Sunday, October 30, 2005

Weekend Update

Nelson – Rest in Peace
Nelson was the Princess and Doug’s day.

She was put to sleep on Saturday after a long life. I think she was 14 or 15 years old but had been in declining healthy for the last few years. Things got progressively worse until she was laid to rest.

The Princess picked Nelson out of a crowd of puppies at the local animal shelter. I’m not sure why she chose the dog, maybe it looked energetic when they went to pick one out. I suppose you are wondering why a female dog would be called Nelson. At the time, the Princess was enamored with the rock group, Nelson, hence the name.

I don’t think anyone knows what sort of mix Nelson was. The Princess said she was part rotwieler and part wiener dog. I could agree with that mix, she was always barking at me even though I came around the house on a regular basis.

When the Princess was in high school and doing whatever she did to occupy her time. Doug took care of the dog. He would walk her regularly come rain or shine although the walks in the rain were shorter.

After the Princess went off to college, Nelson became Doug’s dog. She slept in his room, sometimes on his bed and sometimes on the floor. He even named his production company for his high school, local cable access video show Nelson – Hannibal Productions. The dog’s photo was the company’s symbol.

Doug changed his schedule to accommodate Nelson. When she was in failing health, he made his class selections with a view towards being able to spend time at home so he could take care of Nelson.

Anyway, Nelson has passed on and we will all miss her, even me.

The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin
To my surprise last night, the Korean television broadcast showed a one hour retrospective of the year long historical drama. It was an interesting recap of the show.

Yi’s fleet either 23 or 30 battles and did not suffer lose one battle. In one battle, the Japanese lost 59 out of 75 ships and the Koreans didn’t even have a battle death. That is a remarkable record.

The broadcast claimed his victory at Hansando was one of the four greatest naval victories of all time. I can think of some of the other three, Salamis, Lepanto, and the Armada. I’m don’t recall studying the battle when I was in college in the Navy Reserve Officer Training Corps.

The fact that most impressed me was the ability to the Koreans and the Japanese for that matter to handle their ships in the open waters of the Sea of Japan. The ships were flat bottomed for the most part which made them unstable on the high seas. They could only use their sails with a directly following wind unlike contemporary European ships that tack with the wind.

The Koreans and the Japanese both carried them main battery on the upper deck. This must have created a tremendous stability problem with having so much weight so high up. It is a wonder they were able to sail on the high seas at all.

I was surprised to learn the Koreans’ largest cannon fired a 34 kilogram or 75 pound ball accurately about one kilometer. Lord Nelson’s HMS Victory fired a 64 pound ball but from only the lower gun deck. While the Koreans had larger armament than their European contemporaries, the Europeans were superior sailors who sailed better built ships. And, the Europeans combined the long range gunnery that the Koreans favored along with the favored boarding tactics of the Japanese.

I am guessing that tonight there will be a new Korean historical drama for me to become engrossed in for the balance of the next twelve months.

Andy Sippy
I went to see my tailor from Hong Kong on Saturday. I was good to see him again. I exercised extreme restraint and only order two sports coats. One is a regular blue blazer and the other is sort of a mustard brown blazer. With some luck, I should have the blazers by early January.

Andy showed me absolutely wonderful fabric this time around. Naturally, it was English woolen material. It was the finest suit material I have ever felt and probably would have tossed down an order for two or three suits except for the price of $1,000 each. That was a wee bit on the steep side, especially since I have new eight suits in the closet within the last eighteen months. I will probably purchase one in a year when I get really tired of two suits that I have had since January 1997. I think that owning and wearing a suit for over nineteen years is reason enough to buy a replacement.

More bad tats
I got to Andy’ hotel early so I killed time by people watching in the lobby.

I saw a young Asian woman walking around talking on a cell phone, hardly unusual there. She was wearing a short skirt low on her hips, and nothing out of the ordinary here.

She turned around and faced away from me while she was talking on the phone. Her turn exposed her nasty case of throng creep above the top of skirt as well as what appeared to be two, matching tats on her butt cheeks. They were small and grayish and, since she was walking away from me, I could not tell what the design was and I had no desire to get out of the chair and go take a closer look.

I was so turned off that I changed chairs so I would not be looking at here. Sometimes, one has to do things like this.

Sunday morning fog
Now, I live at the beach so fog is not unusual here.

This morning’s early fog was on the east or land side of the hill that my building is on. The fog had blanketed the area and only tall trees and office buildings were showing above the ground fog. It had an eerie, Halloween look to it.

The fog was gone in less than four hours. We have a nice pleasant day to enjoy.

Sunday marketing
I went to the market because I was out of food. This was an excellent reason to buy more food. I also continued to pick up the necessary food for the holiday cooking. It is much easier to buy the food as you see it instead of running around at the last minute, running a chance that it will not be there.

I saw a woman who looked interesting in the aisles today. She was not wearing a wedding ring so that was a good sign. I was going to say something to her but at the last moment I saw four, large gallon containers of milk in her shopping cart. This stopped me in my tracks because I came to the tenuous, but reasonable, conclusion that she was a single mother who had a couple of kids at home. That was not a situation that interested me at all.

I saw the mother again at the checkout line. She had enough food to feed a small army. Ok, maybe not enough to feed an army but enough to feed a medium sized family for a week or two. The only logical reason she was buying that much food was there were multiple mouths at home to feed.

I will wait for a single woman with no children at home. She can be closer to my age with adult children that are out of the house. That is fine with me.

In my wandering up and down the aisles, I stopped in the liquor section. I take a drink every day because my doctor says it is good for me. He says I can have a can of beer, a glass of wine, or a shot of whisky. I take the whiskey because I am a Scotch whisky drinker.

I saw one 1 ½ liter bottle of Scotch whisky that was very attractively priced. I was going to buy it even though it was a blended whisky instead of my usual single malt whisky. Then, I saw it came in a plastic bottle. I know that no good Scotch whisky would ever come in plastic bottles.

So, I passed on that bottle and purchased a bottle of moderately priced, single malt that I have not tried before. I know that I am drinking an unknown whisky but it can’t be worse than the blended whisky in the plastic bottle. The plastic bottle made me think of wines that are sold in cardboard boxes with plastic liners. That is just so wrong.

I think the plastic bottle beverage would probably be excellent as paint remover. It does not belong in my stomach.

Normally, I do not pay much attention to newspaper market coupons, I give those to Doug’s mother [ex-wife] and even less attention to the ones they generate when you checkout. Today, I made a modest change. I got a coupon for $5.00 off my next bottle of Chivas Regal Scotch whisky. I am not a Chivas drinker; but for $5.00, I certainly can become one and will be one next month.

Bad Ideas
Everyone should be creative. New ideas and products help expand and drive the economy. Some ideas should never ever see the light of day. I question their creators’ intentions.

Last night, I was watching television for The Immortal Yi Soon-Shin. I tuned in early and caught the end of a Japanese language news program. I’m not sure where I saw the ad but I did see the ad.

The advertisement in questions was a product called, and I am not kidding here, tofu steak.

Tofu steak?

That is just so wrong. The very thought of it makes my stomach churn. It is clearly an evil product.

And so, gentle readers, that was my weekend. I hope your weekend was enjoyable for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home