Monday, September 12, 2005

Weekend Update - Part Two

Here we are again gentle readers. This is Part Two of my weekend in Minneapolis for my niece’s wedding.

Cruising Downtown Minneapolis
My Brother had his mind sort of set on cruising around the city for part of the day. We had tons of time to kill what with waking up around 8:00 AM and the wedding not being until 4:00 PM.

We headed off after breakfast to see what we could find. He drove and I handled the navigation. I think I did as good of a job as the nav-computer in the Big Guy’s Honda. Granted my voice is not like the one in the computer, I do have the ability to think around traffic jams and missed turns and can see short cuts on a map.

The first stop was the Metrodome. I have no idea why we went there except that the Brother wanted to see it. It was strange to see people gathering for a college football game that early in the day. All I can say about the Metrodome is that it is big and round and sort of a dullish grey color.

Then, we went on to find a restaurant that my Brother had been in years ago. We had no idea if it still existed so we asked a helpful doorman at the Minneapolis Hilton Hotel. Yes, Murray’s was still in business and he gave us the necessary directions. It took us longer than what we thought was necessary to find the place; parking is really bad there because you can only park on one side of the street. San Francisco is even better at street parking.

Anyway.

We got there after parking and then walking a block. It still has the same food on the menu. I think the prices have gone up. Murray’s is an old through back, 1940s era steakhouse with dancing to a live band upstairs. If I had brought my cellphone, I could have taken a photo of my Brother in front of Murray’s

We were shocked; shocked I say when we went to leave the parking lot. It was $5.00 for the first half hour. We nearly had a stroke. $5.00 for thirty minutes is more expensive than a lot of places in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Lunch
We were hungry and knew we needed to eat before the wedding. On the way back to the hotel, we stopped at a local Houlihan’s Restaurant. It was as we expected it would be. We sat in the bar and watched the Michigan – Notre Dame football game.

My Brother had a burger and fries and an iced tea. I had a turkey club sandwich and a great bowl of tomato basil soup and an Arnold Palmer [half iced tea and half lemonade]. We had a great server, Aimee, who looked stunning. Even if I had my cellphone, it would have been too dark to take a photo of Aimee, assuming she gave me permission to do so. The food was very good and filling. I indulged myself with a dish of vanilla ice cream for dessert.

For the record, it was a small dish. Aimee did not think ahead to encourage a nice tip by increasing the amount of ice cream.

I only have eleven more subjects to talk about from the weekend so I ought to finish before too long. I may end up combining some of the topics to save time and space. It is much easier to write a Weekend Update as you go along but I was not going to lug my laptop to Minnesota and back to save a few hours at home.

Non-Deconstruction Days
I guess the work on my floor in the office building is finished at Day 15. The old paint cans have been taken away and the walls were all touched up. New signs have gone up in the hall.

Our office’s custom signs have not been put back up yet. I think they have been down since before July. The emergency sign in the elevator lobby is still missing. All in all, I think I will give the building credit for a completed job.

It was Day 40 at the building next door and nothing happened since I checked in on the building on Thursday before I left work for the day. I wonder when work will start up again next door.

Morton’s Steak and Lobster Dinner
The Big Guy and I connected today. He had to go to school early to return the movie camera he checked out over the weekend. We picked a day for the dinner, September 24th. This day was a compromise choice and seemed to make the best of the available days for us. I know I have no desire to drive out to the restaurant after work for dinner.

We decided to invite my friend Sharon because she is fun to be around and likes going to Morton’s with us. We also plan to invite the Big Guy’s friend Evelyn because you can never have too many “hot chicks” around you and the Big Guy’s friend Robin.

The Big Guy said Robin may want to bring his girl friend. This is not a big deal since she is a vegetarian and does not have a fun time at the steakhouse. The last time she went with us, Robin and the Big Guy had an eating contest with steak as the primary ingredient. I think she was not pleased with the contest or the outcome.

Power Failure
The power in most of the City of Los Angeles went out for up to two hours today. Power in our building was out for about forty minutes. Our office is in the City of Los Angeles. All I did was read today’s Wall Street Journal from cover to cover today by the big conference room window.

I was the senior person in the office today and will be for the rest of the week. This is the Toronto Film Festival and two other senior managers from the Film Finance division are there for the week.

The power failure was not an act of terrorism. The Los Angeles city workers cut the wrong electrical cable and caused the outage. Of course, nothing will happen to them because they are civil service workers. You can be lazy, slow, and even incompetent but you can’t get fired as a city worker.

Breaking Concrete
I think I have mentioned to you before that our building is going through a cosmetic renovation. I think we are well over a year into the process. I think this is a waste of money because the age of the building has not changed any; it is like putting new lipstick on a very old pig.

Workers started breaking up concrete this afternoon. They were working right under my office space. The noise and the vibration were very distracting. Eventually, the noise got the better of me and I had to leave early. It was either leave early or come home with a splitting headache and be stuck in heavy traffic.

I hope the workers finish off their concrete breaking work tonight so that tomorrow life will be nicer for me.

I will leave you with the sound of jackhammers pounding away on concrete and the warning bells from heavy equipment backing up. Nasty stuff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a vigilant vegetarian, I just dont like meat. I'm the only member of my family who doesnt eat it, even though my mom cooks meat with every meal. And I help her, because I know its something that my family will enjoy.

If I acted disgusted at the eating contest, which I don't recall being, then it was because of the sheer amount of food they were eating, not because of what they were eating.

I'm sorry if you thought I was unappreciative.
I had a really good time at the last dinner, and I was very grateful for the treat.

Sincerely,
Robin's Girlfriend

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home