Sunday, September 11, 2005

Weekend Update - Part One

Hello gentle readers, so much happened to me that I hardly know where to begin. I suppose I could go chronologically and leave it at that. Chronologically is a simple but elegant solution.

The Friday Flights
I flew America West to the wedding in Minneapolis because I saved around $200 and that just about completely covered my hotel room. Sweet exchange there.

My flight from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on Friday morning was full. That was no surprise to me or anyone else on the flight. I had a younger [than me] Asian woman sit next to me on this flight leg. She was attractive and, from what I could see of her all important ring finger on the left hand, was single.

I had thought about starting a conversation with her and considered letting it go where it wanted. I changed my mind because she was going to Las Vegas with three girl friends and that just sounded badly. Girls’ weekend in Las Vegas seems to be a bad idea for guys.

Anyway, I changed planes in Las Vegas and only had to walk three gates from one plane to the next. That was very convenient.

The Las Vegas to Minneapolis segment was only about half full. The middle seats were empty all over the plane. My middle seat was empty. This is always nice and the cabin crew was friendlier than usual.

I was considering renting the ear phones so I could hear the movie. Then, I found out what the movie was and passed on the ear phones. I was not going to pay $5.00 to rent some poor ear phones so I could watch the Adam Sandler version of The Longest Yard.

I had also thought about buying one of America West’s boxed meals for $5.00. I decided against that because I could not see my way clear to spending that much on a small collection of salty snacks.

I figured I could hold out until dinner and dinner would be early so everything would be just fine. I started thinking about dinner and decided that a big, thick cheeseburger with fries and a cold beer would be excellent. I could put ketchup on the fries and eat healthy because of the anti-oxidant lycopene in the ketchup.

Friday Night in Minneapolis
I had to wait for the hotel shuttle to pick me up at the airport. I killed the time by talking to the flight crew from the Las Vegas to Minneapolis segment. There was one single flight attendant and she seemed promising until I learned that she was based in Phoenix and came from Texas.

That seemed to violate Reinhardt’s Third Law of Dating that says never go out with a woman who lives three area codes away.

When she lit her cigarette, it made it very easy for me to say, “Here’s my shuttle, I hope y’all have a safe flight tomorrow. Maybe I will see you when I fly back to Los Angeles on Sunday.”

As the hotel shuttle got off the freeway from the airport, I saw there was a Chipotle Mexican Grill across the street from the hotel. This sounded to me to be a good place to go for dinner. The Big Guy regularly goes to Chipotle and says it is good but it is not as good as Albertacos.

When I caught up with my Younger Brother, I suggested that we go to Chipotle for dinner. He had been thinking about burgers but changed to Mexican since it was close and we did not need directions.

One of the first things my Brother said was that he had disowned one of our cousins because he did not go to the wedding nor was he planning to go to a reception from the bride and groom in the bride’s hometown. That really bothered the Brother.

We each had the three soft tacos meal and we split and order of chips and salsa. I said that we should have a beer with the tacos and volunteered to pay for them. An excellent meal by all counts.

To our common shock and surprise, we were both carded. We both thought this was a joke but the cashier was serious. Neither one of us had been carded for over thirty years. With full heads of gray hair, we hardly look underage anymore. Still, the cashier closely looked at each one of our driver’s licenses. Since they were from California, could he tell a real one from a fake? Probably not.

We got back to the hotel and talked for a bit more. Then, we went to bed because we were tired. I was just about to crawl in bed when my cousin phoned me from the lobby and said to come on down and meet everyone.

I got introduced to everyone and promptly forgot most everyone’s names. I am not good with names, never have been actually. I was surprised to find there were a dozen or so Amish friends of my cousin who had traveled from Pennsylvania to the wedding. The Amish are very friendly but always seem to look so very serious. Maybe it is the oddly shaped beards and the dark, plain clothing that gives them the serious look. After about an hour of idle conversation, I decided it was time for me to go to bed.

And I did and I slept soundly as well.

End of Part One. Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home