Thursday, October 06, 2005

Go Angels

Go Angels
I was not here last night. I got home later than usual because I had to go to the market for food and other necessities of life, toilet paper for one.

When I finally got home, I turned on ESPN and started to watch the Angels – Yankees baseball playoff game. The game was compelling and I stayed until the Angels won and tied the best of five games series at one win each. I was way past very ready for bed when the game ended so I went to bed instead of posting here.

My Brother wants to see the Houston Astros play the New York Yankees in the World Series so Roger Clemens can pitch against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium. I think it would be better to see Clemens pitch against Randy Johnson. That would be an epic match-up.

I am entitled to own my personal life and to do what I want to do with it.

Days
It was Day 58 today and nothing happened at the deconstruction site.


The Younger Brother Visit
My Younger Brother stopped by my office today for a brief visit on his way back to San Francisco. He was in town on some sales calls and my office was only 200 yards or so out of his way from his last call on his way to the airport for a flight home.

He got to meet Vivian the Office Assistant today. She validated his parking in the building and saved him a bunch of money. She said afterwards that, “You two don’t look very much alike.” We don’t so I had to agree with Vivian’s assessment.

The Brother also wanted to see the building that I write about under the Days topic. He agreed that there was nothing happening today. He also agreed that the two forlorn palm trees on the roof are sad and forlorn. I don’t know if I mentioned it or not before that the palm trees are potted palm trees and are, therefore, small.

I gave him a quick tour of the office. He was impressed at how neat and quiet the office was; I think he was in the office at a slow time.

We concluded his visit by exchanging company pens.

The pen exchange seemed to strike me as something out of the Cold War where the diplomats have just concluded some important negotiations and they have signed the agreement. As a gesture of friendship or conciliation, the diplomats exchanged the pens they used to sign the agreement.

Cue the photographers and everyone say, “Cheese.” [Flash bulbs go pop, pop, pop.]

The Big Guy and the G5
The G5 is still not Internet ready; tomorrow should be the big day to get it up and online. If the tech support people have their acts together, it just may happen.

The Big Guy called with a question about printing a PowerPoint presentation. He decided to call the local tech support guy and got through on the second ring.

There was no crummy music on hold or endless telephone button pushing in an attempt to narrow down the choices and options.

There was only a do this, then do that, now click print, then click ok. The document printed out nicely and that was that. We were finished before he would have heard a human voice from Earthlink.

It was all good.

Market
I went to the market last night on the way home from the office. I am not sure this was the best possible solution since it was a scorching hot day. It was 90F / 32C at 6:45PM at the market about three miles from my house. That’s way hot for the beach area.

I saw an interesting Asian woman in the market and we passed in the aisles several times. I was tempted to say something but decided to pass. This was a wise decision since her boyfriend was waiting for her in her car.

If nothing else, it was good practice at making eye contact and getting an attractive young woman to smile at me.

I had expected to find Halloween supplies in the market since Halloween is a couple of weeks away. Most of the stuff was bagged candy and some costumes.

I was taken aback by the sight of Christmas decoration stuff in the market in the first week in October.

That is just so wrong.

On the other hand, it may be sign the retailers are expecting a bad Holiday season and starting to move the merchandise early. This may mean bigger sales and discounts that would clearly benefit consumers.

I would be a beneficiary of the bigger discounts and sales. Sharon has almost convinced me to buy a digital camera and a big screen television. I am leaning towards buying the camera now and picking up the television in February after I get my 2005 bonus check.

Weekend Preview
Sharon may or may not come over to my house for dinner on Sunday. I am cooking stuffed swordfish with linguini and tomato pesto sauce. There will be a spinach salad and sourdough bread. Sharon doesn’t drink so I don’t know what kind of wine I will buy for myself.

Dessert will come from my local Italian deli, Giuliano’s. I have been going there since 1978 and have yet to be disappointed.

I plan to go see the SERENITY and maybe WALLACE AND GROMIT movies over the weekend.

Doug and I are planning to get together on Friday night after my class at school. It will be a late meal at around 8:30 – 9:00 PM. Still, it will be worth the wait. I expect we will go to Albertacos since we haven’t been there in a while.

Monday is a bank holiday, Columbus Day. I have the day off but Sharon has to work. We are currently planning for me to drive to Sharon’s office in downtown Los Angeles and have lunch.

I have mixed views on the idea of the lunch. If I go, I will have to get shaved and cleaned up; made presentable you know on a day when I don’t have to. But Sharon is fun to be with so I will make an effort.

Programming Change
The Weekend Update will not appear until Monday, October 10th sometime in the afternoon on the West Coast of the United States.

Be well and stay happy and Go Angels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home