Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas

Christmas
Christmas came early for me this year.

This year, the Princess flew down to Southern California from Seattle for an early and brief stay with the family. She flew in on the 19th and was headed home on the 23rd. Her husband, the Golfer, stayed in Seattle with the cats and dogs and the golfers who needed advise and help on what club to buy for the perfect gift.

The Princess and I had two opportunities for father daughter talks, when I picked her up and the airport and when I drove to the airport. Dads must grab what chances they have. You can learn a lot if you ask the right questions.

I did.

I learned that the Princess is in charge of scheduling all of the audit, tax and consulting staff for all three Washington state offices of her firm. I thought she was only in charge of the scheduling for her own office. She seems to enjoy the challenge and the power that comes with the job. The Princess said, “that sometimes she enjoys saying no to a request.”

Perhaps enjoys is too much of an adjective here.

I also learned that she likes the extra pay that comes from working in the private, for-profit sector. She also said that she doesn’t miss sitting around a cold office on New Year’s Eve and eating cold pizza or reheated pizza slices while processing last minute gifts when she worked at charities.

I also learned that both she and her mother strongly disapprove of my idea to grow another moustache. They both said no in unison. Right now, the vote is running against the moustache. Molly the Stylist is the only one who is strongly in favor of the moustache but only until Spring. The Princess and her mother did like my longer hair style that Molly thought would look good on me.

We celebrated Christmas at Doug’s and his mother’s home. It is larger than my small flat. My contribution to Christmas Dinner was the homemade stuffing and carving the turkey. I thought I did a very good job of carving; everyone liked my stuffing. The Princess said it tasted better than the kind that comes with a store cooked turkey.

While we were having dinner, Doug brought up the subject of where he wanted to go for the traditional Douguary Dinner. Doug and I have traditionally gone to Morton’s the Steakhouse or the new Wolfgang’s Steakhouse. It was unusual for Doug to be thinking so far in advance; we usually end up having the Douguary Dinner on the last Saturday in Douguary.

Doug said that he got the idea of a new venue from his girl friend. He mentioned the name but it was noisy at dinner as most family dinners are so I don’t remember it. One thing that he said was that I had to wear one of my plaid flannel shirts. I can do that; it will be easier to get ready, no tie to wear. Doug said the restaurant is on the smaller side and serves large portions of food. I can work with that.

Doug’s girl friend made a wonderful chocolate cake that I only later wished that I had taken a slice or two home with me. I mentioned that to Doug when I spoke to him yesterday. He said there was still a good portion of the cake left. I noticed that he made no mention of stopping by my flat to drop off some cake on his way to his girl friend’s home for Christmas with her.

I would have walked out to the curb to pick up the cake so he wouldn’t have lost too much time dropping the cake off with me.

I did receive some very thoughtful and well considered gifts from my family. I also have my health and I am very thankful for it.

My Brother called me during the week to wish me a Merry Christmas. We talked about the family. He said that his son and his girl friend went to Paris for a week and that his son took over 2,000 photos while they were there. That’s a lot of images. It would also seem to point to a wedding in 2010 for my nephew and his girl friend.

All things considered, I had a very, very nice Christmas.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home