Sunday, May 23, 2010

It feels like fall

It feels like Fall
I was out this morning running some errands. It was a really, really nice morning; the sky was clear and a bright blue. It was windy as well. The national flag was standing out straight in the breeze and some of the larger flagpoles were bending under the pressure of the wind.

Perfectomundo.

The wind was on the nasty side last night when I drove out to Morton’s. It was strongest when you came closer to the coast, especially the West facing beaches.

I was also out walking along the beach as part of my exercise today. The wind chill affect made it feel much colder than it was; that kept a lot of people off of the sand. It also adversely affected the beach volleyball matches. I think they were postponed because of wind.

Oh well, there is always tomorrow for exercising.

Chuckay Dinner
Last night was the traditional Chuckay Diner at Morton’s The Steakhouse. Our dinner was perfect.

I did something last night that I have never done in the thirteen or fourteen years that Doug and I have been going to Morton’s. I did not have any beef for dinner. In fact, I had appetizers and a salad for my dinner. I think this was a wise decision because I slept very well last night and I did not feel loggy when I woke up today.

I had been thinking about ordering a small roast prime rib of beef and a small lobster tail for dinner. That seemed to mentally fill my mind and stomach. We all talked about what we were going to have. I mentioned my prime rib idea. Doug and his girl friend both picked up on my idea.

After all, great minds think alike.

Unfortunately for us, Morton’s had run out of prime rib before we placed our order. Morton’s only cooks a small amount of prime rib each night.

I ended up ordering some smoked salmon, a chopped salad with oil and vinegar dressing, and broiled scallops wrapped in bacon with an apricot chutney sauce. I also saved room for the Morton’s Chocolate Cake.

Doug and his girl friend both ordered New York strip steaks and sides of grilled asparagus with a balsamic glaze and sautéed mushrooms and spinach. Overall, I thought our table’s order was very eclectic.

Doug said his girl friend, the Mademoiselle, is going to France to teach English in an elementary school. The Mademoiselle will leave at the end of Summer and will be gone for six to nine months. She is a French major at California State University Fullerton.

I think her first classroom session will be interesting for her students. She is an Asian American and I don’t think the French students will be expecting like a teacher her in their classroom.

We talked about her new career. The Mademoiselle likes to cook and is a very good one now. I pointed out that she will have time to pick up on French cooking while she is in France. She smiled and said that she was planning to do that. Doug said she could concentrate on pastries and cakes. She does make wonderful pastries

The Mademoiselle liked my tentative car choice of a Mini Cooper. Doug thought it would good in red with a white roof.

I told Doug that I was going to shave off my moustache.


He said, “Good and not too soon either.” I guess that he was not fond of it.


Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home