Sunday, July 24, 2005

Weekend Update

So much to write about and so little to say that is significant; a perfect Weekend Update blog posting.

My plans for the weekend changed on late on Friday morning when an old co-worker called to tell me my former assistant’s son had passed away and the funeral was on Saturday morning. I had to go to the funeral because it was the right thing to do.

Period.

That meant I had to forego the cinema on Saturday since the service was at 11:00 AM. I would not be able to attend the service, go home to change, catch a film and then go to class that started at 4:00 PM.

The Big Guy called just after the funeral call. He was in a panic of sorts of seeing what appeared to be a loose wire inside of his new Apple G5 computer. We talked about the wire and how to approach it. In the end, he called India for Apple tech support. The wire is supposed to be there; it is part of the G5’s wireless function. That was a nice closure to the process.

I went to the funeral on Saturday. It was a very good service. It had a large attendance; that was a tribute to him and his family. I did not have a chance to meet the deceased. I knew of him from my assistant’s talks about his service in the Navy.

I felt good attending the service for a shipmate, all sailors are shipmates. We both faced the uncertain perils of the sea.

The service was conducted in a chapel that lies in the flight path to Los Angeles International Airport. The doors and windows were closed to shut out the noise of the aircraft. While this allowed us to participate in the service, it created an uncomfortable condition. The temperature inside the un-air conditioned chapel must have been over 100F/37C. It felt good and somewhat cooler to step outside afterwards in the bright sun.

Our weather in Los Angeles recently has been affected by the remnants of Hurricane Emily. It is always warm to hot this time of the year. Los Angeles is, after all, on the edge of a dessert. The moisture from the storm was drawn into the area and this boosted the humidity to completely abnormal levels.

Normally, I don’t drive with my air conditioning on in the car on the weekends when I am alone. I just roll the windows down and let the air cool me off. Saturday, on the drive to school, I had to put it on. It felt like I was in the tropics again when I got to school.

The class looks like it will help me with my dissertation. I picked up some new insights and this should help me write a better dissertation. I did know a couple of the students in the class which was even better for me.

After class, I drove out to the Big Guy’s house so we could have dinner at Albertacos. As he says, there are no bad times for Albertacos. We both had our usual dinners there, a Number 8, medium drink and an extra soft carne asada taco. A Number 8 is a big scoop of rice and refried beans, covered by cheese with two soft carne asada tacos. I had a large helping of pico de gallo to the rice and beans.

We were there at just the right time. We beat the crowds so we had the pick of the tables and did not have to wait long for the food. Our meal was made less enjoyable by a family that let their baby cry his head off for about five minutes before the mother came to a leap of faith conclusion that maybe she should take little Mr. Messy outside so the rest of the adults could enjoy their meals.

I could see several of the young people observing the whole noisy affair. I could almost hear some of the men say mentally that I won’t be having any children. One of the young women looked disturbed by the scene.

I told the Big Guy that he was never like little Mr. Messy when he was an infant.

While we were tossing down our carne asadas, we talked about the idea of a Bento Productions dinner. We had brought it up before. The Big Guy said he had cooled to the idea and was no longer excited about it. That was just fine with me.

I suggested that he and I have an August dinner at Morton’s and request Amy as our server. He was more than ready for that. I asked if he want to invite Evelyn since she is always fun to be around plus she likes going to Morton’s. This seemed like a really good idea since Evelyn drove him around for years before he got his driver’s license.

The Big Guy went to see THE ISLAND on Friday, largely because it stars Scarlet Johansen or Scarlet J as he calls her. He said he really enjoyed the film on several levels and said it was the best film he has seen all year. I will try to catch it in the next few weeks. I am certain he will toss up a lengthy post about the film on his blog site [http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com] in the next day or so.

[Note to self: learn how to post hot links or have the Big Guy join the Balancing Checkbooks team.]

I got home from dinner in time to see the end of the Saturday episode of the Immortal Yi Soon Shin. The Japanese army did achieve a momentary tactical advantage as the Korean fleet sailed through the narrow strait. The Japanese were unable to translate the tactical advantage into a victory. The Battle of Pusan was a complete and total victory by any measure for Yi Soon Shin.

The Japanese lost 100 warships, assuming a crew of 150 sailors and soldiers to each ship. Casualties for the Japanese ended up in the thousands, probably close to 15,000 lost since most did not swim or would be unable to swim, weighted down with uniforms, weapons, armor, and supplies. The Koreans lost no ships and only had 31 casualties.

This loss does not include the sharp blow to Japanese morale. It also presents another and more serious problem for the Japanese. They no longer have control of the seas. This will make re-supplying their forces in Korea harder. Being isolated with your back to the sea is an uncomfortable position for an army to be in, especially when it is in hostile territory.

The victory should remove any clouds from Yi’s head now. A great victory always is good for one’s career and standing with the King.

Errata

On a side note, I read in my online news service that the last survivor of the Chosun Dynasty died this week in Japan. Yi Ku was the grandson of the last Korean emperor. The Chosun Dynasty ruled, in varying degrees of effectiveness from 1392 to 1905 when Japan annexed the kingdom.

My Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence program has conducted over 900 search analysis. No, I have not found anything other than space noise and static. Still, I will keep going with the program.

When I was coming home from school, I saw an older 1970s era Volkswagen Beetle. It was painted orange and that paint had faded badly. It had a Porsche style whale’s tale spoiler on the back engine cover. The only way the VW could get going fast enough to make effective use of the spoiler was if it fell off of a very tall cliff.

I wonder what the owner was thinking when he or she put that spoiler on the Beetle.

I had planned to go to the cinema today and catch THE DEVIL’S REJECTS. The only cinema had the first showing at 2:00 PM. That seemed on the late side and would take up too much space in the middle of the day. The other film screenings that I might have seen as an early show did not match up with the REJECTS schedule. Instead, I decided to stay home and read out of the balcony in the sun and smoke a cigar.

The reading and smoking decision was a wise one for me.

And that, gentle readers, was my weekend. I hope that your weekend went well for you.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home