Sunday, January 10, 2010

No More Xeloda

No More Xeloda
I saw Doctor Karen on Friday for our regular, once every three weeks, visit. She asked about my Christmas and the holidays. I said that I received my best and last Christmas gift this past Monday.

Dr. Karen had a surprised look on her face since this was not what she had expected for an answer.

I told her the colorectal surgeons had scheduled me for a colon reconnection at the end of the month.

Apparently Dr. Karen did not know about the procedure scheduling.

“Oh, that’s so wonderful.” Dr. Karen was smiling broadly and very happy. The surgery marks a very significant and positive milestone in my battle with cancer.

The balance of the visit was mostly fun for me. I kidded her about making a house call to visit me for the next regularly scheduled which would be the day after the surgery. I said she could drop by anytime it was convenient for her; I wasn’t going to be going anywhere and I had no other plans for that day.

Dr. Karen giggled.

We also talked, very briefly, about the Poinsettia Bowl. Dr. Karen’s University of California Bears lost to my Utes.

I did manage to be serious during the visit. I asked her what medicine she planned to put me on now. Dr. Karen said that we would talk about that when I had my next in clinic visit with her on February 19th. She had not had time to consider what drug to put me on.

But, Dr. Karen did say the magic words for me, “No more Xeloda.” This was the first time that I have not had to persuade Dr. Karen to not give me a prescription for the drug. I was so happy when I left the clinic on Friday.

I did stop and speak briefly with Nurses Wendy and Vhrunda. Wendy was not a happy nurse because she had missed out on the candy that I dropped off at my December visit; Wendy had been on vacation. Vhrunda just sat at her terminal smiling like a Cheshire cat when Wendy said that she didn’t get any candy. I’m guessing that Vhrunda was not as generous or in the sharing mood when it came to really good chocolate.

I reminded Wendy that St. Valentine’s Day was coming and that I knew there wasn’t any type of chocolate that she and Vhrunda did not like. They both giggled. Wendy gave me a big hug and thanked me for remembering her.

Molly the Stylist and Me
On Wednesday, I had my hair cut. I was about two weeks late in getting it cut. I decided to wait until after the holidays because I knew Molly would be busy with her female clients and parties. I was on break from school and my family doesn’t get very excited about longish hair.

The Princess and the ex-wife both liked my longer hair but did not like the idea of a moustache at all. The both said no to the idea; my ex-wife called in a “lip wrap.” Molly understood that she had been outvoted on the idea of growing another moustache.

We talked about our holidays. Molly had a very successful holiday dinner for her extended family. I was happy for Molly.

Then our conversation drifted on to what type of candy would she and Natalie and Rachel enjoy for St. Valentine’s Day. This caught her without a quick answer. One reason why I like and enjoy having Molly cut my hair is that she is a truly great conversationalist.

I said that, “there isn’t any type of chocolate that you don’t like Molly.”

Molly giggled and said, “Oh Charles.”

I said that I would select a perfect chocolate gift, one that had been previously tested and approved by the Princess.

It would have to be delivered by mail since the next appointment would logically fall on the day I will be discharged from the hospital following the surgery. Having my hair cut was not that high up on my plans.

I will see Molly again in March when I am going to be more ambulatory and energetic.

When I got home from Molly’s salon, I trolled across my favorites list of chocolate vendors’ web sites. Naturally, they all had appropriate gifts. After conferring with my chocolate advisor, the Princess, I selected what should work well for all and result in a short or brief silence at either the Oncology Clinic or Molly’s salon. Eating rich chocolate and talking is difficult because someone might pick the piece you wanted while you were busy talking.

Other Drama in My Life
I somehow managed to pick up a rather nasty sinus cold this past week. Since my immune system has been somewhat compromised by my chemotherapy, it has taken longer to overcome. It should be gone by Monday with any luck.

I spent part of the week finding substitutes for my classes since I will be out from three to four class sessions. All of the instructors I approached were willing to fill in for me; they get to pick up an extra USD$120 for each session.

Visitors
We had a total of 653 visitors during December, a good turnout for the blog. Last week, we had 139 visitors who viewed 188 unique pages. The blog is the second most visited page after January 1, 2007. The blog had a total of 19,253 visitors during 2009.

I do appreciate all of you who stopped by and spent some time at the blog.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home