Monday, January 18, 2010

My hands seem to be better

My hands seem to be better
I was looking at my hands this morning while I waited for the toaster to brown the muffins inside of it. Based on a quick once over, non-professional look, they seem to be better.

Of course, Natalie would be able to tell me more accurately; she is studying to become an esthetician. Natalie told me that an esthetician works with a person on the condition of their skin and how to improve it.

She could probably do a term paper on my hands.

The current widely recommended H1N1 influenza treatment plan of washing your hands regularly in hot, soapy water plays havoc with my skin. The washing seems to accentuate the drying and cracking processes.

By my count, I have been off of Xeloda now for three weeks.

Excellent.

I still have my symptoms of peripheral neuropathy in my toes and heels. It feels like I am walking with pads on my toes and heels. The feeling seems to be going away. The peripheral neuropathy began two years ago when I was taking a combination of Xeloda and Oxaliplatin for my cancer drug therapy.

I did my full tour of duty, eight cycles, with the Oxaliplatin and I can truly say that I do not miss the drug. I am extremely happy that I was able to endure the treatment because it helped kill off the cancer cells. One of its most pronounced side affects is an extreme sensitivity to cold; obviously taking it in even what passes for Winter in Southern California was no fun for me. I looked silly driving the Prelude in April with heavy fur lined leather gloves.

Getting ready for the hospital
I spent part of the weekend putting things in order for the hospital stay. I finished up most of my lesson plans and I only have one set of lecture notes to prepare. Then, I need to photocopy the material and put everything in envelops for the substitutes.

I have resisted the temptation to read one of my new books. I started to read Lords of the Sea before I knew that I was scheduled for surgery.

Planning ahead, I ordered the candy for St. Valentine’s Day. I expect that it will be delivered before February 14th but I do not believe anyone will be terrible upset about an early delivery.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home