Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Records and Other Things

Today was a minor day for records; personal records mostly.

Records
I achieved my 1,000th data search for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. I still have not found any signs of intelligent life out there but then we created that stinker of a film DIRTY LOVE so maybe we should not be so quick to judge other life forms.

On Monday, I had twenty unique visitors to the blog. This is a record for days when there has not been a link to the site. Most were from North America but there were others including two new visitors from South America and one regular visitor from Korea.

If you like what I write, tell others to visit the blog.

If you don’t like what I write, maybe I will change. Then again, it is my blog after all so I may not agree to change anything except my underwear.

Days
It was Day 51 today and for a moment I thought I saw some activity on the site. After putting my glasses on, I discovered that it was only the security agent wandering around the deserted site.

Work
Work for me was half lost today. Our network connection was out of commission for almost five hours. I know it was almost five hours because I was the first to notice the trouble when I arrived a little before 7:00 AM.

The failed network connection meant we had no phone service unless you count Fax machines. I had to participate in a conference call on my cell phone and that was no fun. I would have preferred to shut my office door and place the call on the speaker phone so I did not get sore arms from holding a phone.

I store my work product on an off-site server. The IT guys say this helps data security management and it makes our examiners happy. Personally, I think it is an IT power trip but I will go along with the flow of bits and bytes.

Since the network connection was down, I couldn’t get to any of my work. This all meant that I did not get too much accomplished this morning or all day for that matter.

Nice Guy Chuck
I really am a nice guy even if I work for a bank as a loan officer. Really, I am a nice guy.

I know you read about the steak and lobster dinner that I went to with the Big Guy and my friend Sharon on Saturday. I also ordered a roast prime rib [center cut] with a baked potato and sour cream and bacon bits to go for the Big Guy’s mother. I think that was nice of me.

How many men will order an excellent dinner for their ex-wives? I don’t how many would but I would be willing to guess that it is not a large number.

More Nice Guy Chuck
This is almost too much for me, being nice and all.

My friend Sharon doesn’t like her job.

There are a lot of problems at her work and they are mostly caused by [a] taking on too much work at the very last minute and [b] not being able to plan beyond the end of the week. This is mostly crummy management. Any competent manager knows the skills, abilities, and limits of his or her staffers. Only a fool takes on more work that can be accomplished in the allotted time. Not planning is a glaring management crime.

Being a nice guy, I found two jobs that Sharon is very well qualified for and sent them to her. One of them is near perfect for her since it would allow her to control her functional responsibility completely while allowing her to plan for a year in advance. On addition to having control, it is much closer to home and that is a big plus with high gasoline prices.

Lastly, the job has a minor fringe benefit for me. Sharon would only have to work a couple of weekends a year instead of a couple of weekends a month like she does now.

Those of you out there can draw your own conclusions. Be creative. Use your own pens, paints, crayons, and paper.

DVRville
DVRville is the Big Guy’s new home.

He seems to become more fascinated and enamored with his new digital video recorder with each passing day. He can see no reason to want to leave his house except to walk Nelson the dog and go to school or maybe to go hang with his Dad and grab some food at the same time.

The Big Guy has been raving about his DVR in his blog [http://skeetonmischa.blogspot.com] for the last couple of days.

Oh yeah, in case you haven’t figured this out by now, I have yet to learn how to do a link to another site. I should make the Big Guy a team member so he can handle those tasks for me.

I think that would make the site better.

The Big Guy says I should get a DVR so I won’t miss any programs. He pointed that I missed last Saturday’s episode of The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin and I will miss next Saturday’s one as well because I was or will be out with Sharon. He said, with a DVR, that I wouldn’t miss an episode.

Sometimes, one has to make sacrifices for the overall good of the group. You know, “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”

And so gentle readers, I will go outweigh myself with other things before bed. Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home