Sunday, September 25, 2005

Weekend Update

Happy Birthday Bro.

Blogosphere Milestone.
This is my 150th blog posting.

Hello gentle readers, I had a great weekend and I hope your time away from work was rewarding and fun.

I don’t have a lot to say today because I did not do very much this weekend. I got my Prelude washed and waxed. It was long overdue for a cleaning. It looks so much nicer now. I even think it runs better because it is clean.

My old printer failed me this past week so I bought a new, smaller sized one. It will still print in color, copy, and act as a scanner. It just has a lower profile and a smaller footprint on the desk top.

While I was at the computer store, I had a chance to check out the plasma big screen televisions. I can see myself scoring a big screen in February after I get my bonus for 2005. That would be a nice way to start the year off.

Morton’s Steak & Lobster dinner
The Big Guy and I went to Morton’s for the Steak and Lobster dinner. I brought my friend Sharon because we like having her join us for dinner and, as the Big Guy says, you can never have too many hot chicks around.

We had our favorite server Amy again on Saturday. She is so friendly and makes us feel like we were truly welcome guests. We also like Amy because she does just a superb job. I think Amy is one of the main reasons why we to go to Morton’s.

The Big Guy and Sharon decided to not go with the small steak that was part of the special. They opted for the larger Chicago style rib eye steak that we all love. I had the small steak that went with the dinner; I did not feel like stuffing myself. As it was Sharon started falling asleep in the car on the way back to her house so I knew she was full and satisfied.

My son decided to show up his Dad last night. I had talked with Sharon about what I was planning to wear. Sharon said for me to leave my tie at home and dress casually because she was going to do that. I told the Big Guy that I was skipping the tie and he said he would wear one.

When I told Sharon that he was going to wear a tie and she said that he won’t; it was not like him to wear a tie.

Sure enough, he wore a suit and a tie. Sharon raved about how handsome he looked in the suit. Good thing she is not young enough to go out with him.

Sharon had talked about wearing jeans and a blouse and a blazer. Instead, she wore a sweater and stripped dress pants. It was a stunning outfit. I thought she looked perfect.

Friday evening class
I had my seminar of Friday evening. With the new semester, it was a full roster of students. The class went longer than the scheduled two hours. I stuck around for about two and a half hours. We had one presentation that went longer than it should have lasted.

The student was arguing with the professor about his presentation. If the student had been listening to what the professor was saying, it would have been done in almost half of the time.

I ended up getting home around 10:00 PM because I stopped at Fatburger for a hamburger and fries to go.

On the plus side, I learned from Amy that Morton’s serves dinner until 11:00 PM on the weekend and that she works on the weekends and Friday. This means I could go to Morton’s for dinner after class and have Amy as my server. That is an excellent idea. The Big Guy said he would be willing to join me for a late dinner so he would not have to eat alone. That was sporting of him.

Digital cable and digital video recorder
The Big Guy finally got his new digital video recorder hooked up to his television and life was suddenly excellent for him. He told me that he had programmed in all of his favorite shows as soon as it was hooked up.

He recorded a spaghetti western marathon while we were eating dinner on Saturday.

The Big Guy said he also programmed in his mother’s favorite shows as well. The way he described it, it sounded more like an after thought. Oh well, I still can’t get my VCR to work with my cable box so I should not talk.

The American Film course
The Big Guy has to write a paper for his American Film class. He picked D. W. Griffith to write on. He borrowed my DVD copies of BIRTH OF A NATION and INTOLLERANCE; probably Griffith’s most well known works.

I also lent him my DVD copy of some Biograph Studio shows that Griffith made. I think this is a more rounded view of Griffith and probably one that most of his classmates will not include in their papers.

Weekend Movies
I was able to see both of the films that I had planned on seeing this weekend.

THE CORPSE BIRTH is an excellent claymation film by Tim Burton. I really liked his NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS so this film seemed like a continuation of the earlier film. I was surprised at how small children were at my showing of the film. I was thinking that they would find it upsetting but I heard so crying so I guess this film is suitable for kids that are, say, 10 or older. One surprising element is the songs and music that make this film more like a musial comedy of the 1940s than anything else.

I also liked the film because it had a really great tribute to Ray Harryhousen in it. If you like the cinema, you will understand why it was there.

I would recommend it highly.

The other film was the LORD OF WAR with Nicholas Cage. This film is not for everyone; it is full of graphic death scenes. There is some nudity and adult language. I did find the subject matter interesting and that was why I went to see the film. Arms smuggling is an intriguing element to me. The film presents the disturbing morality of arms sales to third world parties, and makes reference to some sales that may have been condoned by the United States government. The Nicholas Cage character processes the sales because the Government does not want to become publicly involved with the buyer or his philosophy.

I would only recommend this film was those that like Nicholas Cage or the study of arms.

The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin
I was out with Sharon and the Big Guy last night so I did not see the Saturday episode. It will be interesting to see how the battle ends or ended.

Things did not go well for the Japanese in the battle. Tonight’s episode had the Japanese shogun having nightmares about the battle. It was a bad day for the Japanese navy. They lost over 20,000 men and obviously a whole lot of ships, several hundred I would suspect.

The part that makes the defeat so hard for the Japanese is that the Koreans only has 13 ships.

Following the naval victory, the Koreans followed up the fleet action with localized actions against the Japanese sea based supply lines. With the loss of command of the seas, the Japanese have been forced to retreat to be closer to their main supply base and to avoid being cut off by the advancing Korean and Chinese forces.

The Japanese, since they were unable to defeat Yi Soon-Shin at sea, attacked his home village and slaughtered most everyone including his son. Not a very honorable way of fighting for a samurai, taking revenge on unarmed civilians.

I don’t think this will change much of the outcome. Yi still has a hatred for the Japanese and the war they started. I don’t thing raiding his home village was necessarily the wisest move on the part of the Japanese. On the contrary, it is likely to fill the Korean sailors, who would follow their admiral anyway, with a renewed sense of purpose and burning desire to destroy the Japanese.

Sort of like a Korean version of Pearl Harbor.

Well, gentle readers, that was my weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home