Sunday, November 06, 2005

Monday Cometh

Monday cometh, bah
I guess Monday will cometh in spite of my very strong desire to sloth around next week. There are no ways to avoid this untimely event.

The Weekend Update posting will be shorter than usual because of the Friday morning make-up posting. You, the gentle readers, may think of this as Weekend Update Lite. I know I usually write about things chronologically but I want to start off with something that is really significant in my life.

Sharon’s Photo
The famous Sharon photo finally arrived on Saturday with the mail. It was unexpected since Sharon had said she was going to mail, then give it to me in person, then couldn’t find it in her cubicle.

Sharon is just simply stunning in the photo. That’s my opinion; I sent the Princess and Doug a scanned copy of the photo and I am waiting to see if they agree with me.

I was buzzing around doing things on Saturday so I did not pick up my mail until this morning after breakfast. I was very surprised to see her envelop was in the mail and I was shocked at how beautiful she is.

I’m not sure if shocked is the best choice of adjectives that I could use to describe my feelings when I first opened the protective folder that held the photo. I will say that Sharon’s nephew did a superb job of capturing her image and personality in the photo. The composition and lighting were about perfect.

In case you haven’t figured this out by now, I really care a great deal for Sharon.

Back to the weekend chronology.

School
I have a dissertation prospectus class every other Friday evening from 6:00 to 8:00 PM. This is a killer time schedule since I have to compete with everyone going home on Friday night and those trying to get out of town for the weekend. The drive to school can take anywhere between an hour to three hours and more, depending on traffic.

I was driving down the 405 Freeway to school when I passed a slow moving car. Yes, even in the crowded commute traffic in Los Angeles, there are slow moving drivers. When I pulled alongside of the other car, I saw the driver was probably lost.

The other driver was talking to someone on her cell phone. She had her Thomas Brothers freeway road map open and resting on the steering wheel. I want to think she had at least one hand on the steering wheel. I decided to keep my belief and not confirm it by looking further. There are just some bits of information that one can live without and still be happy. This was one of those information bits.

School was good for me on Friday.

I helped out another student in my class while I was waiting for class to start. I am not sure she has thought through her dissertation topic clearly. I tired to point out to her that gathering the data was going to be a killer challenge and problem, in addition to the fact the professor has already voice serious misgivings about her topic choice.

I ran into one of my former dissertation committee members while I was killing time. He asked how things were with me and how was the dissertation coming along. I told him that I was confident that I would have my fourth topic approved soon and would be asking him to serve again on my committee. He expressed interest in serving on the committee again. That made me feel good.

Friday’s class was a presentation of my proposal. The professor said I made a very good first effort and that I only had a few areas to work before it will be accepted. One of my good friends’s had his presentation accepted on Friday night; it was his fifth revision.

Albertacos
After class, I drove a little further down the 405 Freeway to pick up Doug for dinner.

We had our usual Friday night dinners at Albertacos; two Number 8s, two medium drinks, and two carne asada soft tacos. It was slow when we arrived just before 9:00 PM. I guess we got there after the dinner crowd and before the after the high school football game crowd.

We were about half way through our dinner when a bunch of high school girls came giggling into the storefront restaurant. Doug thought they had been or were drinking. They were obviously underage and desperately trying to look older and sophisticated.

I watched as one of the girls sprinted for the ladies room. She lost part of it before she made it to the door. She spent at least the next five minutes in the ladies room, probably getting sick all over. I supposed she blamed the mess on the food or some other lame excuse.

I know the Princess would be very unimpressed with these girls’ performance. The Princess has a very low tolerance for sloppy and messy drinking. I don’t think she would want them in her sorority at the University of South Carolina. None of the girls looked like they could handle two of the Princess’ friends, Jim Beam and Jack Daniels.

Episode III
On the way to class on Friday, I picked up my wide screen copy of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I feel so complete now that I have all six on DVDs. I was glad I had pre-ordered my copy as the shelves looked on the bare side unless you wanted a full screen version. Then, there were plenty of copies to pick from.

Saturday odds and ends
I slothfully slept in on Saturday since I did not get home from the South O.C. until almost 11:00 PM.

The Prelude needed an oil change so I took care of that in the morning. I had a discount coupon from some quick oil place near my house so I went there. Since it was my first time, the attendant said they were not on commission and only wanted to provide me with the best service.

Even though he was not on commission, he almost magically reappeared by the car window every five minutes or so with a suggestion to purchase an additional service beyond the simple oil change. Did I want to flush the cooling system; did I want to add some engine treatment; did I want to buy a can of gasoline injector treatment? He sure acted like he was on commission.

It was warm and nice on Saturday so I went out on the balcony and read for two hours and smoked a cigar. It was a very nice way to spend a couple of hours.

I am now into Volume IV of The Three Kingdoms. The story is getting close to a conclusion. I have about 250 or so pages left to read. I should finish the book by this coming weekend. Friday is a bank holiday in the United States so job hunting will be dead for me; that is my extra time to read.

Saturday ended with me going to see a play. I had asked Sharon to go with me. When I asked her, she said she thought she had a conflict. Sharon said she would get back with me but go caught up in other activities. I called her because she sometimes needs to be reminded. I was going to re-invite her until she said she had a family funeral on Saturday. That convinced to not bring the subject up.

I invited a woman in my building to go with me and she was happy to go. We have been nodding acquaintances for several years so it seemed like a good decision.

Anyway, back to the play.

We saw Sister’s Christmas Catechism. It is a comedy and part of a series of plays built around a nun who teaches in a Catholic school. We had a wonderful time at the play. We laughed and understood what was going on even though neither one of us was raised in the Catholic Church. For the record, I was raised in one of those “off-shot Christian religions” as Sister referred to my Protestant upbringing.

Since I went to the play, I did not turn in on the Korean language station to see if they had launched another historical drama series. If they did launch a new series, I know that I can miss an episode here and there because they tend to overlap each other and I have been able to figure things out because some of the characters are very transparent.

Sunday Stuff
I slept in again today because I got home late again last night.

After reading the fat Sunday paper, I drove over to my local Target store to buy a photo frame for Sharon’s photo. I found a nice Art Deco style frame in chrome with some red resin trim. It presents a nice contrast to the darker colors of the photo.

My big future decision about the photo is do I take into the office in my next job? Arguably, there is nothing with the photo as far as I am concerned.

Having said that, I know there are some who would find fault with the photo and say it is too suggestive and risqué. Some would say that the photo shows too much of her legs. You can see more skin from women’s legs just by walking through the halls of a Catholic high school between classes than you can see in the photo. Some would say her pose is suggestive and I would say that sitting on a stool, fully clothed is hardly suggestive.

Some might say her smile is too beguiling. I think they would have me dead solid on that count. But, in my defense, I would say that the Mona Lisa’s smile in beguiling and almost all beautiful women have beguiling smiles, just look through any current issue of People, US, or Entertainment Weekly.

So, I will just enjoy her photo all to myself and be very, very happy.

There was no historical Korean epic drama on television tonight; just an old style variety show. Since the show was in Korean, naturally, without subtitles, there was no reason for me to watch it. I will check next Saturday and see if there is the historical drama on Saturdays only.

That was the rest of my weekend gentle readers. I hope you had a great weekend.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home