Sunday, May 22, 2005

Weekend Update

Hello gentle readers.

It is Sunday evening here in Southern California and time for the Weekend Update. First, the weather, it was sunny and warm all weekend long [75F/24C] with a steady breeze. Perfect weather for smoking a cigar and reading on the balcony.

I wore one of my new shirts to work on Friday. The company has a business casual dress policy on Fridays. Most of the female staffers thought I looked fine. I felt that I made a great choice with the design selection.

It was time for service on the Honda Prelude. The car has about 320,000 miles/515,000 kilometers on the gauge. I was pleased that there was nothing out of order that needed fixing beyond the usual and planned repairs. I did have to replace the disk brake pads but they wear out so it was better to replace them when I was at the dealership than to have to make a second trip just for that.

I waited for the Prelude to be repaired since I had no one to pick me up and then bring me back when the car was finished. I used my time productively and read. I read the local newspaper, two magazines, and around 100 pages in a book. I did a lot of reading for three hours.

I did call The Princess since it had been a while since I spoke with her. She was fine when I caught up with her. We talked about some plans I had thought about for when she is California in July on vacation. She thought my idea was a good one.

Of course, she could have been humoring dear old Dad and trying to make him feel good.

Speaking of feeling good, I was feeling good when I was reading a newspaper article on a big car race. It seems that more of the cars in the Indianapolis 500 Race will be powered by Honda than any other manufacturer. In fact, there are only three engine manufacturers; the other two are Toyota and Chevrolet. It looks it will be a Japanese engine manufacturer again this year in the winner's circle.

Honda did a wonderful job building the engine for my Prelude and that is one reason why I enjoy driving the car so much. It is fun to drive and it gets great gas mileage.

Saturday, I took the Girl Friend to the theater and she took me out to dinner for my birthday. Her choice of restaurants was not well thought out. It has a very well deserved reputation for being slow. We were seated early for our reservation and yet we barely finished our dinner in two hours. Our server was working with an evil attitude and being pleasant was a major struggle for her.

Then, the Girl Friend almost got us lost on our way to the theater. Fortunately, I had a better sense of direction and was able to make a nifty mid-course correction and arrive at the theater in plenty of time.

The Big Guy doesn't call me The Navigator for nothing.

The play was "My Fair Lady" and I thought the cast did a very good job. The Girl Friend thought the actress who played Eliza Doolittle was not the most attractive one of the stage. I thought that was an out of place comment since the Girl Friend never played the lead in any play she was in as far as I know. The Girl Friend compared this actress to Audrey Hepburn. Hepburn was probably more attractive in her prime but then this actress sung all of the songs herself and that counts with me.

Anyway, the play is over and that is that.

I was going to see Episode III today at my local multi-plex with its 22 screens and 6 showing Episode III. None of the 6 screens were digital and that was a major disappointment for me. The Big Guy said digital was the only way to see the film and, since he is a Film Studies major at university, I tend to agree with him.

I will go see the film over the upcoming Memorial Holiday weekend. There is a digital screen near his home and then we can go grab some tasty comfort food afterwards.

And so, gentle readers, that was my weekend. I do hope you also had a pleasant and warm weekend wherever you are.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home