Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Catch Up Day

Hello gentle readers. Today is a catch up day and not a ketchup day. I missed yesterday because I went out to dinner with the Younger Brother. When I got home, I was tired and went to bed.

The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin
Sunday was an overly long episode that featured Yi’s torture. I think it was overdone and could have been made shorter without losing any affect or impact. The end result of the torture is his life will be much shorter and he was replaced by men who are much less competent.

Who will the King blame next when the replacements don’t win the war? He couldn’t blame himself because that would be much too honest. I suppose he will blame the leaders that die in battle since they can not defend themselves.

I am guessing that next week’s episodes will have the navy entering battle with the Japanese. Most of the navy officer corps have no confidence in the new admiral and were on the verge of mutiny last weekend. Already, most of the skilled and senior officers have resigned their commissions. Of course, the Japanese morale has soared and the Korean morale has sunken to new depths. Not the best of conditions when you are facing a major battle.

The new Korean admiral needs to make a brilliant motivational speech if he is to rally the sailors and officers. I’m thinking something along the lines of Henry V just before Agincourt, sort of a nautical version of the “band of brothers” speech. Unfortunately, the new admiral is not a motivational speaker of any standing.

Cinema
I did go see THE BROTHERS GRIMM this weekend instead of THE CONSTANT GARDENER. GRIMM was interesting and I enjoyed the CGI work. Surprisingly, there was a large adult audience for a Saturday matinee. The film had an interesting plot twist to it so that helped make the film more interesting.

The Big Guy said it had sat on the shelf for two years before its hurried release this Summer. He is one of those cinema lovers who believe it is a very bad sign when a film sits on the shelf. I suppose he is right. The film could still have been gathering dust on the shelf had it not been for the breakup of the Disney – Weinstein film business.

While I enjoyed it, I don’t think you should rush out to see it. If you do feel compelled to toss your hard earned down at the multiplex ticket booth, go catch the bargain matinee. Save your money for something worthwhile like BROKEN FLOWERS instead.

Non-Deconstruction Day
Today was Day 32 and Day 7 in the building next door and the floor hallway construction projects. I did not see the security agent’s car when I left work tonight. I wonder if that is significant.

Steak and Lobster Dinners
The Big Guy and I were talking about my dinner with the Younger Brother yesterday. I told the Big Guy we were going to a seafood place near my house. I said he might like it since the restaurant does serve steak and probably lobster as well.

The Big Guy said his idea of steak and lobster is, “asking for the biggest lobster and the smallest steak.” I could almost see him smiling as he said that.

Dinner with the Younger Brother
Dinner was good last night.

We had a window table that faced west. It was almost like being in San Francisco except for the fact there were no bridges or islands in the middle of the bay to look at. Since we were in Southern California, there was no fog either. We watched a brilliant sunset.

That was not a bad venue for a meal.

I had a really wonderful salmon chowder that was made in a lobster bisque stock, a shrimp and avocado salad, baked salmon in a tomato fennel sauce, and an incredibly rich and excessive piece of chocolate cake for dessert.

The shrimp and avocado salad was a big spoonful of shrimp and guacamole served on a lettuce leaf with two tomato slices. It came with two toasted slice of French bread. I put the shrimp and avocado mixture on the bread and ate my salad that way. Tasty.

The salmon was generic baked salmon. It tasted nice but it was nothing to write home about. The tomato fennel sauce was a bit too much and that detracted from the meal.

The Brother had a cup of French onion soup instead of a fish chowder. He said it was good. I’ll take his word for it. He skipped a salad.

He selected a baked halibut that was very good according to him. Since he regularly eats at fish restaurants in San Francisco, I will accept that as a strong compliment.

He ordered a new chardonnay wine last night. It was called Toasted Head. I had a glass of it as well. It was very nice and not a heavy chardonnay. I would have preferred to have had the wine served when my dinner was served and not two thirds of the way through my salmon. Our server was young and she tired her best so I guess I will not fault her.

I overindulged with a too rich piece of chocolate cake. I think I am done with desserts until October now. It was very, very good and I enjoyed every bit and so did the Brother who helped himself to several bites.

The Brother thinks I should get a new car, you know, an $80,000 Mercedes Benz. He says my Prelude rides like it has 325,000 miles on it. It does but the small vibrations act as little massages for my lower back that has been sore off and on for over 30 years. Besides, the Prelude is a comfortable car to sit in for me. I have driven it for just over 11 hours straight once with only one break for fuel. I should have mentioned that it get 25 to 26 miles to the gallon in town and more on the highway. I did mention that it was paid for and that means something.

The Brother does not have a lot of room to talk about cars. He drives an older Saturn and Saturns have no style or image expect maybe as fine cars for school teachers.

All in all, it was a wonderful way to spend two hours.

The Princess
I am guessing the Princess is happy with her new umbrella I got her. She had a chance to test it out in the rain from Hurricane Katrina as she left work last night. I am confident that she would have called me if the umbrella had let her down in any respect.

I think I could go on for another page but this looks like a nice place to stop for today. I will have some things to write about tomorrow.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home