Thursday, September 08, 2005

Weekend Preview

Well, gentle readers, it is weekend preview time. But first, the usual stuff that I write about.

Non-Deconstruction Days
It was Day 38 at the building next door and nothing happened except the security agent parked his or her car in a different spot today, hardly earth shattering.

There was some more activity on the floor today. Painters came up to the floor this afternoon and were loudly discussing what they were going to do or have done. The conversation was in Spanish so I was out of the loop.

They did rearrange the pile of paint cans in the hallway. The pile looks messier now. It was Day 13 here.

The Film Shoot
The Big Guy called today after his Film Production class. It seems he has overcome the earlier troubles he had with loading the 16 mm camera. He even helped another student who was having trouble as well.

He has to take a bunch of shots this weekend; I think he needs to take nine or so. He is planning on having his friend Robin Brown play the part of the actor in the shots. The Big Guy wanted to know if I could play the part of the actor double in case Robin is unable to do so.

I trouble the Big Guy that I will be out of town on Saturday at his cousin’s wedding. I said I could do the shots on Sunday afternoon when I return. I figured we would two to two and half hours of daylight to get the shots in. He thought that would work out nicely. We even picked a tentative venue; an empty parking lot section of a local mall.

Reading
I have a very eclectic reading style. I finished a book about gunpowder and then read a Star Trek based book. I just ordered some classic Chinese books from Amazon.com.

One of the books is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It comes in four volumes and is about 2400 pages long. This is not going to be a book I can read over the weekend. I am thinking these books will take me into the end of the year to finish.

I also ordered a couple of novels based on the Royal Navy during the Napoleonic era. They are both part of a series of books; once you start with one book, it is difficult not to finish the story out to its conclusion. These are weekend reads. They are about 350 pages long and the pages turn quickly

After all, it would be so wrong to give up blogging for reading.

The Niece’s Wedding
I have another niece’s wedding to go this weekend. It is in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second trip to Minneapolis in my lifetime. This is not a vacation destination when you live at the beach.

I talked with the Younger Brother today since he is more connected to this side of the family. I was wondering what was going to happen. All he could provide in the way of information was the wedding was going to happen on Saturday but everything was uncertain. I think we may end up having a simple dinner on Friday. Burger, fries, and cold beer would make an excellent meal in my mind.

Obviously, the wedding will play a big part of the Weekend Update for the 11th.

Consulting Project
I have agreed to take on a minor consulting project as well. I am going to help a Chinese company refashion its United States marketing and distribution strategy. This will fill up time while I am in the thin aluminum tube that is hurtling through the skies [my airplanes] this weekend.

The company’s products are unique and high quality. They are reasonably priced and are unlikely to cause the loss of any American jobs. I think the basic issue is a refocus of the company’s target market in light of its product strategy. Currently, the products are not appropriate for their planned strategy.

You can make the world’s greatest buggy whip and sell it at rock bottom prices. Great as your whips are, Wal-Mart is not going to order any in the very near future.

My biggest challenge will be persuading the owner to change is ideas. I think I know more about the American consumer, having been one for over fifty years. Time will tell if I am correct or not.

That about wraps things up for Thursday. I hope you all have a great weekend and I will see up again in the 11th.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home