Wednesday, September 14, 2005

MIA Chuck

Hello again gentle readers. I was not here last night to continue the multiple parts of last Weekend’s Update.

Building Evacuation
I was busy with an emergency evacuation of our office building yesterday. We were given less than thirty minutes to shut everything down and get the staff out safely. We were told about the evacuation right in the middle of the lunch hour.

Just wonderful timing.

I got involved in the evacuation process because I tend to be a leader in when things go badly. The military does teach officers to handle challenging situations in a calm and reasoned manner. The other bank officer who was helping manage the evacuation process was nervous and tense.

I tried one of those press on this spot and see how stressed you are cards that she had in her office. I filled the card with a nice, calm, dark blue spot; I was very relaxed. She was surprised at how calm I was.

We got the staffers organized with packing things up and shutting down the servers and the rest of the equipment while the other officer and I made phone calls up and down the line to let everyone know why we would not be answering the phones. Everything went very well and we were able to walk out of the office with five minutes to spare. We did not have to walk down the stairs

The staff got sent home early for the day. I took our messenger bags to another office so that they could be delivered. Then, I worked at the other office for a couple of hours before a drive home that took two hours.

We talked again after I got home about what we would do in the morning. We decided to try to go into work. I would go in early and then call her so she could let the rest of the staff what to do.

I checked the phones off and on all night long to see if power has back in the office. There was no power as far as I could tell when I left home to go see what was happening. I could see the building was dark as I drove up. There were workers outside of the building working to fix a leaking water line that had caused the evacuation.

The leaking water line had knocked out the water supply to three other buildings in addition to our building. The other buildings had power but no water. We had no water and no power because the leak almost flooded the building’s electrical distribution room. The electricity was shut off to prevent an explosion. Nice.

We talked again after contacting the building management who gave us a fuzzy estimate of when the repairs would be completed. The estimate said hopefully the building would be ready to be used around 1:00 PM.

We kept the other staffers home and had them work from home over the Internet. I went to work at another office instead of going home. I was productive in the other office and I did meet some people that I had only talked to previously. It was nice to put a face with the voices.

Around 1:00 PM, the work was finished and we returned to the office to finish out the day. The air in the office was a little on the stale side because there was no air conditioning running for most of yesterday and today. By going home time, it was starting to smell better.

Non-Deconstruction Day
We are now up to Day 42 at the building next door. Nothing happened.

The building workers replaced the emergency evacuation sign in the elevator lobby. They did their usual poor job and left a bunch of grubby finger prints on the nice, freshly painted, crème colored walls. Nice touch not.

Missing Books
I had ordered some books from Amazon.com. They were supposed to be delivered yesterday by UPS. But, with the building being closed, there were no deliveries yesterday and there were none this afternoon. I tried the UPS package tracking feature to see where the books were. The most recent listing was yesterday morning at 4:00 AM when they left the UPS office.

I wonder where the books are.

Missing Weekend Update segments
I think I will try to put out all of the missing Weekend Update segments from my trip to Minneapolis in one large blog over the weekend.

Yes, I know Yoda said that there was no to try but Master Yoda did not live at the beach at the end of Summer. That does make a big difference to me.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home