuts. All she could say was, “I’m so sorry.”

I said, “That’s OK; we can talk back at school.”

Then, I went back to the hotel where I was staying and had a quiet dinner alone. I drove home the next day and managed to get pulled over four times, the first one just after I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, by the California Highway Patrol. I had a burned out fuse that was causing by backup lights to go on. I got that fixed the next day.

In January when Julie and I caught up with each other, we talked about our non-date. Julie felt particularly sad because I drove 400 or 500 miles out of my way to see her. Gasoline was only USD$0.30 a gallon then.

I knew that I would not be around for too much longer, just over five months or so. I had my orders to active duty in the Navy. I also knew that my ship, the Leonard F. Mason, was going to be gone as in far, far overseas for most of the next three years. This was hardly the best foundation to build any sort of relationship. I viewed Julie as a friend I guess, recognizing what lay ahead for me.

But, Julie wanted to have a make-up date.

I suggested that she wait until July when my Midshipman Cruise would be in San Francisco. Julie would have a car and she could show me around the city. Julie thought that was one of my best ideas ever.

Julie always looked stunning except maybe for the mumps time. She was stunning when she picked me at the ship; several of the other midshipmen asked me for her name and phone number. One of the officers that I stood watch with on the good ship Perkins asked me as well. The Perkins was scheduled for a long overhaul in San Francisco a few months after the cruise ended.

The only place that I can remember Julie taking me to was a bar in Greenbrae that featured turtle races. The turtles were the small ones you find in pet stores and each had a number painted on its back. The turtles raced, if you care to describe their movement in that manner, across a track. The first one to reach the finish line was the winner. Race fans had lots of opportunities to drink during the race.

The next day, the good ship Perkins along with the other ships in the cruise sailed from San Francisco and pointed their bows towards their home ports. We were bound for San Diego.

And so gentle readers, Julie Ann Jeremy sailed out of my life just as I sailed out of her life; Greenbrae and San Francisco and the turtle races was the last time we were together.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home