Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Jury Duty for Doug

Jury Duty and Doug
Doug and I had a long talk about jury duty the other day.

Most of the conversation was on how to avoid serving on a jury. I did my part to encourage his civic duty.

At first, he was concerned about being stuck on a long trial. I told him that the long trials are likely to be held at the main county courthouse and not the branch where he is going to spend sometime. I said that he would probably see only low level crimes like driving under the influence or marijuana possession or maybe civil matter like a slip and fall injury or a contract suit.

Doug suggested that he go to the courthouse with a copy of The Economist under his arm. He felt that it was a liberal publication and that might get him off of the jury. I pointed out the magazine is an international business publication and that, by reading it, he might end on a complex civil trial over non-performance of a contract.

Not a good idea.

We talked about driving under the influence [DUI] cases. I suggested that he say that he rarely drinks and doesn’t drink and drive and that he thinks people who drink and drive are stupid and deserve to be punished. I said that is likely to get him off of that jury.

Doug said he was going to pull the “I’m a student and I still have work to turn in before January 1st” trick. I said it wouldn’t work because the judge was a student once and knows all of the tricks. I said the judge was likely to say that he could work on his projects at night.

Yes, I know that would interfere with his Winter break movie viewing plans.

I also suggested that if he is being considered for a robbery case that he say his father is a retired credit union president and that he believes robbers are dangerous and should be locked up in prison for a very long time. I have never ever been fond of people who rob others. Bank robbers are the worst and the most stupid because the arrest and conviction rate is around 97% and you get to do time in a Federal prison where there is no time off for good behavior. Bank robbery is a Federal crime.

Actually, I don’t think he realizes how good he has it. He only has to show up on one day and if he is never called, he is off the hook for awhile. My first jury duty was in Beverly Hills and I had to go there for a solid week and sit on rock hard benches with no television and no cell phone and no i-Pod. W only had two year old magazines and anything we brought with ourselves.

Job Searching and Interviewing
I came up with a name for Michelle the recruiter on my way into work this morning. She was very happy that I came up with a name for her. She was even happier since my candidate had a lot of the qualifications she was looking for. I also think it will be an easy sale for Michelle since my candidate is not making the entry level pay of $120,000.

Michelle is probably thinking of a nice fat commission check from this placement. And, what perfect timing for it to come at year-end.

I checked the potential employer’s website. I was no where near close to what they were looking for. I would have loved to work there since the job site is only three miles from my house. It is a Chinese American bank so there would be a high likelihood that some of the staff would be Chinese American females and that would all good for me. But, I lacked the accounting background.

Some things just don’t add up for me.

DVD searching
The Big Guy called me today. I think he was out thinking about a Christmas gift for dear old Dad. Doug wanted to know if I had SIN CITY, the unrated version, [no, but I would like it] and KUNG FU HUSTLE [no, and no interest in having it].

I think I helped him out a bit with my answers.

There are so many other good choices out there for a DVD. You have 2046, the original KING KONG, THE DEVIL’S REJECTS, UGETSU, and POLAR EXPRESS.

I have my list of DVDs to get after Christmas. I will enjoy going to DVD Planet.com; I will probably go on a Saturday and drag Doug along so we can go gorge ourselves at the Original Tommy’s Burgers.

That was most of my day. It was slow in the courtyard today for a change.

Be well and stay happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home